Jannah

that guy announcer never even got the name of the arena right all night long. Thomas? idjit
And did you notice how many times he missed a name? He couldn't even differentiate between Burdick and Carter...guess 'cause they look so much alike:)

and Merry Christmas, gule.

Reactions: 1 person
We have all 4 of our "kids" (33, 29, 22, 15.5 yo's) home for the Holiday for the 1st time in years. Gonna be crowded but festive.....

Any real updates on Tucker. I watch her on the bench and she cheers for her teammates. She doesn't look unhappy from her body language.

Let's get real: Tucker will not contribute this year. She didn't play her senior year of high school, I don't think, she didn't play basketball for two years, she is coming off knee surgery, so I don't think she is very good right now. She's got to get confident in her knee, adjust to a major jump up in competition. She needs a year of hard practice work---this year--before she gets decent playing time, assuming she's as talented as advertised.

And also keep this in mind: Warlick will rag on her constantly about her defense all this year and for the rest of her career, which will likely cause her offensive skills and offensive confidence to gradually erode, as happens to most UT women players.

She is not ready to be thrown into this mess!

Ya with the way mizzou was playing..I'm kinda glad she was held out in the end, but during the game I was screaming at the set wondering why holly doesn't give her minutes..but maybe she just isn't ready yet. It would be nice if holly would kind of give us some kind of update on where tucker stands, instead of the canned remarks like she remains day to day. I won't hold my breathe on that though

I am not really complaining, but it is taking forever to get Tucker on the court and playing. We don't even know yet how good she is or isn't.

it is hard to say what is going on with Tucker,at a guess,she isn't doing enough in practice for CHW to give her playing time or she is in the dog house for something we know nothing about

The last statement we got from CHW is Tucker hasn't shown she is 100% confident on her knee right now and until she starts playing (practice obviously) more confident she doesn't want to put her in game time situations. This was quoted about a month ago. Since then, I haven't seen where CHW has said more.

I took it that Tucker is maybe shying away from being aggressive on the defensive end and with the way the SEC play is, I actually think that CHW is right on this call.

This will be the second year here and she has not played but like five minutes. I don't see her playing much this season. She will be a sophomore next season. If she is not ready by then I don't see any point in keeping her on athletic scholarship. She is out of the rotation this season so don't expect her to play very much this season.

Last edited:
That would not be the right thing to do, imho We knew she was injured in hs and recruited her anyway so throwing her to the curb would be bad business.

Reactions: 4 people
That would not be the right thing to do, imho We knew she was injured in hs and recruited her anyway so throwing her to the curb would be bad business.

I was talking about moving her to a medical scholarship because if she can't play by next season I don't expect she will ever play again. A medical frees up a regular scholarship we can use for a healthy body.

I was talking about moving her to a medical scholarship because if she can't play by next season I don't expect she will ever play again. A medical frees up a regular scholarship we can use for a healthy body.

Thank you for that clarification. I didn't think you would throw her out. I'm not sure we will use all our scholarships in any case. It's difficult to attract quality players as the last and next to last off the bench. If you could sign 15 quality players a couple would probably transfer anyway.

This will be the second year here and she has not played but like five minutes. I don't see her playing much this season. She will be a sophomore next season. If she is not ready by then I don't see any point in keeping her on athletic scholarship. She is out of the rotation this season so don't expect her to play very much this season.

Really, why be so pessimistic with such limited public knowledge about her injury and rehab status?. Also Jannah enrolled at UT in January 2014 after a very trying emotional ordeal so this season is really her first true season as a LV.

Most importantly, she just had microfracture surgery in the Spring. That procedure is intended to help regenerate cartilage in the knee. The surgery has a good success rate but in some people (for example Amare Stoudemire of the New York Knicks) one complication can be extreme knee stiffness. That is usually taken as a sign the athlete has pushed back activity to soon. This problem can be managed through rest and PT but it takes TIME, and unfortunately, fan impatience does not accelerate the timeline.

We can't know exactly what is going on with Jannah but it seems reasonable to assume that her recovery from micro-fracture surgery is taking a longer course. And it may well be that she will not be ready to play major minutes this season. Barring another injury setback, however, there is no reason to assume that not playing this season means her LV career is over. She is a redshirt freshman so I think we should be optimistically looking forward to three great seasons from her.

Really, why be so pessimistic with such limited public knowledge about her injury and rehab status?. Also Jannah enrolled at UT in January 2014 after a very trying emotional ordeal so this season is really her first true season as a LV.

Most importantly, she just had microfracture surgery in the Spring. That procedure is intended to help regenerate cartilage in the knee. The surgery has a good success rate but in some people (for example Amare Stoudemire of the New York Knicks) one complication can be extreme knee stiffness. That is usually taken as a sign the athlete has pushed back activity to soon. This problem can be managed through rest and PT but it takes TIME, and unfortunately, fan impatience does not accelerate the timeline.

We can't know exactly what is going on with Jannah but it seems reasonable to assume that her recovery from micro-fracture surgery is taking a longer course. And it may well be that she will not be ready to play major minutes this season. Barring another injury setback, however, there is no reason to assume that not playing this season means her LV career is over. She is a redshirt freshman so I think we should be optimistically looking forward to three great seasons from her.

I don't think giving her another full year is pessimistic. That will be two years how long do you think an injury should be in rehab before you determine that she may never recover enough to play effectively. I think another year should be sufficient. Regardless i don't care if she sits on the bench four years as long as we have enough healthy players to have an effective team.

I don't think giving her another full year is pessimistic. That will be two years how long do you think an injury should be in rehab before you determine that she may never recover enough to play effectively. .

My apologies, I misread your original post. I thought you were saying that if she can not play this year, then its time for the medical scholarship.

Despite my lapse in reading comprehension, my statements about the microfracture surgery are still valid.

Next season, Jannah will be over a year past the procedure and from my understanding, in most cases, that should be sufficient time for an athlete to recover most function and muscle strength.

But, the medical and training staff who monitors her progress are the only who really matter in the decision. Let's say, next season Jannah is still having some lingering issues but showing real progress and the staff feels that she is on track to be 100% in her redshirt junior season. In that case, I think you wait. Doing right by athletes and giving them every opportunity to get healthy and on the playing floor, post injury, may create some shortfalls in the near term. But I think it is the right thing to do and I think that orientation has longer term pay-offs in the recruiting process (i.e., athletes know that injuries are part of the game and how they are treated when injured should factor into their decisions)

Last edited:
My apologies, I misread your original post. I thought you were saying that if she can not play this year, then its time for the medical scholarship.

Despite my lapse in reading comprehension, my statements about the microfracture surgery are still valid.

Next season, Jannah will be over a year past the procedure and from my understanding, in most cases, that should be sufficient time for an athlete to recover most function and muscle strength.

But, the medical and training staff who monitors her progress are the only who really matter in the decision. Let's say, next season Jannah is still having some lingering issues but showing real progress and the staff feels that she is on track to be 100% in her redshirt junior season. In that case, I think you wait. Doing right be athletes and giving them every opportunity to get healthy and on the playing floor, post injury, may create some shortfalls in the near term. But I think it is the right thing to do and I think that orientation has longer term pay-offs in the recruiting process (i.e., athletes know that injuries are part of the game and how they are treated when injured should factor into their decisions)

Holly keeps saying in press conferences that the knee is physically sound. I guess that must be from the doctor. I think there may be a lot of fear involved for Tucker. I've never had the injury I assume it is very painful. She is probably afraid it could happen again. I think we need to let her sit out again this season test it in practice and during the summer. Hopefully we'll have a group of very talented sophomores next season led by a freshman. I've never looked forward to a season like next year hope I'm around to see it.

Holly keeps saying in press conferences that the knee is physically sound. I guess that must be from the doctor.

I did not see the part of the game where Jannah made a brief appearance but on this board, there were several posts about how she appeared to be limping and laboring on the court.

So, I am taking those comments as accurate.

Given that, Holly's statement could be interpreted in different ways. For example, "sound" could mean that there is no significant risk of re-injury or additional damage from Jannah returning to play. However, it does not necessarily mean that Jannah is 100% or not impeded by scar tissue, post-operative stiffness and other lingering problems. If you recall Vicki Baugh's last season (after two major ACL tears), her knee was "structurally sound" but the training staff had to manage pain and stiffness throughout the entire season.

I agree that fear and anxiety are likely involved but there could still be some physical limitations in play as well.

Last edited:
She was definitely limping in the only court appearance I've seen. I also wonder if her general conditioning is adequate, given how much her activity has been limited by her knee. I'm sure Holly will play her when she's able to contribute, and that seems very unlikely to be this season.

I thought her knee was supposed to be OK? How you she be limping in her first action?

VN Store

Back