Its Time

I wish, Mr. Hart, to express the feelings with which I vote for the dismissal of Coach Martin from the University of Tennessee; and to state, in a few words, the reasons that impel me to this act.

I feel impelled, Mr. Hart, to vote for this Act by an overruling necessity. Earlier this year I was convinced that the Tennessee would be compelled either to separate from Martin, by dissolving the contract of the UT staff, or they would be compelled to abolish the institution of high ticket prices for a poo poo product and bring back the black curtain. This, in my judgment, was the only alternative; and I foresaw that the administration would be compelled, at some day, to make her selection. The day has now come, and Tennessee must make her selection, either to separate from Coach Martin, and assume the position of a university that is tired of losing in such miserable fashion, or she must submit to a system of policy that will drive the fans further away to the point no one even shouts MONEY on a three.

I have hesitated long before I have given the vote I now intend to give. If the destruction of this team entailed on us just a few losses a year, I could bear it, for I have seen these losses and felt its sting. But firing Martin, Mr. Hart, would be one of the least of the evils that would befall us. History gives us no account of the exodus of such an importance. We neither have a place to which to remove them to, nor the means of such removal. They therefore must remain with us according to those who "know." We ourselves would become demoralized and degraded if we are forced to watch this product on the court year after year. The former result of Buzz Peterson would take place, and we ourselves would become the walking dead of fanhood. This being the alternative, I cannot hesitate for a moment what my duty is. I must separate from the individuals that remain on the side of Coach Martin, the one under which I have lived, and under which I wished to die. But I must do my duty to the VolNation and my fellow fans; and humanity, in my judgment, demands that Tennessee should separate herself from the Coach Martin era.
If I am wrong in this responsible act, I hope all will forgive me; for I am not actuated, as I think, from any motive save that of justice and philanthropy!

Did you use the Declaration of Independence as a writing model?

Reactions: 2 people
Haha...Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" and William Paterson's "Address on the Dissolution of Nations" came to mind as well.

I actually modeled it after secession speeches, Common Sense might have been a wonderful approach!

Tell me why we wouldn't hire back the coach that brought the best 6 years in our history? Anything is possible if enough people get behind it. I still think there is a possibility if the "right" people get involved and want to make it happen.

Because he is the reason we are in this mess.

Then bring him in an let him clean up his own mess. Teach him a lesson.
I'd take that over a mediocre mid level coach with an equally mediocre coaching record

Martin would be much happier to leave U.T. and be the head coach of a much smaller program, in which he makes the NCAA every 4 or 5 years. Morehead State, Murray State, Western Kentucky, etc. etc.

He has made his money these past 3 seasons, so now he can take a step backwards to a lesser program.

You wanna know what I hope...I hope we make the dance, some school calls about Martin and we let him go.

Everyone would be happy IMO.

Reactions: 1 person
I have no interest in making the tournament only to get sent home ignominiously after the first round.

Reactions: 1 person
You get my choice for MVP! Most Valuable Post!

It's the truth though IMO

We would get a new coach without having to absolutely be horrible first. If we miss this year and hang on to him, you're talking about a program that'll have likely been to 4 straight NITs, how appealing does that job look?

Yes, the idea that going to the NCAA as a high seed, only to lose to some other mediocre team, is a good thing is laughable.

Did i say it's a good thing, it's better than the alternative though. Also better than getting beat by 30 in a 8/9 matchup.

Did i say it's a good thing, it's better than the alternative though. Also better than getting beat by 30 in a 8/9 matchup.

Does the difference really matter? Simply making the tournament is good for the Davidsons of the world. A team with talent, depth and experience like UT should have higher aspirations.

This team lacks the most important attributes a team needs. Energy, cohesiveness, and the 'wants it' factor. You can have all the Jimmys and Joes you want and a great x's and o's coach but you need passion. Not only do we have a bad mentality, but we have a poor x and o's coach. If we lose to USCe, an immediate move needs to be made IMVHO TIFWIW HIV ROFLMAO.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back