Jarrett Guarantano Critical Analysis

That pass not being completed was like when Kamara ran out if bounds short I the 1st down against Vandy.

That's not the only reason why we lost, it was one of the reasons.

Same goes for Brandon. I wonder if greazy asked him, What happened? We have had our fair share of dropped passes and poorly thrown balls. I'm sure Brandon would like a shot at redemption. That could be a motivation to the players that stay.

If they are as great this year as they were bad last year, all us Vol fans are in for a good time.

I like our chances.

I asked him after the game he said it was a bang bang play, but in his mind he feels he should of had it because he just don't like to drop ball..He takes pride in his catches..

Reactions: 2 people
Exactly! My point was from the begining the play would have work if he throws the ball when he breaks the route..The play was doomed before it started

It would have “worked” if he CAUGHT THE FREAKING BALL. :)

Reactions: 4 people
Exactly! My point was from the begining the play would have work if he throws the ball when he breaks the route..The play was doomed before it started

No....Brandon was narrowly open, perfectly thrown ball went through his hands, game over. You can keep saying otherwise til you’re blue in the face, but if Brandon catches that perfectly thrown ball, like, when he caught that perfectly thrown deep in route earlier in the drive which resulted in a big, 39 yard gain, nothing else would’ve mattered....Tennessee would’ve won the game. But he didn’t, and we lost. The loss wasnt “on” Brandon, he played well overall that game, and we played poorly all game long as a team, no surprise since Lyle was on the sideline. But if he catches a catchable ball in the end zone, we win. Period.

Reactions: 3 people
I asked him after the game he said it was a bang bang play, but in his mind he feels he should of had it because he just don't like to drop ball..He takes pride in his catches..

I think he’s a surehanded young wr who runs crisp routes and who’s gonna be a reliable productive receiver his next 3 years here. He’s clearly one of our 3 best WRs at this point, I’ve said that over and over again, it’s obvious. I’m looking forward to seeing him play this year.....and catch a lot of balls from Guarantano 😀😁😉

Reactions: 3 people
I think he’s a surehanded young wr who runs crisp routes and who’s gonna be a reliable productive receiver his next 3 years here. He’s clearly one of our 3 best WRs at this point, I’ve said that over and over again, it’s obvious. I’m looking forward to seeing him play this year.....and catch a lot of balls from Guarantano 😀😁😉

He has two years of eligibility remaining.

Well lets see, terrible coaching, putrid OL, WRs who couldnt win matchups against HS DBs, crappy play calling, terrible defenses. JG had John Kelly and thats about it. Dude has talent. The supporting team around him sucks.

He sure held onto the ball when he had wide open guys. If he has talent then use the one involving eye sight and throw an out route before we are 2 steps from the sideline.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
He sure held onto the ball when he wide open guys. If he has talent then use the one involving eye sight and throw an out route before we are 2 steps from the sideline.

Unless you were watching from an “all 22” perspective, you don’t know that he was holding the ball even though he had guys open. Plenty have said the reason he held the ball too long was because his WRs and TEs couldn’t get separation, which seems much more likely.

Reactions: 1 person
Unless you were watching from an “all 22” perspective, you don’t know that he was holding the ball even though he had guys open. Plenty have said the reason he held the ball too long was because his WRs and TEs couldn’t get separation, which seems much more likely.

Watch candy game bro. We were wao. We had to toe tap before we caught the dam ball. I know football and I know when you throw an out route.

I agree. These people expecting 3-4 wins this year, I just don’t get it. There are holes in the roster, no doubt....in some places the holes are gaping (OL). But there is enough talent that with the right, quality coaching and a significant, positive change in culture and attitude, this team could definitely win 6, 7, dare I say 8 games (8 is probably pushing it a bit imo) 😁

Haha, Brother I couldn't have said it any better..I agree 8 could be tricky but it's not impossible with some luck and being on the good side of the break's. If you go purely off recruiting classes, next year's schedule has Ala,GA and Auburn who are above us in average recruiting classes the last 6 yrs. We go 3-1 at worst in OOC games and 4-0 is very possible. Ala,AU and GA are 3 pretty much guaranteed losses. So that's either 4-3 or 3-4. Fla is in the same boat as us and it's at home. I'm going with a Win in Pruitt's first important SEC and Rivalry game. SCe can go either way but right now I'm going with an L because it's on the road. Think UK,Vandy and Mizzou are all wins. So I'm going 4-4 in the SEC. 8 wins definitely isn't impossible. Think the UF and W.Va are the 2 swing games that determine if we go 6-6,7-5 or 8-4. Can even put SCe in that category too. A lot will be determined by health and QB play. I believe 6 is the floor and 8 is the ceiling plus the bowl game. A big factor will also be how many players buy in to the culture change and aren't run off because of the new level of work and intensity they will be put through. We will be a much more physical team, much better coached and disciplined, so we will see exactly what level of talent we really have.

Watch candy game bro. We were wao. We had to toe tap before we caught the dam ball. I know football and I know when you throw an out route.

I would add, that due to the receivers often not running the correct routes or blocking when they should be running routes would make a qb hold till they break so he doesn't throw for an out when they run an sluggo. There were too many blown plays because of bad or incorrect route running, which was one of the causes of dormady's high interception numbers.

I agree with every word you said. Why people can't see this baffles me. I think JG did a great job with what little he had to work with. Last year was the worst offensive line play in UT history.

Not baffling at all. The people who can see it actually played football at some point in their life. Those who can't lettered in band and got their playing experience on X-Box.

I would add, that due to the receivers often not running the correct routes or blocking when they should be running routes would make a qb hold till they break so he doesn't throw for an out when they run an sluggo. There were too many blown plays because of bad or incorrect route running, which was one of the causes of dormady's high interception numbers.

I would add, remember the time we ran a flea flicker vs Alabama when all of our infallible WRs who evidently did nothing but run free and wide open all last year, actually stayed in to block and didn’t run a single route. Oddly enough, Guarantano was sacked iirc. Damnit, that JG, all he ever did was hold the ball....what’s wrong with him??

I would add, remember the time we ran a flea flicker vs Alabama when all of our infallible WRs who evidently did nothing but run free and wide open all last year, actually stayed in to block and didn’t run a single route. Oddly enough, Guarantano was sacked iirc. Damnit, that JG, all he ever did was hold the ball....what’s wrong with him??
That play came to mind while typing out my comment, couldn't imagine the frustration, yet JG stayed in there taking hit after hit trying to help his team, such an immature pouter. There is no way he would lay his body on the line just to try to get a hail Mary spark going... oh wait, nevermind.

I agree with that as well.

This thread does a good job of identifying the individual problems that lead to the worst season in history. I personally don't think the talent-related problems can be solved in one offseason. I think we could see positive signs for the team without a significant change in the won/loss record. Also, the offensive line- whichever QB plays will need one in front of him.

This thread does a good job of identifying the individual problems that lead to the worst season in history. I personally don't think the talent-related problems can be solved in one offseason. I think we could see positive signs for the team without a significant change in the won/loss record. Also, the offensive line- whichever QB plays will need one in front of him.

I think Coaching was a bigger issue than talent. Coaching and Depth definitely though. Currently 36 of our players on campus were a *4 or *5 on atleast 1 service and we have Chryst to make it 37 plus 8 more who haven't enrolled yet that were *4 on atleast one service. So that's 45 *4 or *5 recruits. That's over 60%+ that were. We don't have what Ala and Ga has but based off recruiting ratings we have some talent, we just don't have enough depth or enough who are proven.

VN Store

Back