John Adams: Serrano should be next

The population of Tennessee is much less than Georgia or Florida. That's not a revelation.

There are ten players from Tennessee on Vandys roster, by the way. Ten players over 4 classes. That's 2 1/2 signees per year. They aren't taking all of the top instate talent.

This year's Vandy team doesn't start a single position player from the state of Tennessee.

Raby's in the rotation as a starting pitcher, Reed Hayes has been a versatile player both as a bat and a reliever, and freshman Zach King has really contributed as of late out of the pen. Outside of that Tennessee players have not played a huge role on this team.

This year's Vandy team doesn't start a single position player from the state of Tennessee.

Raby's in the rotation as a starting pitcher, Reed Hayes has been a versatile player both as a bat and a reliever, and freshman Zach King has really contributed as of late out of the pen. Outside of that Tennessee players have not played a huge role on this team.

There are a number of players on that roster that would be playing on the Vols roster.

The population of Tennessee is much less than Georgia or Florida. That's not a revelation.

And unlike football recruiting when you have to go to the more populated areas to recruit the talent there is a price to pay when it's out of state. ThAnsk for making my point.

There are a number of players on that roster that would be playing on the Vols roster.

Do you have specifics outside the three I mentioned? Colin Snider maybe?

Because Vandy is having a down year. We haven't been in the top 25 for most of the season, we're barely over .500 in conference play and likely won't host a regional this year. If there were difference makers on this roster ready to contribute at an SEC level right now, they'd probably be on the field.

We have some talented freshmen that will hopefully grow into contributors, but there is not an abundance of Tennessee talent on this roster.

Additionally, in some good news for U.T., the recruiting is shifting more nationally. Vandy has 53 players committed for the next three seasons. 13 of them are in-state players, which is less than 25%.

Last edited:

Because Vandy is having a down year. We haven't been in the top 25 for most of the season, we're barely over .500 in conference play and likely won't host a regional this year. If there were difference makers on this roster ready to contribute at an SEC level right now, they'd probably be on the field.

We have some talented freshmen that will hopefully grow into contributors, but there is not an abundance of Tennessee talent on this roster.

Additionally, in some good news for U.T., the recruiting is shifting more nationally. Vandy has 53 players committed for the next three seasons. 13 of them are in-state players, which is less than 25%.

I know Walker Grisanti was badly wanted by Tennesse. King would be a weekend guy already for us. Murphy, Snider and Stover all would have much bigger roles for the Vols.

It's called sarcasm. Google it.:)

My bad, there are a bunch of dumbasses on this site, that think, we should dominate Vandy in everything, just because, we are Tennessee. But, I should have known, u knew better. Most of the time, u make good points. But, please don't act like a South Carolina fan towards me. Because, I try never to act that way toward anybody

Reactions: 2 people
I bet you are right. Probably longer than three years actually. Always wants a shake up or someone fired. Same ole story. Always negative.

Your knowledge of newspaper column writing would fit on the head of a pin. Adams is always trying to get people fired? Really? Like who--besides Warlick and Serrano, who surely deserve to be sacked. You think he's going out on a negative limb by calling for DS's head? I think it's called stating the obvious. Columnists are not paid to be homers.

That makes no sense. How many are going to actually sign? What do they have, a 30-player bench when Vandy is on the field?

I know Walker Grisanti was badly wanted by Tennesse. King would be a weekend guy already for us. Murphy, Snider and Stover all would have much bigger roles for the Vols.

Penn Murfee is a fifth generation Vanderbilt legacy whose father swam for the Commodores. He probably wasn't going to Tennessee in any circumstance.

That makes no sense. How many are going to actually sign? What do they have, a 30-player bench when Vandy is on the field?

That's the game in baseball. Especially if you're after top end talent. The 2018 class is a little large, but the other classes are right in line with what we normally recruit. A good number of those will get drafted and some will sign MLB contracts. The '18 class has 21 recruits, but 13 are top 100 guys so we stand to lose several to the draft.

Last year's class had I think 15 commits and 10 actually signed.

My bad, there are a bunch of dumbasses on this site, that think, we should dominate Vandy in everything, just because, we are Tennessee. But, I should have known, u knew better. Most of the time, u make good points. But, please don't act like a South Carolina fan towards me. Because, I try never to act that way toward anybody

I don't get it either, the idea that Tennessee would just automatically get every instate guy that Vanderbilt has but for scholarships.

I don't know that people realize how differently the perception of SEC baseball programs is in the mid-state. This isn't 1995 (or even 2005) anymore, and people aren't just dying to sign with Tennessee. The mid-state, which is the fastet growing area of the state, has had a huge influx of people from across the south and the country, and many didn't grow up dyed in orange wool. If you go to these high end baseball events you don't see a lot of Tennessee hats in the stands.

To put it succinctly, if Vanderbilt didn't exist tomorrow, I don't think it's a given that Tennessee picks up all, or even most of the in-state kids on our roster.

Reactions: 1 person
And why should they with the lack of competitiveness and results UT has had over the last several years now? How long has it been since the Vols have been remotely competitive in the SEC? This has got to change soon!!!! I'm an old timer to some degree and remember some killer baseball teams at UT. We haven't approached that in years. Frustrating.

The '18 class has 21 recruits

This is clear evidence of how powerful the scholarship situation.

Let's put some perspective on this signing class. There are 28 scholarship players allowed on a roster. So in one class Vandy is signing 75% of their allowed players. To put that in football terms that would be like Butch Jones signing 63 players in one freaking class.

And I guess some on this board will claim that isn't alarming.

It's not like football, because football doesn't lose a third of their recruiting class every year to the NFL draft.

It's closer to basketball, which used to be a three recruit class, but now the high end teams might sign six or even seven in a year because of one and done attrition.

Because of the nature of the MLB draft, if you want high end talent, you basically don't carry many senior players anymore. I think Vandy has two seniors this year.

So you spread the thirty-five man roster over largely three classes. 13 of the 21 are top 100 players. So they might lose 8 players or more right off the bat.

You can either decline top end talent, or you can continue to recruit it in numbers to manage risk. Corbin has made the choice to continue to pursue it.

It's also high risk, high reward. Vandy's class got gutted last year by the draft, and no one is feeling sorry for the Dores this year because of that. Those are the breaks.

It's not like football, because football doesn't lose a third of their recruiting class every year to the NFL draft.

It's closer to basketball, which used to be a three recruit class, but now the high end teams might sign six or even seven in a year because of one and done attrition.

Because of the nature of the MLB draft, if you want high end talent, you basically don't carry many senior players anymore. I think Vandy has two seniors this year.

So you spread the thirty-five man roster over largely three classes. 13 of the 21 are top 100 players. So they might lose 8 players or more right off the bat.

You can either decline top end talent, or you can continue to recruit it in numbers to manage risk. Corbin has made the choice to continue to pursue it.

It's also high risk, high reward. Vandy's class got gutted last year by the draft, and no one is feeling sorry for the Dores this year because of that. Those are the breaks.

You are missing the point. Is there anyone else signing on average that many players every class? The answer is no. The reason that is possible is clear.

You are missing the point. Is there anyone else signing on average that many players every class? The answer is no. The reason that is possible is clear.

Miami has 22 commits this year. Arkansas has 23 (followed by a class next year with 19 more commits). South Carolina has 19. That's just this year.

Most at the top of the rankings are getting 14 or 15 at least, knowing they'll lose some.

Arkansas, a state school, has more commits over the next two recruiting classes than Vanderbilt.

Last edited:
And unlike football recruiting when you have to go to the more populated areas to recruit the talent there is a price to pay when it's out of state. ThAnsk for making my point.

Making your point? Seems to me like I did just the opposite. More population, more instate talent.

Miami has 22 commits this year. Arkansas has 23 (followed by a class next year with 19 more commits). South Carolina has 19. That's just this year.

Most at the top of the rankings are getting 14 or 15 at least, knowing they'll lose some.

Arkansas, a state school, has more commits over the next two recruiting classes than Vanderbilt.

On average. Give me a breakdown of the numbers of players commmitted in each class the last 5 years

Oh look, we are still arguing why Vanderbilt is good yet we can't sniff an NCAA tournament in a decade while other public schools across the country are making it work.

I don't care to look at the averages but I follow recruiting enough to know that Florida routinely has 15-18 committed per class. Arkansas and South Carolina have similar numbers as well.

Reactions: 2 people

Sorry. It's just who I am. I'll try t do better. Not sure which would have been worse? Being linked with the "dumbassess on this site" or "South Carolina fans" but to be honest, that sounds like a redundant comparison.:)

Oh look, we are still arguing why Vanderbilt is good yet we can't sniff an NCAA tournament in a decade while other public schools across the country are making it work.

I don't care to look at the averages but I follow recruiting enough to know that Florida routinely has 15-18 committed per class. Arkansas and South Carolina have similar numbers as well.

And all the teams you are naming have a much better ability to cut corners in scholarship monies. Kentucky, Auburn and Alabama are the schools Tennesse schould he measured by as they all have similar scholarship set ups.

True, but wouldn't it be a bit hypocritical for the state's flagship institute of higher learning to have someone leading a major program that doesn't at least have an undergraduate degree?

Not really. Think about it; if some guy with an 8th grade education offered the money to build a new state of the art facility, think they wouldn't take the money? And name it after him too.

Also, baseball (or any other sport) doesn't have much to do with academia. Now if they want someone to teach.....but I always heard Dr. Cherry (Wild Bill) did not have a PhD, maybe that was an urban legend, would love to know.

Money is universal, and they don't care who gives it as long as they pocket it. Wonder how many "honorary doctorates" universities have bestowed over the years?

Bottom line, hire whom you believe is the best for the position. Then hope for the best!

Not really. Think about it; if some guy with an 8th grade education offered the money to build a new state of the art facility, think they wouldn't take the money? And name it after him too.

Also, baseball (or any other sport) doesn't have much to do with academia. Now if they want someone to teach.....but I always heard Dr. Cherry (Wild Bill) did not have a PhD, maybe that was an urban legend, would love to know.

Money is universal, and they don't care who gives it as long as they pocket it. Wonder how many "honorary doctorates" universities have bestowed over the years?

Bottom line, hire whom you believe is the best for the position. Then hope for the best!

Your argument only flies if one believes that the university exists to support the athletic department, and not vice versa.

I really don't believe that most have that mindset.

And all the teams you are naming have a much better ability to cut corners in scholarship monies. Kentucky, Auburn and Alabama are the schools Tennesse schould he measured by as they all have similar scholarship set ups.

Great. Let's start performing as well as Auburn and Kentucky then. Just make a dang NCAAT 2 or 3 times every 6 or 7 years. I'm not asking for a dynasty here.

VN Store

Back