James & Vescovi -- all in their hands

I've been hoping to myself for the whole season that these two would turn it into another gear as their career's were about to end. But then with the season championship on the line at USC, Vescovi scored 2, JJJ scores 8. Then the next game, which would be their last home game on senior night against our rival and Vescovi doesn't even score, JJJ had 8 points. Then its conference tourney time, and Vescovi scores 4, and JJJ had 0 and we are knocked out in gane 1. All three pivotal games in their own right and our senior duo couldn't put up more than a combined 10 points. All that to say, I've given up, thiugh I hope I'm wrong.
Make that 4 games in a row now with one being in the NCAA tournament...

Reactions: vavolfan6
They just need double figure scoring and play their normal tough defense, thats enough from them.
I'm assuming you mean double figures combined? Each averages something like 9-10ppg. Now we just hope to get 10 pts between the two of them. Gonna need some offense from the portal for next season....actually...a lot of it.

I've been hoping to myself for the whole season that these two would turn it into another gear as their career's were about to end. But then with the season championship on the line at USC, Vescovi scored 2, JJJ scores 8. Then the next game, which would be their last home game on senior night against our rival and Vescovi doesn't even score, JJJ had 8 points. Then its conference tourney time, and Vescovi scores 4, and JJJ had 0 and we are knocked out in gane 1. All three pivotal games in their own right and our senior duo couldn't put up more than a combined 10 points. All that to say, I've given up, thiugh I hope I'm wrong.
Again, both guys have 5 years of data to turn to. Think each of them averages 9-10 PPG. I'd be happy if they just gave us that level of production, but it's clear that it's not something we can count on. I think both of them have just decided to defer to the alphas on this roster, ZZ and Knecht. It's just their personality. They're both role players now. Maybe on a given night one of them will go off, but for the most part, I think 8-10 points and 6-8 rebounds combined will be about all we can hope for. What this team desperately needs is for Aidoo to show up every game offensively. If we get that from him to go with ZZ and Knecht, we can have a shot against anyone we play IF the defense is there. Anything you get from Vescovi, JJJ and Awaka is gravy. I don't see this as being a final 4 team. The elite 8 is likely our ceiling and I'd take it right now....especially in light of the SCjr, Miss St, and UK flame outs in round 1. Heck, I'll be content with the sweet 16.

Would love to see Mashak play like we've seen him play at times throughout the season. When he's "on" we tend to win big.
Honestly, in this environment, Mashack needs way more minutes than Gainey. If Barnes wants the best chance of advancing, Mashack needs to be on that floor in place of Gainey. If Gainey goes off early, that's one thing. You ride that streaky shooter until he starts to cool off, but Mashack gives this team more defense, physicality, ball handling and rebounding than Gainey. Put him on the opposing teams best guard and let him operate.

You must not have watched the game
I absolutely watched the game.. ok vescovi hit couple shots.. he also threw 2 passes off guys backs and jjj looked lost on offense and defense.. i know i am still spoiled off previous years but they are a small piece of what they were at best. They looked like they wouldve been 5-6 options for St pete

I absolutely watched the game.. ok vescovi hit couple shots.. he also threw 2 passes off guys backs and jjj looked lost on offense and defense.. i know i am still spoiled off previous years but they are a small piece of what they were at best. They looked like they wouldve been 5-6 options for St pete
Even in bad offensive nights, JJJ contributes. He had 9 rebounds and 4 assists against MSU. I will take 2/3 threes from SV at this point.

contributes and plays to potential are 2 different things.. IMO mashak is playing much better than either of these and has been for a while..
When a 5 year guy contributes what he does, he’s going to play. JJJ does some things Mashak doesn’t. JJJ has won us games this year against NC State, at UK, and a huge shot at Bama.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
And that's the most worrisome thing. UK and Cal use "freshman" as an excuse for their tournament play. The stage shouldn't be that big to 5th year guys. They should be the calming influence. Veterans who keep the locker room on an even keel and composed. If they have those kind of moments against that level of opponent, one wonders what's going to happen vs Texas or worse...Oregon or Creighton.

And that's the most worrisome thing. UK and Cal use "freshman" as an excuse for their tournament play. The stage shouldn't be that big to 5th year guys. They should be the calming influence. Veterans who keep the locker room on an even keel and composed. If they have those kind of moments against that level of opponent, one wonders what's going to happen vs Texas or worse...Oregon or Creighton.
I think at this point, the leadership looks to be coming more from Aidoo, ZZ, and even Mashack. They seem more willing to carry this team from a leadership standpoint than SV and JJJ honestly.
Don't get me wrong through, SV and JJJ bring a "lead by example and presence" but this team looks more aggressive and willing to fight, with the Juniors leading, versus SV and JJJ.

they both stunk tonight
I am not going to make a case for either of them by saying last night was an all world performance because it wasn't. Basketball is not just about scoring. Both of them bring ball control, passing, defense, rebounding, and a veteran leadership presence to the court. Right now if nothing changes, we are most likely a sweet 16 type of team or perhaps elite 8 as long as the big 3 of Knecht, Zeigler, and Aidoo play well. IF this team wants to make a final 4 or more, JJJ and Vescovi need to find their stroke when the open shots are there.

The passes off of backs were after the game was over. UT took their foot off the gas after the first half

Six points from Vescovi is enough. If we got 8 from him that would be betters.

James has shown zero interest in the offensive side of the game. He is afraid of contact. He is a head case. I honestly think we would get more from him coming off the bench and should put Mashak in his spot at the 4. Just as good with defense and scoring and higher ceiling offensively.

JJJ should just focus on getting fouled and getting to the free throw line.

he absolutely has.. he has also no showed more than anyone on the team besides vescovi
As I said before though, JJJ's "no show" usually still means that he rebounds and plays defense. He can guard multiple positions.

In the last 6 games where he's had 8 points or less, he has had at least 5 rebounds. He had 4 blocked shots against Auburn.

Reactions: knox73
Six points from Vescovi is enough. If we got 8 from him that would be betters.

James has shown zero interest in the offensive side of the game. He is afraid of contact. He is a head case. I honestly think we would get more from him coming off the bench and should put Mashak in his spot at the 4. Just as good with defense and scoring and higher ceiling offensively.

JJJ should just focus on getting fouled and getting to the free throw line.
Agree, JJJ is afraid of contact. I would play Mashack instead of him

Would you rather win the SEC or the NCAA tournament?
Do you think that we won despite them or because of them? Carr and Mashack have a higher ceiling than Santi and JJJ in my opinion.
It's not an either/or situation. We've already won the SEC. The NCAA remains to be seen. Mashack contributed for us, sometimes in a big time manner. I wish Carr would have gotten more PT, but I am not the coach. You have too many either/or scenarios that aren't applicable

VN Store

Back