Jarrett Guarantano Critical Analysis

There were plenty of other plays that didn't involve either of them that didn't help the cause.

It's nice to have options at QB. One of them needs to step up early and lead the team.

Yes, and I support whoever wins the job, but the poster I was quoting is acting like no coach with a brain would start jg over chryst, simply due to their win loss record as a starter, as if the team around them didn't have anything to do with that record.

Why would any coach on his 1st year go with a guy that only won 1 game in his college career. Now u have a experience qb coming in that knows a pro style offense. JG never played in a pro style offense in his life. So if I was the coach going in on my first season I'm going with the vet

Would’ve had 2 wins as a starter if your nephew hadn’t dropped that perfectly thrown JG pass vs SCar. We should probably bring in a few grad transfer WRs to play ahead of him, no?

In all seriousness, if you can’t see that a prostyle offense fits JG much better than that rinky dink middle school soft as marshmallows crap offense Jones had him running last year then I’m not sure what to tel you. JG ain’t a spread offense/read option guy, that’s for sure, based on what we saw last year. Kid wants to and certainly has the arm talent to play from the pocket. He should only run when the protection breaks down to get 5-6 yards....he has no business trying to keep the ball 10-12 like Dobbs once did. He’s a pass first, second and third guy who should thrive in a prostyle offense imo.

Finally, I suspect that JP and Helton aren’t gonna default automatically to the older guy and let the fact that he’s played in a prostyle offense before be the determining factor. And I doubt they’ll hold much of anything that happened last year against JG.

No, I imagine they’ll make their own evaluations of the QBs and they’ll make their decision based off who can pick up the offense, who executes the offense the best and who the rest of the offensive players and team respond to better than the other QBs. In short, who gives them the best chance to win.

Reactions: 2 people
Maybe if you aren't looking? 62% with two ints as a freshman in the sec with the stone hands receivers he was throwing to, is a damn near miracle. Hard to through to the receivers when they all decide to block on a pass play, right? I'm not putting all the blame on others, everybody has plenty of failures from last year to account for. But i would think you you would prefer jg considering your nephew got his best production when jg was throwing him the ball, when Brandon didn't let the ball slide right through his hands ending a potential game-winning drive that is.

That's all people have to go on is one dropped ball that JG threw to late. If it threw it on time that would have been a td but he held on to the ball to long gave the corner time to react to the play. Supposed to be a pick play but was ran properly. Callaway didn't know where to line up at the play was a disaster before it happened.

Reactions: 1 person
I’m seeing a lot of people give up on him early. He hasn’t received any coaching since he’s been in college. He still has more arm talent than most of the QBs out there

Yes, and I support whoever wins the job, but the poster I was quoting is acting like no coach with a brain would start jg over chryst, simply due to their win loss record as a starter, as if the team around them didn't have anything to do with that record.

JG has all spring and summer to show CJP why.

The question is how many of the wins and losses was their play a critical factor in the out come. Were they the difference or just another cog in the wins or losses.

JG was a product of the game plan. Can he be a better product of a better game plan? I expect yes.

CBJ bragged that everybody knew what was coming on the last play against SC. I want a game plan that we know what's coming but keeps the opposition guessing wrong.

Why would any coach on his 1st year go with a guy that only won 1 game in his college career. Now u have a experience qb coming in that knows a pro style offense. JG never played in a pro style offense in his life. So if I was the coach going in on my first season I'm going with the vet

You go with the one with the most talent that fits your offense after watching them in practice.
You also need to look at how the returning players see JG and how they react to KC coming in.
Leave it to the experts/coaches.

That's all people have to go on is one dropped ball that JG threw to late. If it threw it on time that would have been a td but he held on to the ball to long gave the corner time to react to the play. Supposed to be a pick play but was ran properly. Callaway didn't know where to line up at the play was a disaster before it happened.
Quit acting like that ball didn't hit him in both hands. The defender didn't even come within a foot from touching the ball, but yeah it was all of just like the other losses right?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180316-110200.jpg
    Screenshot_20180316-110200.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
After reading this thread and all the Hate JG is getting from "fans" I wouldn't blame him one bit for leaving if he does. Facts are, he had better stats than Dobbs did his first season on a worse team. How many people were on here moaning and crying during the first half og the GT game for him to get his shot and were disappointed when he never did? There are times I wonder if we have the most wishy-washy fan-base in CFB.

Reactions: 4 people
Quit acting like that ball didn't hit him in both hands. The defender didn't even come within a foot from touching the ball, but yeah it was all of just like the other losses right?

That view don't do not justice because you cant even see the other defender hand from the view. Give me the game day view. The same view we all saw on tv

JG just isn't a leader the player's don't take to him and he alway's has a look on his face like he is lost.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but are you in the locker room? Have you talked to the players?

I'm hoping CJP, Helton, or even Weinke can get into his head and build some confidence. A bad year with that mess he was playing with and playing for should not be held against him. Fresh starts often have a way of working out for the best!

Personally I agree with the "give a man a chance", "clean slate" lines of thought. Some will respond well to a change in coaching. Some won't. The ones that do may excel. Many of the others will move on to find their greener pastures. Either way, by mid fall we should know.

Personally I agree with the "give a man a chance", "clean slate" lines of thought. Some will respond well to a change in coaching. Some won't. The ones that do may excel. Many of the others will move on to find their greener pastures. Either way, by mid fall we should know.

Extenuating and mitigating circumstances and all that.
I suspect that Dobbs and DeBoard held that team together. At least by keeping the defense off the field for time to breathe. I now wonder if Butch WASN'T controlling the offense all that time. Look what happened when his buddy left and Scott took over.

"You cant win in this league without a quarterback", UT coach Jeremy Pruitt has said. "I've been as brutally honest as I can. I don't know what we have at any position".

The part of Guarantano's game that continues to need addressing is his decisiveness in getting the ball out of the pocket. Coaches stress that is a skill quarterbacks must master

Guarantano was sacked 26 times in six starts, with seven each against South Carolina and Kentucky, and 4 more against Vanderbilt.

That said, coach Pruitt says he has arm talent. He has good athletic ability. And I have seen him work hard in this off season and try to do things the right way.

He wants to be the best player he can possibly be, Pruitt added. Whatever he needs to do, he wants to be coachable. I see him in there watching tape a lot.

Here are examples of JG moving the offense with accurate reads and crisp passes in the pocket and rolling out:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lOqbpmqYgU[/youtube]

Guarantano's biggest issue as a freshman appeared to be the rate at which he made decisions in the pocket. He was sacked 26 times in roughly half a season of work.

He struggled to make good throws while under pressure, and while he didn't have a lot of interceptions, the negative yardage plays severely hampered UT's offense.

Against Vandy Guarantano started out 7-8 104 yard passing. But then Vandy dialed up pressure and from then JG was 4-11 for 32 yards with 4 sacks and 1 interception, as we fell in an insurmountable 42 -17 hole.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi8wDcZWcv8[/youtube]

Guarantano sulked through Tennessee's season-opening win over Georgia Tech and then struggled in spot duty against UMass and Georgia, before taking over for good.

But he has a chance this spring to lock down the starting job before Chryst has opportunity to even set foot on campus.

We have to hope Jarrett has grown up since last year and be the type of leader the players can rally behind. And if Chryst wins the job in the fall he has to suck it up and be a good backup QB, be supportive and ready to step in if needed.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7v2x8X7l08[/youtube]
Good post overall but the section on body language is complete BS. The coaches lied to him just like they lied to every player they coached. They talked about how both QBs would play in the opener and JG never got his chance. I would have been pissed off too. But if you’re going to bring up body language why not bring up when he showed his passion? I loved how pissed he was after the SC game. What about when he was trying to rally the offensive line during the LSU game? Or how he took hit after hit after hit against bama and kept getting up and trying to do his best? I can’t wait to see his with a real coach. I think Pruitt and crew will get the best out of JG. They won’t be scared of his confidence.

Reactions: 3 people
Clean slate for JG and everyone. My eyes though tell me the following:
1).He’s not as fast as he was advertised maybe quick takeoff is s better way to phrase it. He doesn’t escape sacks!
2). Holds the ball way to long.
3). Tough but when he doesn’t get his way, he actually pouts!
4). Reading defense is terrible or checking to right run or throw. Remember this is an era of RPO offense and that’s what he supposedly came from in HS.

Just my thoughts!

🤡

Clean slate for JG and everyone. My eyes though tell me the following:
1).He’s not as fast as he was advertised maybe quick takeoff is s better way to phrase it. He doesn’t escape sacks!
2). Holds the ball way to long.
3). Tough but when he doesn’t get his way, he actually pouts!
4). Reading defense is terrible or checking to right run or throw. Remember this is an era of RPO offense and that’s what he supposedly came from in HS.

Just my thoughts!

🤡
Number1, hard to escape immediate pressure
Number 2,yes at times he does hold the ball too long when he should tuck it or THROW it away, most would assume that Tyson Helton will help that.
Number 3, he was lied to, told he would play and didn't any true competitor would be pissed, he also addressed that and by most rational opinions has matured since then.
Number 4, no his high school offense was not an RPO based offense, they run a hybrid pro style with multiple sets and spread concepts, there is a huge difference.

Last edited:
I was frustrated too when he didnt feel pressure or escape. His drops were ridiculously long but his arm strength is something you cant coach. He has good speed! Hes got to develop that instinct to abandon and get what he can or throw it away. He was simply trying to make plays all the time because thats what you do when your team is struggling. Its gonna be different no matter who is qb, but i think some of you are getting down on him for no reason. He should have been developing for 2 years in a system before ever seeing the field.

Number1, hard to escape immediate pressure
Number 2,yes at times he does hold the ball too long when he should tuck it or THROW it away, most would assume that Tyson Helton will help that.
Number 3, he was lied to, told he would play and didn't any true competitor would be pissed, he also addressed that and by most rational opinions has matured since then.
Number 4, no his high school offense was not an too based offense, the run a hybrid pro style with multiple sets and spread concepts, there is a huge difference.

The “lying” thing was as overblown as the “pouting” imo. They were trying to WIN the game. We have no direct knowledge of what was or wasn’t promised, but it was immaterial in the situation. I honestly believe he was a series or two (at most) of being inserted into the game, but after they scored a touchdown the starter wasn’t being replaced.

VN Store

Back