Jannah

She said was the best practice team has had this season. I guess they really got fired up for St. Francis. Guess they figured didn't need a good practice to beat UT Chattanooga. That loss to them will keep UT from a number one seed unless we win the rest of our games this season.

I still think a coach needs a full 4 years of THEIR players and not a ton of injuries.

That part would make sense if the cupboard had been left bare, like with Butch Jones or Tyndal. But Holly took over at Tennessee with a roster full of HS AAs. HS AAs that were already familiar with her since she's been the associate HC for several years now.

These basically are Holly's players, whether anyone likes that or not. Holly's philosophy is basically the same as Pat's. Pat's players fit Holly's 'system' perfectly because the 'system' never changed when Holly took over. All of Pat's players knew/know Holly well. She's been here for about eleventy-billion years and, even though she was known as a lazy recruiter as an assistant, knew these players as well as anyone before they even were enrolled at UT.

Reactions: 1 person
I think our best five and thus our starting lineup are Harrison and Jones inside. Nared, Massengale and Middleton on the perimeter. Carter, Reynolds, and Graves off the bench and this is our eight. I left out Moore because she has went into her shell again probably want come out anymore this season. Burdick just is no an asset any minutes she plays. Dunbar could use a few minutes she needs to really pick up the defense before she is ready for large minutes.

Warlick a top 8 coach? That's funny: She's not even a top 64 coach--SERIOUSLY. Have you watched this team the last few years? We lose to every decent team we play--and really good teams embarrass us. We looked pathetic in the first half against texas--PATHETIC; our players had no idea what they were doing on offense. As usually, the astute Warlick attributed the loss to "not playing hard" and not playing good defense--her usual, simplistic mantra after losses. We played plenty hard against Texas; the problem was, we played badly. You can play hard and play badly in basketball--it happens a lot, especially with UT.

UT's offense seems to rely on getting the ball to certain players--starting with Harrison inside--and hoping they can score. This type of 1v1--beat your defender and score--scheme does not work for us against quality opponents because 1) we do not have great players who can beat defenders off the dribble. We have a collection of good players with individual talents that must be meshed. And 2) Quality teams play good team, help defense. Look at Jones now: She is showing some offensive confidence with the ball now--but she gets the ball 20 feet from the basket and wants to beat her defender and score. That didn't work against texas--and it's not going to work against any quality opponent. She will lose the ball or force shots. This is why why our turnover number is consistently high and our assist number is typically low. We had 3--repeat 3--assists against texas, according to the stats. That is almost unheard of.

Also, quality coaches do not play offense liek we do: Their players MOVE WITHOUT the BALL, take advantage of screens, and they pass the ball well, so that somebody is getting open, getting the ball, and getting a good look at the basket. That is A1 Basketball Fundamentals. They do not have four players standing around watching one player try to beat her defender. This is why our offense SUX--goes in the toilet--just about EVERY time we play a quality opponent. What works against St. Francis and mississippi state does not work against Stanford and Notre Dame.

The problem is not that UT doesn't play hard, usually. It's that we are not well coached. Warlick and Co. do not know how to meld our individual player talents (which vary a lot), so that the whole is better than the sum of the parts--that's the essence of good coaching. They don't develop smart basketball players and a smart team with real chemistry. This is why we look like crap every time we play a quality team.

We do not have any great players on this team. But almost everybody we have is a good player, or has the potential to be good, and was highly recruited. ANY coach can say, "Pass the ball to C. Parker and let her do her thing." That's easy. Good coaches take good individual talent and build a good, smart, hard-nosed team out of it. That is more challenging--and most certainly what our coaches have not done and do not do.

In the end I sadly and cynically predict that this season will play out like several previous seasons. Into the NCAA tourney, two wins over easy opponents, and then we will get handled by the first tough, quality opponent we play. Hope I'm wrong! The Notre Dame game there will be a REAL window on the team. I can almost see Warlick shaking her head afterwards and complaining about lack of hard work and defense now...

I don't think Warlick is in the top 100 coaches plenty of coaches out there that could take our team and win 20 games like she has been doing.

I don't believe she has been in the lineup so far. She has a one or two game suspension she has to serve for missing class or something, so she maybe serving part of that suspension on Sunday.
She originally had a two game suspension. She was cleared for the Texas game so her two game suspension was for Texas and St. Francis except she has now missed more classes and Holly has yet to determine how much additional time she will have to sit. This last part is pretty discouraging. She knew the consequences and still continues to miss class. I'm not going to put much faith in her until she proves she is worthy. This program has bent over backwards for her to try and help her out and this is what they get in return. :ermm:

Reactions: 3 people
Sometimes we as older adults forget these are kids transitioning into adulthood. Like us, they will make mistakes. And as an adult I'm sure we've made mistakes after transitioning to the adult world. Yes, it hurts her education and playing by missing classes. I don't think the number 6 player in the nation needs help with playing college ball in most places. Maryland probably was an option for this kid, and the last I checked they slaughtered us in the NCAA tournament last year. Holly should sit her for missibg class until she gets it---it's a part of her requirement for a degree and her scholarship, but let's not act as if we didn't make mistakes as a college freshman/sophomore. I did. But I'll tell you what, I bet I haven't dealt with what she's dealt with in the last two years. DV is no joke, it's ugly and real and she survived that. I'm sure that's effected her more than anyone can imagine. I say give the 'kid' some slack and not condem her. With that written she needs to get her butt to class.

She originally had a two game suspension. She was cleared for the Texas game so her two game suspension was for Texas and St. Francis except she has now missed more classes and Holly has yet to determine how much additional time she will have to sit. This last part is pretty discouraging. She knew the consequences and still continues to miss class. I'm not going to put much faith in her until she proves she is worthy. This program has bent over backwards for her to try and help her out and this is what they get in return. :ermm:

We may never see her play in a game for Tennessee. If she keeps missing class no alternative for a coach but to kick her off the team. Hopefully it want come to that but seems headed in that direction.

We may never see her play in a game for Tennessee. If she keeps missing class no alternative for a coach but to kick her off the team. Hopefully it want come to that but seems headed in that direction.

Maybe the most bizarre story of any player we've ever had, and she hasn't even played a minute. She commits, she de-commits, she commits again, she doesn't show up at school no one knows why, she's off the team, we discover she was in a tragic domestic abuse situation, she continues to recover from that and her ACL injury, she's back on the team, now she apparently won't go to class.

I've obviously been critical of Holly but I think she did the right thing with how she handled Tucker in being supportive and welcoming her back to the team after all that happened. But at some point, with all the drama, you have to wonder if maybe it just isn't a good fit and it wouldn't be best for both sides to part ways. I don't think we're at that point yet, but Jannah's going to have to start supporting the TEAM that has stood by her....

I would have to agree, if she is constantly missing classes then she needs to lose her scholly and spot on the team.. plenty of young ladies to replace her next year.

Considering what this kid has been thru, I think holly could make an exception. If she has missed more classes, then maybe she has a legitimate reason for doing so. I say quit messing around with her coach and get her in a game. If she continues to miss classes then that can be addressed at a later time. we could be talking about a future All American here who could tremendously help this team out and mask some of the poor coaching we've seen thus far

Last edited:
I think our best five and thus our starting lineup are Harrison and Jones inside. Nared, Massengale and Middleton on the perimeter. Carter, Reynolds, and Graves off the bench and this is our eight. I left out Moore because she has went into her shell again probably want come out anymore this season. Burdick just is no an asset any minutes she plays. Dunbar could use a few minutes she needs to really pick up the defense before she is ready for large minutes.

You might be on to something here? Will we ever know?

Considering what this kid has been thru, I think holly could make an exception. If she has missed more classes, then maybe she has a legitimate reason for doing so. I say quit messing around with her coach and get her in a game. If she continues to miss classes then that can be addressed at a later time. we could be talking about a future All American here who could tremendously help this team out and mask some of the poor coaching we've seen thus far

At the same time, Holly doesn't want to set a precedent of essentially ignoring the rules/standards that CPS has established just because the player is good. Otherwise, she might as well give the green light for the rest of the team to go steal laptops or something.

I agree with DarthVol. Be supportive, but stick by the rules. If Jannah isn't able to work within those parameters, then Holly shouldn't turn a blind eye and should treat her the same way as she would any other player.

I'm certainly not confident holly can figure it out. She's to hung up on starting who she perceives to be her best defensive players..

Or her team leaders that run around like headless chickens when backed into a corner...

Nared and Middleton definitely need to be playing starter minutes. Let them work through the freshmen struggles, because they have very bright upsides.

Or her team leaders that run around like headless chickens when backed into a corner...

Nared and Middleton definitely need to be playing starter minutes. Let them work through the freshmen struggles, because they have very bright upsides.

Nared and Middleton need to have more minutes. That should be a given. I would give Dunbar more playing time too...her defense is still weak, (seems to be more a learning curve than inability),but at least she can and will shoot. I am big on defense and rebounding, but at some point you have to score; we seem to just pass up on so many open shots or force the ball in when the post is double or even triple covered. The freshmen will shoot and more playing time will just get them better quicker. These are the weirdest games:crazy:

Nared and Middleton need to have more minutes. That should be a given. I would give Dunbar more playing time too...her defense is still weak, (seems to be more a learning curve than inability),but at least she can and will shoot. I am big on defense and rebounding, but at some point you have to score; we seem to just pass up on so many open shots or force the ball in when the post is double or even triple covered. The freshmen will shoot and more playing time will just get them better quicker. These are the weirdest games:crazy:

I think Nared and Dunbar should be rotation at the wing, period. Jones should back up Bashaara at the high post, and Burdick should be taken out of regular rotation and only used in case of foul trouble or injury to the two players ahead of her.

I agree about needing scorers, which is why I think Nared needs to start, and Carter/Reynolds need to be sent back to the bench. When you have those 2 guards + Burdick on the court, the offense stalls because 60% of the players on the court have no confidence in their shot and will consistently pass on open looks, leading to a rushed shot as the shot clock expires. They kill the offense.

All five players on the court need to be offensive threats. Otherwise, they should only be used for limited minutes for specific situations.

I think Nared and Dunbar should be rotation at the wing, period. Jones should back up Bashaara at the high post, and Burdick should be taken out of regular rotation and only used in case of foul trouble or injury to the two players ahead of her.

I agree about needing scorers, which is why I think Nared needs to start, and Carter/Reynolds need to be sent back to the bench. When you have those 2 guards + Burdick on the court, the offense stalls because 60% of the players on the court have no confidence in their shot and will consistently pass on open looks, leading to a rushed shot as the shot clock expires. They kill the offense.

All five players on the court need to be offensive threats. Otherwise, they should only be used for limited minutes for specific situations.

Totally agree here..how about this so called "platoon" sub system holly used in the at Francis game?? Is this just a gimmick or something that could actually work. I understand ky men utilize it well, but then again holly is no calipari

Yes:lolabove::good!:

Agreed!! Why is so hard for our coaching staff to get this!!

I think holly and coaching staff would be served well to read over these forums. There is actually tons of good advise that could be useful to them.

Totally agree here..how about this so called "platoon" sub system holly used in the at Francis game?? Is this just a gimmick or something that could actually work. I understand ky men utilize it well, but then again holly is no calipari
Against a St. Francis it can work; I just don't think you can beat an elite team (SC, ND, Uconn, et.) with it. It was fun; I enjoyed it at the game but don't believe it is a viable alternative.

That will be gone by the Rutgers game. At that point, Holly will start Jordan, Ariel, Cierra, Bashaara and Izzy. Nared will get 10 minutes, Alexa 6 minutes, and Kortney DNP. Cierra will lead the team in minutes played at 35, and will finish with 2 points (a stunning 1-1 from the floor), 4 rebounds, 4 turnovers, 3 missed no look passes, 13 blown defensive assignments and 0 sideline chorus line dances (she saves those for RPI 100+ teams only) as Rutgers wins 74-60.

Reactions: 5 people
I think Jordan is getting too much criticism. She hasn't been shooting the ball well, but she's leading the team in assists and steals. When she's at point she pushes the ball and I like the uptempo she brings because we have no half-court offense. Start Middleton-SG, and Nared-SF. Bench: Draya-PG AMass-SG Dunber-SF

VN Store

Back