John Adams: Serrano should be next

Might want to check your calendar before using will Crowe as an example of why you don't like Thomas. He wasn't even at Tennesse during that time. That was the fool Bergeron.

I am talking about Patrick Raby not Crowe.

Raby isn't going to be a 1st rounder and if you want to blame anyone on that one blame CDS. I mean for goodness sakes he was on his sons team.

Vols made offer in Raby's JR season in HS. Early that summer before Sr year, the Vols demanded a commitment. Raby wasn't ready to make the commitment so the Vols pulled the offer. Lesser schools like Vandy :ermm: were willing to wait.

Vols made offer in Raby's JR season in HS. Early that summer before Sr year, the Vols demanded a commitment. Raby wasn't ready to make the commitment so the Vols pulled the offer. Lesser schools like Vandy :ermm: were willing to wait.

So it wasn't the Vols didn't offer then. Vandy can afford to wait because of $ and how many guys they take. I don't blame the staff for pushing for a commitment.

Not a fan of Adams by any means, but he has a point here.

I like Adams, but he is always trying to get people fired.

What the Hell? Let's fire all the coaches, and hire the following:

Football: Paul Reubens AKA Pee Wee Herman
Basketball: Gilbert Gottfried
Baseball: Pauly Shore
Lady Vols: Julia Sweeney from, "It's Pat"

As long as KNS fires John Adams, it ain't a bad deal.

Reactions: 1 person

Vandy may be a lesser school in football but not in baseball. They just won a National Championship, 3(or 4) years ago and came in 2nd the next year.

I think CDS main problem is that he has recruited too well. The MLB draft seems to take several of our best players, every year. Of course, CDS should, probably, know that those kids are going be drafted high and that they are going to sign with their MLB team, before he recruits them

Along with 90% of the fan base

I went to almost every game for a couple of years and was a huge supporter of Serrano, but have not been to a single game this year and probably will not attend one. I was genuinely excited by the hire and thought he would do a great job, but it's not panned out by any stretch of the imagination. I wonder if Delmonico is somewhere laughing at what has become UT baseball...

I think CDS main problem is that he has recruited too well. The MLB draft seems to take several of our best players, every year. Of course, CDS should, probably, know that those kids are going be drafted high and that they are going to sign with their MLB team, before he recruits them

Your last sentence is correct, which is why losing too many recruits to the draft is not a sign of recruiting "too well."

Major college coaches manage draft risk by aiming for those pro prospects who sincerely want the college experience and development and by only occasionally signing players who might go pro right away when they have enough depth in their recruiting classes to be ok if they lose one or two.

When insufficient numbers of the prime pro-potential-but want-college-experience players were willing to come to UT, CDS has been willing to recruit players (both JUCO and high school) who are known signing risks. The prospects use their scholarship offer as a bargaining chip with the team that drafts them, and UT gets some buzz from signing known studs. But it's not a strategy for long-term success.

Reactions: 3 people
^ this

It's not like Vandy, Virginia, Florida, etc are recruiting "too well" and are left with nothing.

They manage the recruiting risk better than everyone else.

^ this

It's not like Vandy, Virginia, Florida, etc are recruiting "too well" and are left with nothing.

They manage the recruiting risk better than everyone else.

It's called singing 20 when you need 10. That's something Vandy and others have done well and we havnt.

These coaches, with few exceptions, know who is going to end up on campus and who isn't. They juggle the numbers and make it work so they end up with a full roster of 35.

Reactions: 1 person
These coaches, with few exceptions, know who is going to end up on campus and who isn't. They juggle the numbers and make it work so they end up with a full roster of 35.

This is a lot closer than what Bruin suggested.

Baseball recruiting isn't like football recruiting.
Most of the time the coaches know if a guy is coming to school or not because of where they are projected.

This is a lot closer than what Bruin suggested.

Baseball recruiting isn't like football recruiting.
Most of the time the coaches know if a guy is coming to school or not because of where they are projected.

You are missing the point.
When scholarship $ isn't an issue it's so much easier to over sign. I agree coaches know who it's down to but having replacements on board is the important part.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back