Joe VS Past TN QBs

Tyler Bray, Hooker twice and Ainge are only ones in 20 yrs with overall better seasons.
Note we’ve won 10 games only 3 times so his potential for a 9-4 season is up there as well.
Thank you Joe for this season and representing UT with great leadership and integrity the past 3 yrs!
Dobbs had 40 combined TDs his Sr year. I believe that's a school record

i would take my chances putting Ainge, Crompton, Bray, Dobbs, and even JG in this offense. You can't just look at straight up numbers. Some of these guys were in terrible offenses under terrible coaches. I hated watching JG but he showed a lot more care for it than Milton cracking jokes on the sideline. I would take a chance on him with Huepel calling the shots

Wow.. Those 3 years Bray had were pretty impressive
That offense was absolutely loaded, and SHOULD have been even more so. Da'Rick Rogers had to go mess it up.

Tyler Bray
Raijon Neal
Mychal Rivera
Justin Hunter
Cordarrelle Patterson
Antonio Richardson
James Stone
Alex Bullard
Dallas Thomas
Jawuan James
Zach Fulton

That offense was nasty. And yet, had a defense was that an atrocity to football. We could score 50, but would give up 51. Had we had a lick of defense, we would have been awesome that year, and Dooley would have likely locked up an extension.

So... thank God for Sal Sunseri.

i would take my chances putting Ainge, Crompton, Bray, Dobbs, and even JG in this offense. You can't just look at straight up numbers. Some of these guys were in terrible offenses under terrible coaches. I hated watching JG but he showed a lot more care for it than Milton cracking jokes on the sideline. I would take a chance on him with Huepel calling the shots
JG was tough. But he too made boneheaded decisions. The time he decided to keep it on the goal line against Bama and fumbled it? Yeah....

And had he just run the play, it was an easy TD.

Dobbs would have been great in this offense.

It amazes me the hate Joe gets and I think it stems from a small group of fans who got it going on social media. I have a guy on my FB who every week complains about how hard Joe throws and I laugh at his stupidity after every post.

There are also the overthrow Joe posts that are unwarranted this season I can remember 3-4 overthrows this year. His primary issue this year was under throws.

This is how Milton compared to past UT QBs since 2004. And he still has another game remaining. As much hate as he got, he really is a great QB (statistically).

Added through 1995 just for fun.
View attachment 598224

If ranking QB’s of the 2000’s, it goes like this:

1- Hendon
2- Casey Ice Man Clausen
3a/3b - Dobbs/Ainge
4- Milton
5- Bray
6- JG

Honorable Mention - Worley / Rick Clausen

Tyler Bray, Hooker twice and Ainge are only ones in 20 yrs with overall better seasons.
Note we’ve won 10 games only 3 times so his potential for a 9-4 season is up there as well.
Thank you Joe for this season and representing UT with great leadership and integrity the past 3 yrs!
Dobbs Sr season is the best by a QB not named Hendon since 2005. Look at the total yards and rating.

If ranking QB’s of the 2000’s, it goes like this:

1- Hendon
2- Casey Ice Man Clausen
3a/3b - Dobbs/Ainge
4- Milton
5- Bray
6- JG

Honorable Mention - Worley / Rick Clausen
I’d flip Dobbs and Clausen. Dobbs is #2 for me. He improved every year while Casey peaked as a sophomore and Dobbs numbers his senior year are unmatched by anyone bar Hooker- an even more impressive achievement when he did it without a QB coach and an offensive coordinator who spent the previous 7 years cleaning pools on Michigan.

Joe had a good year. Y'all better be glad he stayed, Nico was not ready.
I’m glad he stayed. He’s about the qb I thought he was…which is reflective of our record. That being said the thing is if he had the 4-6th best year on the grid, he was probably at the top part of the bottom half of QBs in sec this year. SEC offenses have changed.

Where's the stat on situational awareness?😮
And that’s the biggest issue with Joe (and JG). Far too many times Joe held onto ball trying to throw deep (or threw deep to a covered receiver) when he could have gotten yards with his feet or hit an underneath receiver. It’s like he wants to win the game on every play vs just winning the play. If you can scramble for 5 yards on first down that’s a win every time.

Edit: But Joe did improve over the season both in his throws and his decision making. I think we have good coaching.

I’d flip Dobbs and Clausen. Dobbs is #2 for me. He improved every year while Casey peaked as a sophomore and Dobbs numbers his senior year are unmatched by anyone bar Hooker- an even more impressive achievement when he did it without a QB coach and an offensive coordinator who spent the previous 7 years cleaning pools on Michigan.

Hard for me to put anyone besides Hooker over Casey because Hooker is the only QB who won at a level like Casey... Or to put it better, Clausen and Hooker had success that the others didn't...

Dobbs as a starter never QB'd a team better than 8-4.....

Casey also had wins in Florida / Bama that really makes that 14-1 record on the road stand out.

It amazes me the hate Joe gets and I think it stems from a small group of fans who got it going on social media. I have a guy on my FB who every week complains about how hard Joe throws and I laugh at his stupidity after every post.

There are also the overthrow Joe posts that are unwarranted this season I can remember 3-4 overthrows this year. His primary issue this year was under throws.
Your friend isn’t wrong. He’s completely average

Statistically he does well in a comparison, no argument.

However, I also submit that Heupel's offensive-minded approach contributes to that stat line. He's had offenses ranked in the top 10 for scoring in the previous 5 years, and that's not by accident. Heupel's offense approach is light years ahead of anything we saw from Dooley, or Butch, or the Bammer.

If you took guys like Ainge or Dobbs or hell, even Bray or Crompton, and put them in Heupel's turbo-charged offensive scheme, they'd all have fat stats and huge numbers. I can only dream of what Josh Dobbs would have done in Heupel's system.
I know people will think this is crazy, but I'd take even Worley over Milton in this offense.

Had there been no HH the past 2 seasons, JM would have looked like a world beater. JM followed the should’ve been Heisman winner so we were spoiled!
Why do we have to put JM where he isn't...on both ends of the spectrum? JM did fine, and I'm thankful he was a Vol on the field and off...but I think we would be gassed out on him if this were his third year at the helm. You also wonder if we'd have gotten Nico if Hooker didn't put JH's offense on national display. Got to give JH credit for recognizing what JM would give us, and pivoted strongly towards the running game and didn't put it all on him like he did w/ Hooker.

If we put Joe on a team like Miz this year, we're probably looking at more W's. We don't have the 2 deep depth yet on both sides of the field to offset the lack of a top tier QB.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back