Joe VS Past TN QBs

Like I said, I HATED watching JG play. This offense simplifies decision making and probably would've helped him a ton

The frustrating part about JG was that he looked very good in spurts, he just wasn't consistent. We also kept trying other QBs behind him that were also bad... I think a lot of it was Jones/Pruitt (or really their coordinators).

Reactions: EastTNVol423
I still think a lot of the anger was simply because of "what could have been" given his physical skill set being off the charts. If he made decisions as fast as Hooker and had an aggressive "gamer" mentality -- his stats would have been other worldly. In the end, he was a solid QB, but far from perfect. On the flip side, he didn't cause trouble, seemed fairly mature, and a was good leader so I can't really have any anger towards it all.

This is how Milton compared to past UT QBs since 2004. And he still has another game remaining. As much hate as he got, he really is a great QB (statistically).

Added through 1995 just for fun.
View attachment 598224
Stats aren't the problem. Go back and watch the Vandy game and there's a single play that shows a big Milton problem.

He moved around in the pocket at really an elite level on that play. He then threw deep down the sideline into double coverage resulting in 4th down. On the replay.... you can clearly see a wide open receiver on the same sideline in his field of vision that would have caught the ball for a 1st down.

Milton just leaves too many plays on the field.

Wonder what the average yards per play not including YAC are? This year it seemed we threw more quick outs for 1-3 yards before YAC than I can remember.

Reactions: murfvol1
Had there been no HH the past 2 seasons, JM would have looked like a world beater. JM followed the should’ve been Heisman winner so we were spoiled!
We all remember when the Vols played, I think it was Pittsburg, and JM missed wide open receivers that would have been TD's. The comments on this site was ripping him back before HH took over. You never knew which JM would show up on any given gameday.

This is a good point. It’s crazy to think what Bray would’ve been under Heupel. He had an absolute cannon. If he was in this scheme with the upgraded coaching, he could’ve been special.
Wonder how good he would have been under Kiffin?

Milton had the same problem that Tee Martin had - he followed one of the best in the sport. As such, neither will ever be good enough in the eyes of most. Milton was still good and better than many of those who have played QB in the past, but many fans will never get beyond the comparison to Hooker.

Martin overcame the comparison with Manning with the National Championship. Unfortunately for Milton that or making the SEC title game was the only way some would recognize him. Sad but true. Nico, not playing this year, saved himself from that comparison. He should tell Joe, Thank You.

From what he did for the team, Dobbs is still it for me though.

Reactions: Snapper58
Joe Milton was a victim of following historic seasons by Hooker. Hookers efficiency was all time great.. if Joe followed any other QB he would be looked at more favorably.

Stats aren't the problem. Go back and watch the Vandy game and there's a single play that shows a big Milton problem.

He moved around in the pocket at really an elite level on that play. He then threw deep down the sideline into double coverage resulting in 4th down. On the replay.... you can clearly see a wide open receiver on the same sideline in his field of vision that would have caught the ball for a 1st down.

Milton just leaves too many plays on the field.
You're exactly right. I've been in the stadium the past 2 weeks and it's way worse in person when you can see the routes develop and see the separation. I hate it for him, because he's incredible to watch when he throws with confidence, but he just never quite sees the field and his situational awareness is just oddly off at times.

Last edited:
It’s not apples to apples. None of those other quarterbacks except for hooker played and Josh Heupel system. To get a true analysis of how good he is… You need to go back and take all the other quarterbacks Heupel had for multiple years, going back to his days as the offensive coordinator at Oklahoma. my guess is that Milton will be one of if not, the worst performing quarterback hyper has ever spent more than a year mentoring.

Milton is really really bad in the biggest moments this year. He was able to perform well against Vandy, SC, etc. in lower profile games. But anytime he’s ever been on the biggest stage he just can’t hit basic 10 yard out routes even when the receiver has a couple of steps on the defender. The George game encapsulates what Milton is as a QB. Over and over again he failed to execute incredibly basic throws. I’d even add to that… He never puts any ARC on the balls. He throws, which resulted in at least three passes bat down by defensive lineman. And a couple of those came on crucial third downs when the receiver was open.

Quarterback is the toughest job because of all the information they have to process. But shuffling around until you know you have a clear, passing lane or recognizing a defender is in between you and your target so you need to put a little loft on the ball type nuance, great quarterbacks manage.

Joe Milton was a victim of following historic seasons by Hooker. Hookers efficiency was all time great.. if Joe followed any other QB he would be looked at more favorably.
That's true to some extent . . . Although, I clearly remember him doing his "stand in the pocket like a zombie" routine early in the season 2 years ago and I knew that wasn't going to work even after 4 years of Jarrett Guarantano.

Milton had the same problem that Tee Martin had - he followed one of the best in the sport. As such, neither will ever be good enough in the eyes of most. Milton was still good and better than many of those who have played QB in the past, but many fans will never get beyond the comparison to Hooker.

Martin overcame the comparison with Manning with the National Championship. Unfortunately for Milton that or making the SEC title game was the only way some would recognize him. Sad but true. Nico, not playing this year, saved himself from that comparison. He should tell Joe, Thank You.

From what he did for the team, Dobbs is still it for me though.
Martin was a below average QB.

It’s not apples to apples. None of those other quarterbacks except for hooker played and Josh Heupel system. To get a true analysis of how good he is… You need to go back and take all the other quarterbacks Heupel had for multiple years, going back to his days as the offensive coordinator at Oklahoma. my guess is that Milton will be one of if not, the worst performing quarterback hyper has ever spent more than a year mentoring.

Milton is really really bad in the biggest moments this year. He was able to perform well against Vandy, SC, etc. in lower profile games. But anytime he’s ever been on the biggest stage he just can’t hit basic 10 yard out routes even when the receiver has a couple of steps on the defender. The George game encapsulates what Milton is as a QB. Over and over again he failed to execute incredibly basic throws. I’d even add to that… He never puts any ARC on the balls. He throws, which resulted in at least three passes bat down by defensive lineman. And a couple of those came on crucial third downs when the receiver was open.

Quarterback is the toughest job because of all the information they have to process. But shuffling around until you know you have a clear, passing lane or recognizing a defender is in between you and your target so you need to put a little loft on the ball type nuance, great quarterbacks manage.
Here's the problem . . .

I'd like to see a comparison between all these QBs and how they played against top 25 teams.

*edit* but this is still neat to look at

Martin was a below average QB.

I realize that but he is the last QB to get us a National Championship. While I can agree with QB as being one of the more important roles on the team - we can have the greatest QB of all time (insert Manning here) and someone like Hendon Hooker and still not win a championship. It takes a team and a lot of luck.

I think many just want someone to blame, when we forget football is a team sport.

VN Store

Back