Jennings

Jennings isn't a safety or wide receiver. He is a quarterback. Throwing a couple of worm burners in the spring game doesn't mean you are garbage. If he makes a couple of tweaks and continues to develop, he'll be a handful to deal with. QD looked good, but all that really means is that he is ahead of Jennings for the time being. If things start to click for Jennings, he has the physical tools to run away with the job.
Exactly, and considering his work ethic people shouldn't count someone out after 15 practices or because another QB is coming. He doesn't have to be Peyton in this system he just has to develop and be consistent. Auburn played for a NC two years ago that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn because of his athleticism and the spread. The kid can can run.

There is a juco QB out at Coffeyville CC in Kansas we are supposedly looking at. Last name Ferguson. Kid has a rifle for an arm. My bet is for him to come in and be starter day 1. JMO.

Reactions: 1 person
Not a knock on Jennings as a QB, but I don't see him beating out Dormady, Jones, and Guarantano. That is a gauntlet. I bet he's playing another position in the 2016 O&W game because an athlete like him shouldn't be a 3rd or 4th stringer.

Dobbs throwing the ball as imperfect as it may be is still way ahead of Jennings (even when Dobbs was a true freshman).

I'm just now watching the replay so Ill see what youre saying soon I hope. Just thought it was funny how we talked about how bad Dobbs was.

I'd like to see a package for him this year. 3-5 snaps as wildcat QB. It would save some hits on Dobbs and the rbs. Guy looks explosive

He is definitely very athletic. Actually freakishly athletic. He really needs to be at a position where they could fully take advantage of it. Right now he is not a good passer. But he is very quick and runs very effortlessly.

Let him redshirt. Dobbs will be back for his senior year in all liklihood, so Jennings will be able to take another year to develop. I think he will be able to compete for the starting job in his third year. I'm not saying he will win, but he will compete. He has the physical ability and the work ethic. With that being said, Dormady looked great today.

Don't see him getting that long to prove he is a QB. With Dormady, Jones and now JG I don't see him at QB after this yr.jmo

Reactions: 2 people
I'd like to see a package for him this year. 3-5 snaps as wildcat QB. It would save some hits on Dobbs and the rbs. Guy looks explosive

All those packages ever seem to accomplish is spending time on them in practice, and not much results on gameday.

Not a knock on Jennings as a QB, but I don't see him beating out Dormady, Jones, and Guarantano. That is a gauntlet. I bet he's playing another position in the 2016 O&W game because an athlete like him shouldn't be a 3rd or 4th stringer.

Jennings is very competitive. And that was his first real game speed test in Neyland.

Playing QB is not just about throwing. Jennings has what it takes between the ears.

He's a true freshman also.

Thats fine. He can sit behind JD, QD, SJ, and JG (next year) and who ever else comes along at QB in the next 4 years. OR...he could listen to everyone who is projecting him to be an SEC and ultimately NFL caliber safety. Either way, glad to have him in orange.

I'm rooting for the guy to improve, I know a lot of us are. He's got a lot of heart

Exactly, and considering his work ethic people shouldn't count someone out after 15 practices or because another QB is coming. He doesn't have to be Peyton in this system he just has to develop and be consistent. Auburn played for a NC two years ago that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn because of his athleticism and the spread. The kid can can run.

The joke goes, when hiking in Alaska you do not have to be able to outrun a grizzly bear. You only have to be able to outrun your fellow hikers as they try to outrun the grizzly bear.

Kind of the same for Jennings. Okay, he doesn't have to be Peyton in this system. But he has to be a better QB than all his competition if he wants to start. And at this point, he's not winning that race. Which is why I think we'll see him redshirt a year for some intense developmental work, then compete again next spring. If his chances at QB look slim then as well, THEN it'll be time for him to consider other options.

For now he's good with a redshirt, barring significant changes in fall camp.

He needs to be a receiver. He would probably get immediate playing time and would help relieve the pressure of loosing Von. JMHO.

OK, guess he needs to switch positions. Shocking these dumb coaches haven't figured it out yet.

I'm rooting for the guy to improve, I know a lot of us are. He's got a lot of heart

As am I. I have heard nothing but great things from some guys in the recruiting forum, who know him and his family personally. He is very athletic, which I was lucky to see in person for the first time at the O & W game. But I cannot help but think it may be in his best interests in college and in the long term, and for UT football, to switch once JG comes in and gets settled.

It would call for burning his redshirt, but I have been thinking the same thing. I would bring him in, off and on, throughout the game, in short yardage situations, and on the goal line.

This way he can focus on just a dozen or so plays, but have it down to a science. I think it would not only help keep Dobb's healthy, but alleviate some of the pounding he would take during an entire season.

As good of a runner as Dobbs is, I think Jennings is even better. I saw him make one play on his Highlight reel, that would make Houdini blush. The guy is a homerun waiting to happen, every time he pulls the ball to run.

His passing game is going to need dramatic improvement, though. He's better than what we saw in this O/W game. Probably let nerves affect his performance.

As am I. I have heard nothing but great things from some guys in the recruiting forum, who know him and his family personally. He is very athletic, which I was lucky to see in person for the first time at the O & W game. But I cannot help but think it may be in his best interests in college and in the long term, and for UT football, to switch once JG comes in and gets settled.
I don't know about that. JG will probably redshirt, and Jennings will probably improve dramatically as a passer by then. IMHO, he's the closest thing to Dobbs we will have on the roster, this fall. Not saying he'd beat out Dormady, but that he may be needed, if injury forced Dormady to play. They might mix Jennings in on obvious running downs and short yardage...rather than let Dormady get exposed to hits, running the ball.

OK, guess he needs to switch positions. Shocking these dumb coaches haven't figured it out yet.

These "dumb" coaches made a promise during his recruitment and are admirably seeing it thru. I bet these "dumb" coaches would be elated beyond belief if JJ came to them and requested a position change!

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back