Jabari McGhee's Injury Update

YES...HIS ULTIMATE GOAL!!!! SD, THANK YOU! IF you say it, I can believe it! :good!:
Here's something else that will really help one of our favorite new Vols! I know he has the discipline with his year of military background to really take the opportunity to get a head start on his education with the added time he will have, especially in his first semester. Tell him to take advantage and start working toward that degree brick-by-brick while the mortar has been placed on his foot! :)

Reactions: 2 people
Here's something else that will really help one of our favorite new Vols! I know he has the discipline with his year of military background to really take the opportunity to get a head start on his education with the added time he will have, especially in his first semester. Tell him to take advantage and start working toward that degree brick-by-brick while the mortar has been placed on his foot! :)

I certainly agree with that!!! He already knows that the McGhee family is very serious about education! As a matter of fact, we love sports but the most important thing about ALL OF THIS IS AN EDUCATION! He comes from a long line of educators and college graduates, including me! We preach this more than we preach about basketball! Lol! SORRY! Auntie Dee stay on him like white on rice, along with me and his father! AD will bench him before DT will about EDUCATION!!!! LOLOLOL! (SHE IS LIKE A DRILL SERGEANT)

Surgery went well and he's back at Vol Hall resting. He Stayed awake long enough to ask his dad about the game. We were losing by six at the half then. Hopefully he caught a better 2nd half before dozing off again.

Way to tuff it out team...Go Vols!

Thanks for the Update AuntieDee.... Praying for a complete and speedy recovery. Tell him Volnation loves him!!!!

AuntieDee I wanted to let you know that I hope Jabari makes a speedy recovery - we need him back sooner than later. I was enjoying watching him grow and develop - I look forward to his return.

Reactions: 1 person
AuntieDee I wanted to let you know that I hope Jabari makes a speedy recovery - we need him back sooner than later. I was enjoying watching him grow and develop - I look forward to his return.

Thanks for your support Patrick. He'd like to be back sooner than later. Lol

We are praying for a quick and more importantly a complete recovery.

Sorry for the semi-relevant post. But I didn't want to bump Jabari's recruitment page for something small like this.

Anyway. I can't wait to see Jabari progress. I think his ceiling for talent is huge. From what I understand, Jabari started playing basketball later in life right? So technically he hasn't even been shooting the ball for long? Correct me where I'm wrong.

I was reading that article you (AuntieDee) posted about his time at Hargrave and how the coach saw Jabari grab 19 rebounds and was looking around the gym to make sure other coaches weren't there.

19 rebounds. Wow. If he can develop his offensive game AND get stronger, we could easily see Jabari being a double-double type guy. He's got the frame. Maybe this is wishful thinking, but maybe a less skilled Jarnell Stokes?

Scouting report of ESPN.
Strengths:
McGhee is a high level athlete with a corresponding motor to make things happen on both ends of the floor. He has good size and strength for the wing positions, goes hard to the basket, and can absorb contact while still finishing above the rim. He gets after it defensively, is an excellent rebounder from the perimeter, and can take the ball off the glass and start the break. From an intangible point of view he's hard to beat, he really competes on both ends, gets his hands on all kinds of balls, and wins all the hustle categories.

Weaknesses:
McGhee is limited from a skill standpoint. He'll attempt the occasional three but isn't fluid with his stroke and lacks the overall ball skills to be anything other than a straight line driver. His feel for the game leaves a little something to be desired as a passer and decision maker as well.

Bottom Line:
McGhee may not be overly skilled but he is strong and athletic and because he flat out competes on both ends of the floor he typically makes positive things happen for his team.

Sorry for the semi-relevant post. But I didn't want to bump Jabari's recruitment page for something small like this.

Anyway. I can't wait to see Jabari progress. I think his ceiling for talent is huge. From what I understand, Jabari started playing basketball later in life right? So technically he hasn't even been shooting the ball for long? Correct me where I'm wrong.

I was reading that article you (AuntieDee) posted about his time at Hargrave and how the coach saw Jabari grab 19 rebounds and was looking around the gym to make sure other coaches weren't there.

19 rebounds. Wow. If he can develop his offensive game AND get stronger, we could easily see Jabari being a double-double type guy. He's got the frame. Maybe this is wishful thinking, but maybe a less skilled Jarnell Stokes?

Scouting report of ESPN.

Yes, Jabari started late playing ball and has never been taught the fundamentals. Actually, he wasn't even interested in playing. His middle school coach got tired of seeing him in trouble every day. So he pulled him out of the office one day and made him play wide receiver on the football team. He did so well with that he made him play basketball in 7th grade. Out of 5-6 middle schools in the city he was the only dunker. He went on to excel in track as well. Holds the city and region records in the high jump. Didn't do quite as well with soccer. Lol

When Jabari sets out to do something he is nonstop until it's accomplished and then some. Trust me, y'all ain't seen nothing yet. In high school and at Hargrave a double-double was a given in every game. Out of 4 high schools here he was "player of year" and a "super sixer" for 2 consecutive years. That's an honor in my town, which we call the basketball Capitol of the world. Lol

I can't wait until Jabari breaks out in "beast" mode! It's definitely coming! Then Volnation will have that "ah ha" moment we've all been hearing and reading about.

Yes, Jabari started late playing ball and has never been taught the fundamentals. Actually, he wasn't even interested in playing. His middle school coach got tired of seeing him in trouble every day. So he pulled him out of the office one day and made him play wide receiver on the football team. He did so well with that he made him play basketball in 7th grade. Out of 5-6 middle schools in the city he was the only dunker. He went on to excel in track as well. Holds the city and region records in the high jump. Didn't do quite as well with soccer. Lol

When Jabari sets out to do something he is nonstop until it's accomplished and then some. Trust me, y'all ain't seen nothing yet. In high school and at Hargrave a double-double was a given in every game. Out of 4 high schools here he was "player of year" and a "super sixer" for 2 consecutive years. That's an honor in my town, which we call the basketball Capitol of the world. Lol

I can't wait until Jabari breaks out in "beast" mode! It's definitely coming! Then Volnation will have that "ah ha" moment we've all been hearing and reading about.

Thank you for keeping us informed. As you can tell Jabari is already a integral member of our Vol BB family. He is in our thoughts and prayers for good health.

Thank you for keeping us informed. As you can tell Jabari is already a integral member of our Vol BB family. He is in our thoughts and prayers for good health.

I'm so thankful and elated that Jabari has been well received into VolNation. I screenshot every post and send it to him. I'm also grateful for your thoughts and prayers.

You do realize that Hargrave is not the real military?

AD, I'm glad this forum has sort of adopted him as one of the favorites, but I would encourage him not to come on these message boards. As many have already told you, I'm sure, there are some seriously unreasonable posters on here.
We once had a poster in the Football Forum named FosterMom. This was actually Arian Foster's mother. Foster was a great running back for us, but let him fumble the ball and turn it over or have a poor rushing night all the sudden he's a bum. People that maybe were good enough to make their jr. high team, but not high school team would come out of the woodwork as 'experts' calling for his head.
Now that's the football forum for you, but this one isn't much different. Turn it over three times in a game and some will think you need to ride the pine the rest of the season. Don't worry, the reasonable posters on here will keep the internet trolls at bay. I think maybe AuntieDee might come through the computer and rip the face off someone that posts negative stuff about you, as well :) Point being, if there is criticism that gets in Jabari's ear, it needs to come from coach.

Last edited:
How many times have I sung to the choir about players reading the junk some people post giving the young men no consideration? Those blokes call me crazy! I think maybe AuntieDee does the screening in Jabari's case.

You do realize that Hargrave is not the real military?
Military schools follow military guidelines and in most cases are taught by military personnel. Same type of programs as Junior ROTC in high school. Ever heard of or seen Texas A & M's Corp of Cadets? See Jabari in uniform in his Hargrave video? It is military training.

AD, I'm glad this forum has sort of adopted him as one of the favorites, but I would encourage him not to come on these message boards. As many have already told you, I'm sure, there are some seriously unreasonable posters on here.
We once had a poster in the Football Forum named FosterMom. This was actually Arian Foster's mother. Foster was a great running back for us, but let him fumble the ball and turn it over or have a poor rushing night all the sudden he's a bum. People that maybe were good enough to make their jr. high team, but not high school team would come out of the woodwork as 'experts' calling for his head.
Now that's the football forum for you, but this one isn't much different. Turn it over three times in a game and some will think you need to ride the pine the rest of the season. Don't worry, the reasonable posters on here will keep the internet trolls at bay. I think maybe AuntieDee might come through the computer and rip the face off someone that posts negative stuff about you, as well :) Point being, if there is criticism that gets in Jabari's ear, it needs to come from coach.

Well we won't have to worry about Jabari actually reading this stuff here unless it's something I want him to read. I'll screen it then screenshot it and text it to him. He's not a social media person at all. He has no desire for a Facebook, Twitter, Volnation or Instagram account.

DT has already told the guys not to listen to or be ill-informed by social media, bloggers or the opinions of reporters. Anything he has to say he will say in the confines of the team.

You know, I've already experienced a few haters and seriously unreasonable people here. They've also experience my wrath that I only use when I'm force to do so. Now I'm kind and considerate person but I do bite back. You're so right, I will come through your computer at if you're being exceptionally rude towards my boy. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Will he be eligible for a medical redshirt if he doesnt play anymore this year?

Hope his recovery goes well. I like what Ive seen both as a player and teammate.

Does he want one? Just curious if you don't mind me asking.

Jabari is a baller and of course he would much rather be playing. However, as a family, we've talked about the possibility of a redshirt status. He understands and trusts that Coach will make the best decision for his future as well as the team's future. He's willing to do what is best for all involved.

Jabari is a baller and of course he would much rather be playing. However, as a family, we've talked about the possibility of a redshirt status. He understands and trusts that Coach will make the best decision for his future as well as the team's future. He's willing to do what is best for all involved.

What a great attitude. Get well soon Jabari.
Godspeed your recovery.

Military schools follow military guidelines and in most cases are taught by military personnel. Same type of programs as Junior ROTC in high school. Ever heard of or seen Texas A & M's Corp of Cadets? See Jabari in uniform in his Hargrave video? It is military training.

Jabari gives Hargrave the credit for who he is today. He's your typical teenager. The boy has a wild streak. Lol

When He had to choose between Hargrave and IMG he chose Hargrave...why? When he visited IMG he said it was a beautiful place, nice facilities and gorgeous females. He knew he would have too much fun and freedom.

He wanted to focus on getting better and raising his test score. So, he went to a place in the middle of nowhere, highly secured, no cell phones, maximum $20 per week pocket change, and the only females were a couple of middle-aged office workers, cafeteria workers and 1 or 2 instructors. :birgits_giggle:

He looks back over that year and says other than signing with Tennessee, that was the best decision he has ever made in his life.

Here's a look at a typical day in the life of a Hagrave Student. Now it wasn't the military but when you see this video you may think so...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=awvLBBc0OMA

Last edited:

I know all that. But it's not the military. It is just a military based prep school. They can leave any time they want and don't have to dodge bullets.

Jabari gives Hargrave the credit for who he is today. He's your typical teenager. The boy has a wild streak. Lol

When He had to choose between Hargrave and IMG he chose Hargrave...why? When he visited IMG he said it was a beautiful place, nice facilities and gorgeous females. He knew he would have too much fun and freedom.

He wanted to focus on getting better and raising his test score. So, he went to a place in the middle of nowhere, highly secured, no cell phones, maximum $20 per week pocket change, and the only females were a couple of middle-aged office workers, cafeteria workers and 1 or 2 instructors. :birgits_giggle:

He looks back over that year and says other than signing with Tennessee, that was the best decision he has ever made in his life.

Here's a look at a typical day in the life of a Hagrave Student. Now it wasn't the military but when you see this video you may think so...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=awvLBBc0OMA
Wow the more I hear about Jabari the more I like him. So glad to have him representing the Vols! I'm selfish, but I hope he medical reshirts so we can get him for 4 more years.

I know all that. But it's not the military. It is just a military based prep school. They can leave any time they want and don't have to dodge bullets.
You think dodging bullets is all the military teaches? How about discipline, espritdecorps, work ethic, responsibility, etc. Do you think Jabari said next to coming to Tennessee it was the best decision he ever made in his life for nothing? The boy turned into a man in his year at "military school". We did it in eight weeks in basic training.

Wow the more I hear about Jabari the more I like him. So glad to have him representing the Vols! I'm selfish, but I hope he medical reshirts so we can get him for 4 more years.

I'm leaning towards the redshirt status as well. I want to be 100% sure that he's 100% ready to hit the court again. Ten months sounds better 8 weeks.

You think dodging bullets is all the military teaches? How about discipline, espritdecorps, work ethic, responsibility, etc. Do you think Jabari said next to coming to Tennessee it was the best decision he ever made in his life for nothing? The boy turned into a man in his year at "military school". We did it in eight weeks in basic training.

SD, hear how highly Brigadier General Broom speaks of Jabari. Speaks volumes of his character.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back