Jarrett Guarantano Critical Analysis

That view don't do not justice because you cant even see the other defender hand from the view. Give me the game day view. The same view we all saw on tv

Yes he was well covered....yes the ball was thrown perfectly by JG....yes he should’ve caught it.

Reactions: 3 people
Why everybody upset with me with my honest assessment? What Qb on this roster u can say is worthy of starting this season? Come on man lets be foreal JG hasn't shown enough to say he gonna be a bonified starter.

Even though some things you say are true, you still annoy the crap out of me. I guess it's how you come off sometimes? You seem to act as though your nephew is the best receiver in the SEC while putting most other players under the bus. CBJ was responsible for most of the disaster last year, not individual players. JMO

JG has a looooong way to go. Heck even Crompdaddy, R. Clausen & Ainge were more collected in the pocket than him and they had far less scrambling ability. Plus Im sure everyone remembers him during GaTech-he looked and acted like an entitled brat. If he gets beat out next year it wont be for lack of talent, it will be for issues between the shoulders particularly how he handles pressure. Personally cant wait to see who Pruitt recruits in 19. Something tells me well get a guy who is hungry and ready to work; not some guy who expects the position to be handed to him even after showing subpar pocket skills and terrible decision making.

Pretty sure if he acts like a little ***** CJP will run his dead ass off.

With this much "knowledge" UT should have the best coaching staff in the country! Not sure why the coaching search took so long!:ermm:

Yep. Fulmer should have just consulted VN when making the coaching hire. And Pruitt just needs to ask VN who the starters should be on both sides of the ball. Because obviously all of the keyboard coaches know vastly more than those who actually coach for a living.

Yep. Fulmer should have just consulted VN when making the coaching hire. And Pruitt just needs to ask VN who the starters should be on both sides of the ball. Because obviously all of the keyboard coaches know vastly more than those who actually coach for a living.

There is more truth in this post than you can possibly imagine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Hey guess what, that South Carolina loss is more on your nephew Brandon than JG, quit acting like jg is the only guy that lost on the roster, and last time i checked chryst had the benefit of one of the best Pac 12 teams yet he still got beat out in that pro style offense you have no clue about that you are touting.

That loss was not on Brandon Johnson. Being inside the redzone 4 times and kicking 3 FG's or our leading rusher ( JK) had 68 total rushing yards. Johnson led the team in receiving yards that game. It was definitely a team effort but I've seen everyone on here blame BJ and it wasn't even the most catchable pass. I blame the playcalling more than anything. We didn't do anything aggressive or to try and test the D outside of that last drive. We were as vanilla in the playcalling as I've ever seen. All the blame I have seen towards Brandon is unwarranted and inaccurate. That was purely on the Coach's and horrid playcalling. 250 total yards of offense, 0-4 in scoring TD's in the redzone and no TD's in the game isn't going to beat many SEC teams.

As far as Chryst, that Stanford team was decent but far from one of the best pac 12 teams. Chryst was 5-2 and Costello was 4-3 as starters last yr. Chryst was coming off a horrible knee injury where he had 8 months of little to no football activity and struggled with consistency because of it. Stanford likes their QB to run at times and Costello fit what they wanted to do better. The prior year Chryst showed what he could do when he was healthy and trusted his knee. Stanford offensively was centered around Bryce Love and probably too much. Stanford also was pretty bad defensively last yr as well. I've been a JG supporter and always will be. Only time will tell what kind of QB he can be and how he fits into a Pro Style offense. If I had to bet, I would put my money on Chryst being our starting QB vs W.Va. But I really hope JG takes to the real coaching they all will be getting and lives up to the hype he had coming out of HS. The other thing to consider is does JG wanna play in this type offense? The rumors of a transfer to Rutger's has been out there Since the announcement of what offense we will run, so who knows what our roster looks like come June. I hope JG sticks it out and those were just internet rumors, but could see McBride being the one leaving for a better offensive fit.

Reactions: 2 people
That loss was not on Brandon Johnson. Being inside the redzone 4 times and kicking 3 FG's or our leading rusher ( JK) had 68 total rushing yards. Johnson led the team in receiving yards that game. It was definitely a team effort but I've seen everyone on here blame BJ and it wasn't even the most catchable pass. I blame the playcalling more than anything. We didn't do anything aggressive or to try and test the D outside of that last drive. We were as vanilla in the playcalling as I've ever seen. All the blame I have seen towards Brandon is unwarranted and inaccurate. That was purely on the Coach's and horrid playcalling. 250 total yards of offense, 0-4 in scoring TD's in the redzone and no TD's in the game isn't going to beat many SEC teams.

As far as Chryst, that Stanford team was decent but far from one of the best pac 12 teams. Chryst was 5-2 and Costello was 4-3 as starters last yr. Chryst was coming off a horrible knee injury where he had 8 months of little to no football activity and struggled with consistency because of it. Stanford likes their QB to run at times and Costello fit what they wanted to do better. The prior year Chryst showed what he could do when he was healthy and trusted his knee. Stanford offensively was centered around Bryce Love and probably too much. Stanford also was pretty bad defensively last yr as well. I've been a JG supporter and always will be. Only time will tell what kind of QB he can be and how he fits into a Pro Style offense. If I had to bet, I would put my money on Chryst being our starting QB vs W.Va. But I really hope JG takes to the real coaching they all will be getting and lives up to the hype he had coming out of HS. The other thing to consider is does JG wanna play in this type offense? The rumors of a transfer to Rutger's has been out there Since the announcement of what offense we will run, so who knows what our roster looks like come June. I hope JG sticks it out and those were just internet rumors, but could see McBride being the one leaving for a better offensive fit.

It “wasn’t the most catchable pass”?? Lol. It hit him right in the hands...he got both hands on it, he didnt have to even reach for it, it went through his hands....it was perfectly thrown. The ONLY thing that made it difficult with the good coverage by SCar’s DB but even then the ball was thrown where only Brandon could catch it, the DB was behind Brandon. He HAS to catch that ball.

Go back a couple of pages to BloomuVol’s post where he shows a series of sequential pictures of the play.....perfectly thrown, hit Johnson in both hands, then goes through his hands because he dropped it.

The rest of your post....agree with pretty much all of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

1000% fact in these words. Just like I see so many questioning who he's bring in as grad transfers. I can't tell you how many times I've seen posters say JP shouldn't bring in Chryst or the RB from Mich St because they won't play. I highly doubt he's bringing them in and wasting 2 scholarships so they can run scout teams. Obviously there's no guarantee either start we are seeing what type QB and RB they will be recruiting. Just like questioning the RB grad transfer because they already know Ty is our starting RB. That's definitely not guaranteed and would lean towards him not starting at RB. Throw in the reports about JP having doubts about how he fits in with our offense and it further shows why they are bringing in London. Not sure at this point he's the RB who can run it 23-25 times and have the D worn down by the 4th quarter. He would be great when paired with London or Banks and benefit from the bigger Backs wearing down Defense's.

It “wasn’t the most catchable pass”?? Lol. It hit him right in the hands...he got both hands on it, he didnt have to even reach for it, it went through his hands....it was perfectly thrown. The ONLY thing that made it difficult with the good coverage by SCar’s DB but even then the ball was thrown where only Brandon could catch it, the DB was behind Brandon. He HAS to catch that ball.

Go back a couple of pages to BloomuVol’s post where he shows a series of sequential pictures of the play.....perfectly thrown, hit Johnson in both hands, then goes through his hands because he dropped it.

The rest of your post....agree with pretty much all of it.

My point on it not being the most catchable was more him having to worry about staying in bounds in the endzone and focusing on trying to catch the ball. I should have reworded it. It wasn't the easiest catch because of the DB being draped all over him and having to worry about being in bounds. But Johnson also made a great catch that even got them down in position for that to have even been possible. I will say this about all of our receiver's in Butch's offense. It had to be hard to stay sharp and mentally focused when one game MC or BJ are getting 8-10 chances then go 2 games when they may be targeted 2-3 times at the most. Callaway would have a great game then he'd go games where he barely had the ball thrown to him. It would have to be hard to be zoned in game to game knowing that.

Edit: I did just look at the pics of the play and from that it looked like the DB could have disrupted the play by hitting Brandon's right arm and getting his hands on the ball. I'd have to re-watch the video though. But regardless that play wasn't why we lost. That was just a purely horrible coached and called game.

Last edited:
My point on it not being the most catchable was more him having to worry about staying in bounds in the endzone and focusing on trying to catch the ball. I should have reworded it. It wasn't the easiest catch because of the DB being draped all over him and having to worry about being in bounds. But Johnson also made a great catch that even got them down in position for that to have even been possible. I will say this about all of our receiver's in Butch's offense. It had to be hard to stay sharp and mentally focused when one game MC or BJ are getting 8-10 chances then go 2 games when they may be targeted 2-3 times at the most. Callaway would have a great game then he'd go games where he barely had the ball thrown to him. It would have to be hard to be zoned in game to game knowing that.

Edit: I did just look at the pics of the play and from that it looked like the DB could have disrupted the play by hitting Brandon's right arm and getting his hands on the ball. I'd have to re-watch the video though. But regardless that play wasn't why we lost. That was just a purely horrible coached and called game.

No doubt it was a horribly coached game....but then, which one wasn’t when Jones was here? It’s a short list.

As far as Johnson, he had some other big catches on that drive....just like JG had some big throws on that drive....had to have both, which we did, until the last play.

Brandon was 2-3 yards inside the sideline when you look at the play....after he dropped the ball, he fell down and his entire body was still inside the end zone. The biggest problem with the play was the lack of separation Brandon had and I think it’s because he and Marquez didn’t execute the rub route correctly....Marquez should’ve crossed Brandon’s face, but Brandon didn’t allow the play to develop and Marquez never “rubbed” the DB off of Brandon or made the DBs switch.

But make no mistake, there was plenty of room for Brandon to easily get both feet down had he caught the perfectly thrown ball that went right through his hands. And if he had caught the ball, we’d have won the game.

Last edited:

My point was never to put all the blame on anyone, that is exactly what I was trying to get through to Brandon's uncle, the TEAM failed not just JG, he was making the statement that no coach would start jg over chryst because chryst has a better starting record. My entire point was that the losses were by the team not just the qb, just like how chryst record is because of the team around him, not just him. That has been my whole point, that poster acts like Brandon Johnson is the best overall player on the team and everyone else is half add scrubs. The sc loss while yes the rest of the game was important, the fact still remains, he catches a pass that hit both hands Tennessee wins one more game, he doesn't and greazy acts like jg failed the team the whole game.

That pass not being completed was like when Kamara ran out if bounds short I the 1st down against Vandy.

That's not the only reason why we lost, it was one of the reasons.

Same goes for Brandon. I wonder if greazy asked him, What happened? We have had our fair share of dropped passes and poorly thrown balls. I'm sure Brandon would like a shot at redemption. That could be a motivation to the players that stay.

If they are as great this year as they were bad last year, all us Vol fans are in for a good time.

I like our chances.

No doubt it was a horribly coached game....but then, which one wasn’t when Jones was here? It’s a short list.

As far as Johnson, he had some other big catches on that drive....just like JG had some big throws on that drive....had to have both, which we did, until the last play.

Brandon was 2-3 yards inside the sideline when you look at the play....after he dropped the ball, he fell down and his entire body was still inside the end zone. The biggest problem with the play was the lack of separation Brandon had and I think it’s because he and Marquez didn’t execute the rub route correctly....Marquez should’ve crossed Brandon’s face, but Brandon didn’t allow the play to develop and Marquez never “rubbed” the DB off of Brandon or made the DBs switch.

But make no mistake, there was plenty of room for Brandon to easily get both feet down had he caught the perfectly thrown ball that went right through his hands. And if he had caught the ball, we’d have won the game.

You're absolutely right, he definitely should have caught it but it was typical of how last year went. As bad as we played we were still 3 plays from being 7-5 and making it to a bowl. Then we would prefer still have Butch. That's why I don't buy into us being a 3-4 win team this season.We were so close to winning 7 with that trainwreck last year. I think we win 7 this year and possibly 8 with a bowl game. Think we see the difference that good coaching can make for this team.

My point was never to put all the blame on anyone, that is exactly what I was trying to get through to Brandon's uncle, the TEAM failed not just JG, he was making the statement that no coach would start jg over chryst because chryst has a better starting record. My entire point was that the losses were by the team not just the qb, just like how chryst record is because of the team around him, not just him. That has been my whole point, that poster acts like Brandon Johnson is the best overall player on the team and everyone else is half add scrubs. The sc loss while yes the rest of the game was important, the fact still remains, he catches a pass that hit both hands Tennessee wins one more game, he doesn't and greazy acts like jg failed the team the whole game.

I agree with you. That definitely should have been caught but the way last year went we weren't meant to win those type games. If Chryst starts over JG it's because of his knowledge of the offense and he won the trust of the Coach's over JG. I think Brandon could be a great receiver, it definitely run in the family with his being related to Ocho Cinco. They will have better coaching and much less blocking they will have to do. I look forward to seeing the difference that real coaching makes for every player. That was by far one of the more Vanilla play calling we saw all yr.

I want the best player playing at every position I don't care what they look like or what their name is if he is the best then put him in there coach. Anyone wanting to leave or leaving because someone is better goodbye this is about playing winning football not a popularity contest.

You're absolutely right, he definitely should have caught it but it was typical of how last year went. As bad as we played we were still 3 plays from being 7-5 and making it to a bowl. Then we would prefer still have Butch. That's why I don't buy into us being a 3-4 win team this season.We were so close to winning 7 with that trainwreck last year. I think we win 7 this year and possibly 8 with a bowl game. Think we see the difference that good coaching can make for this team.

I agree. These people expecting 3-4 wins this year, I just don’t get it. There are holes in the roster, no doubt....in some places the holes are gaping (OL). But there is enough talent that with the right, quality coaching and a significant, positive change in culture and attitude, this team could definitely win 6, 7, dare I say 8 games (8 is probably pushing it a bit imo) 😁

Exactly! My point was from the begining the play would have work if he throws the ball when he breaks the route..The play was doomed before it started

VN Store

Back