John Adams: Serrano should be next

I'd bet he hasn't been to a UT baseball game in over 3 years.

I bet you are right. Probably longer than three years actually. Always wants a shake up or someone fired. Same ole story. Always negative.

^ this

It's not like Vandy, Virginia, Florida, etc are recruiting "too well" and are left with nothing.

They manage the recruiting risk better than everyone else.

They have very little risk. Vandy and UVA have it made. Their $ pool is much larger.

So are Vandy and Virginia the other worthwhile baseball schools?

What about Texas Tech or Florida or LSU or A&M or Oregon State or Louisville or South Carolina or Southern Miss or Mississippi State or Arizona or Ole Miss?

They managed to overcome whatever scholarship issues everyone seems to think is holding UT back.

Why are Miami and Rice and USC garbage now?
They don't have the $ limitations.
Why is Stanford so hot-and-cold?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

What about Texas Tech or Florida or LSU or A&M or Oregon State or Louisville or South Carolina or Southern Miss or Mississippi State or Arizona or Ole Miss?

They managed to overcome whatever scholarship issues everyone seems to think is holding UT back.

Yep. Coastal Carolina is the defending CWS champion, for goodness sake. For CC to be able to win it all, there are no excuses for ANY SEC/ACC/Big12 type school. None.

The scholarship debate is just a crappy excuse for those who want to moan about why Vanderbilt won a national championship. It isn't what is holding UT baseball back from being a good program.

Reactions: 3 people

No idea what you are trying to get at but glad you Brought up Stanford and Rice. Two examples of how powerful this need based aid thing really is.

Stanford went to the CWS 5 times between 2000 and 2008. Right around that same time their school decided to double their need based aid requirements from 100 to 200k family income and guess what has happened? They success has become more normal.

Rice has enjoyed Much more than an average amount of success thanks to the $ situation. They have been to 21 straight regionals and won over 40 games almost all of those years. That run is coming to end it appears but that amount of success ain't natural.

It 110% is the reason Vandy won a title.

They've invested a ton of resources into their program and have a top 5 head coach. Those probably helped them out too. We should consider doing the same.

Anyways, I'm more concerned with why we can't turn it around rather than why Vanderbilt has won more games than any program in college baseball over the past decade.

David Price and other former Vanderbilt players made a $12 million gift for a new baseball facility. When is our AD going to ask for gifts from Helton, RA, Arencebia, etc.? We have guys making money playing ball. Let's put some money into this crap and get it fixed.

Reactions: 2 people
They've invested a ton of resources into their program and have a top 5 head coach. Those probably helped them out too. We should consider doing the same.

Anyways, I'm more concerned with why we can't turn it around rather than why Vanderbilt has won more games than any program in college baseball over the past decade.

David Price and other former Vanderbilt players made a $12 million gift for a new baseball facility. When is our AD going to ask for gifts from Helton, RA, Arencebia, etc.? We have guys making money playing ball. Let's put some money into this crap and get it fixed.

They won well before all the bells and whistles and besides their stadium is at the bottom of the SeC anyway.

I feel like every single time we debate this topic it always comes back to Vanderbilt. Let's toss Vandy out of the equation for a minute. Why are the other 10 teams ahead of us in the conference every year kicking our butts?

They all whip us in recruiting and on the field. So, bingo, we have a coach problem and a facility problem. The other 10 coaches are finding ways to get kids on campus, working through the money/draft issues, and winning baseball games. Let's find one of those guys. Seriously, in this conference, just finishing in the top 8 or 9 gets you in the NCAAT. I'm not asking for Omaha right away, I'm asking to be 8th or 9th in the SEC at least 2 or 3 times in 6 years.

Making it past the first day of the SEC Tournament would be a nice change!

Yes, yes it would. I hate the new tournament format and wish they would have left it at 8 teams. However, it would be nice to win one of those single elimination games for a change.

It 110% is the reason Vandy won a title.

So, if Vandy gives everybody full rides, as many have claimed, why did Dansby Swanson come out of Vandy with huge student loan debt? That's been documented.

Maybe the reason Vandy won a title is because they evaluated and recruited well and have a tremendous coaching staff?

Tired of hearing excuses. The current coach has a conference wining percentage lower than Todd Raleigh's was. There is just no way keeping him can be justified.

Last edited:
The scholarship situation is laughable when you have 3 public schools in the poorest state in the country having sustained success over DECADES.

Private schools absolutely do have an advantage, but it's so overblown it barely deserves any attention.

Why haven't you mentioned anything about USC? A historically great private school that is no longer a good program.
Miami? They get owned by the in state public schools almost every season.

I can't tell you why Serrano isn't working out, but I can tell you that it has nothing to do with this idiotic scholarship conversation.

I would look into why Georgia isn't a consistent regional team first.

They are set up better than UT (and most of the rest of the country to be honest) and never seem to have any sustained success.

I would look into why Georgia isn't a consistent regional team first.

They are set up better than UT (and most of the rest of the country to be honest) and never seem to have any sustained success.

100% agree with this one. They underachieve in every sport. The only reason that I can think of is kids love to get out of Atlanta and Georgia and go elsewhere for college.

The scholarship situation is laughable when you have 3 public schools in the poorest state in the country having sustained success over DECADES.

Private schools absolutely do have an advantage, but it's so overblown it barely deserves any attention.

Why haven't you mentioned anything about USC? A historically great private school that is no longer a good program.
Miami? They get owned by the in state public schools almost every season.

I can't tell you why Serrano isn't working out, but I can tell you that it has nothing to do with this idiotic scholarship conversation.

You clearly lack an understanding in the importance of in state talent, in and out of state tuition cost and how % apply to baseball scholarships. The only thing idiotic is your rambling on a subject you have little aptitude for.

You clearly lack an understanding in the importance of in state talent, in and out of state tuition cost and how % apply to baseball scholarships. The only thing idiotic is your rambling on a subject you have little aptitude for.

And I think you underestimate the amount of talent in Tennessee. There is plenty enough talent for UT to get equally as good instate players as Vandy gets.

Do you know how many players from East Tennessee went in the first round of the draft last year?

South Carolina has a population of roughly 5 million, while Tennessee is at roughly 6.5 million. South Carolina's population base can support not just two perennial top 15 programs in USCe and Clemson, but the defending CWS champion just also happens to be in that state, too.

So, if almost a third less population can help sustain 3 major programs, along with some solid mid majors, then why can't Tennessee's population help supply 2 major SEC programs, along with its mid majors?

There is plenty of talent in Tennessee. The current UT coaching staff has simply mis-evaluated and ignored much of it.

And I think you underestimate the amount of talent in Tennessee. There is plenty enough talent for UT to get equally as good instate players as Vandy gets.

Do you know how many players from East Tennessee went in the first round of the draft last year?

South Carolina has a population of roughly 5 million, while Tennessee is at roughly 6.5 million. South Carolina's population base can support not just two perennial top 15 programs in USCe and Clemson, but the defending CWS champion just also happens to be in that state, too.

So, if almost a third less population can help sustain 3 major programs, along with some solid mid majors, then why can't Tennessee's population help supply 2 major SEC programs, along with its mid majors?

There is plenty of talent in Tennessee. The current UT coaching staff has simply mis-evaluated and ignored much of it.

Missing on Crowe and the kid that went to miss state was bad but getting Lingo is a sign that is changing with the new assistant coaches that do the recruiting.

But to your overall point the talent is much much much less than Georgia or Florida.

The South Carolina schools are making hay in Georgia.

I feel like every single time we debate this topic it always comes back to Vanderbilt. Let's toss Vandy out of the equation for a minute. Why are the other 10 teams ahead of us in the conference every year kicking our butts?

They all whip us in recruiting and on the field. So, bingo, we have a coach problem and a facility problem. The other 10 coaches are finding ways to get kids on campus, working through the money/draft issues, and winning baseball games. Let's find one of those guys. Seriously, in this conference, just finishing in the top 8 or 9 gets you in the NCAAT. I'm not asking for Omaha right away, I'm asking to be 8th or 9th in the SEC at least 2 or 3 times in 6 years.

Someone gets it

Reactions: 4 people
So, if Vandy gives everybody full rides, as many have claimed, why did Dansby Swanson come out of Vandy with huge student loan debt? That's been documented.

Maybe the reason Vandy won a title is because they evaluated and recruited well and have a tremendous coaching staff?

Tired of hearing excuses. The current coach has a conference wining percentage lower than Todd Raleigh's was. There is just no way keeping him can be justified.

To be fair, I don't know that it's certain that Dansby had "huge" student loan debt. But it was documented that he had to take out student loans to attend.

The idea of 30 "full-rides" is likely a myth, and the fact that some coaches toss numbers out in a hyperbolic way is not gospel truth.

It's an advantage. Like Rucker said, it's one time in one sport where Vanderbilt has an advantage as opposed to extreme disadvantages as they have in some other sports. But I'd agree with many on here that it's overblown.

I know at least one Vandy fan has mentioned that Hunter Martin was recruited by Vandy but chose U.T. So it's not true that Vandy just keeps all the in-state kids for themselves. Your current staff is also proof of that, as we could sure use some arms like Stallings and Lingenfelter.

To be fair, I don't know that it's certain that Dansby had "huge" student loan debt. But it was documented that he had to take out student loans to attend.

The idea of 30 "full-rides" is likely a myth, and the fact that some coaches toss numbers out in a hyperbolic way is not gospel truth.

It's an advantage. Like Rucker said, it's one time in one sport where Vanderbilt has an advantage as opposed to extreme disadvantages as they have in some other sports. But I'd agree with many on here that it's overblown.

I know at least one Vandy fan has mentioned that Hunter Martin was recruited by Vandy but chose U.T. So it's not true that Vandy just keeps all the in-state kids for themselves. Your current staff is also proof of that, as we could sure use some arms like Stallings and Lingenfelter.

I don't believe it's 30 full rides either but I do believe it's 30 or so 90% type of deals.

Last edited:
Missing on Crowe and the kid that went to miss state was bad but getting Lingo is a sign that is changing with the new assistant coaches that do the recruiting.

But to your overall point the talent is much much much less than Georgia or Florida.

The South Carolina schools are making hay in Georgia.

The population of Tennessee is much less than Georgia or Florida. That's not a revelation.

There are ten players from Tennessee on Vandys roster, by the way. Ten players over 4 classes. That's 2 1/2 signees per year. They aren't taking all of the top instate talent.

VN Store

Back