Is this where our society is headed?

And yes, obviously, this leads to problems concerning moral relativism. If no universal standards, then everything is permissible sort of thing.

I realize this, and I hope that rational actors come together to define universal standards that work well. I just don't think universal standards exist in nature. That's all.

All morality is socially-determined. Individuals in nature are just amoral beings, probably without any concept of language, or at least a language that would be the pre-condition of a morality. No one just comes up with a morality, in this regard. I have some notion of basic human rights, yet these notions are influenced by the culture I live in. In this sense, my own morality is the product of my society. (It's important to note though that societies can be conflicted and multivalent in terms of morality, which explains, in part, why no society is completely coherent or whole - that is, homogenous.)

Even so, I still attempt to put together the pieces in a manner that I think best fits. In other words, my sense of morality is still the product of my society yet I am the arbiter (or can at least pretend to be) of the morality that proves most useful to me and, by extension, hopefully proves most useful for those I interact with.

But I am only a man, a man they call "volprof."

A lot of recent study on the mind tends to disagree with this. We do seem to be pre-wired for basic structure of language and behavior towards others (morality). The specifics of each is another matter.

Or let me put it like this:

Does a society need a functional notion of universal morality, whatever that may be? Yes.

Is morality universal and timeless? No.

And thus is the paradox of ethics.

A lot of recent study on the mind tends to disagree with this. We do seem to be pre-wired for basic structure of language and behavior towards others (morality). The specifics of each is another matter.

Pre-wired for a language that could actually construct a "morality," beyond something like gestures of sympathy, which, while moral as such, is still fairly rudimentary?

Pre-wired for a language that could actually construct a "morality," beyond something like gestures of sympathy, which, while moral as such, is still fairly rudimentary?

Language as in grammatical structure.

Morality as in recognition of kin, valuing of kin, symbolic interaction, altruistic behavior (especially towards kin, etc.

All morality is socially-determined. Individuals in nature are just amoral beings, probably without any concept of language, or at least a language that would be the pre-condition of a morality. No one just comes up with a morality, in this regard. I have some notion of basic human rights, yet these notions are influenced by the culture I live in. In this sense, my own morality is the product of my society. (It's important to note though that societies can be conflicted and multivalent in terms of morality, which explains, in part, why no society is completely coherent or whole - that is, homogenous.)

Even so, I still attempt to put together the pieces in a manner that I think best fits. In other words, my sense of morality is still the product of my society yet I am the arbiter (or can at least pretend to be) of the morality that proves most useful to me and, by extension, hopefully proves most useful for those I interact with.

I rarely take up these types of discussions because it's impossible to have a serious, respectful debate via message board. I need to see the person with which I am exchanging ideas. However, I believe you are correct. I had a similar discussion with my wife recently. I believe morality is learned from the society around us. I believe that given no outside input, men will simply default to survival and what ever feels good. I have no hard evidence for this. I only believe this because of what I see.

Reactions: 1 person

Why do you say that individuals in nature are just amoral beings? This seems to be a quite popular, yet unsupported belief. In the same vein, asserting that individuals in nature are moral beings is also unsupported.

Can you explain what you mean by, "morality is socially determined?" Such phrases are often tossed around with little to no clarity. I'll offer some clarifying questions.

- Do you intend to say that individual moral feelings cannot be trusted as 'natural' since by the time they are felt by individuals, said individuals have already been subjected to years (usually at least a decade) of socialization?

- Do you intend to say that moral and ethical codes are only meant to apply to the specific societies in which they are found?

- Or, do you intend to say that, 'morality is socially determined' encompasses both of these thoughts?

Here are the problems I see which each of these characterizations:

1. For the first characterization to stand as you desire it to stand, all generations of persons have had to have been socialized by the society created by the preceding generation. At its roots, this is an infinite regress problem.

2. This must lead one to embrace the second characterization. The first generations to create societies must have then indoctrinated the youth with the codes which would render said societies more, well, more...something. See, here is the second problem. What is the primary value this nascent society is esteeming? And, why are they esteeming this value? Again, those in this first society would not have been socialized, so at least one value, the value for which they are instituting their societal code under which the next generation will be socialized, is not 'socially-determined'.

3. Okay, so you have found a way out. This value is socially determined, because each of the members of this nascent society came together in a covenant, a social-contract. That contract determined the values, right? Well, unfortunately, this just pushes the question further down the road. Why did they agree to the covenant? What is it that each of these individuals found to be worth sacrificing for (covenants, like all contracts, come with costs and benefits)? This must be the primary value. Further, by trying to find solace in the social contract argument, you now face another problem: why on earth would such a contract be binding? Without morality, without some value given to either honesty and honest-dealing or some value given to one's own life, comfort, security, happiness, etc., the contract can never bind. If keeping one's word is a moral duty, yet moral duties come from the social contract, then pledging oneself comes before keeping that pledge is a moral duty.

4. You might still object and say all of this is easy to explain in terms of self-interest. Sure, but self-interest is not necessarily opposed to morality, sui generis. There are plenty of moral systems that are absolutely founded upon self-interest (as the writings of Plato, Aristotle, Hobbes, Adam Smith, Bentham attest). Further, self-interested moral systems are not necessarily subjectivist (against, as the writings of Plato, Aristotle, Hobbes, Adam Smith, Bentham attest).

If there is nothing outside of society that justifies the use of coercive force against others, that is, if individuals do not have such a right absent the society, then to argue that societies possess such a right is to either be an alchemist or to assert that they only have the right because the individual members of the society have consented to having coercive force used against them. To assert the latter is to justify the Holocaust and the Soviet purges or to assert that the consent must be explicit. But, if you say it is implicit but that Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union under Stalin were not good societies, by what higher-than-society standard are you judging these societies? Or, are you just pounding the table and declaring, "My society is better because it is my society?"

Volprof a little friendly advise. When TRUT starts asking simple little questions that appear to be harmless, he is getting ready to own your azz.

Hats off to TRUT , he is the master :hi:

Language as in grammatical structure.

Morality as in recognition of kin, valuing of kin, symbolic interaction, altruistic behavior (especially towards kin, etc.

One wonders if that's still just the product of group functioning (kin), even in a primitive state.

I rarely take up these types of discussions because it's impossible to have a serious, respectful debate via message board. I need to see the person with which I am exchanging ideas. However, I believe you are correct. I had a similar discussion with my wife recently. I believe morality is learned from the society around us. I believe that given no outside input, men will simply default to survival and what ever feels good. I have no hard evidence for this. I only believe this because of what I see.

Without society, even in its most elementary form, man would just be a sputtering mess, only capable of eating, ****ting, and touching stuff.

Why do you say that individuals in nature are just amoral beings? This seems to be a quite popular, yet unsupported belief. In the same vein, asserting that individuals in nature are moral beings is also unsupported.

Can you explain what you mean by, "morality is socially determined?" Such phrases are often tossed around with little to no clarity. I'll offer some clarifying questions.

- Do you intend to say that individual moral feelings cannot be trusted as 'natural' since by the time they are felt by individuals, said individuals have already been subjected to years (usually at least a decade) of socialization?

- Do you intend to say that moral and ethical codes are only meant to apply to the specific societies in which they are found?

- Or, do you intend to say that, 'morality is socially determined' encompasses both of these thoughts?

1. For the first characterization to stand as you desire it to stand, all generations of persons have had to have been socialized by the society created by the preceding generation. At its roots, this is an infinite regress problem.

2. This must lead one to embrace the second characterization. The first generations to create societies must have then indoctrinated the youth with the codes which would render said societies more, well, more...something. See, here is the second problem. What is the primary value this nascent society is esteeming? And, why are they esteeming this value? Again, those in this first society would not have been socialized, so at least one value, the value for which they are instituting their societal code under which the next generation will be socialized, is not 'socially-determined'.

3. Okay, so you have found a way out. This value is socially determined, because each of the members of this nascent society came together in a covenant, a social-contract. That contract determined the values, right? Well, unfortunately, this just pushes the question further down the road. Why did they agree to the covenant? What is it that each of these individuals found to be worth sacrificing for (covenants, like all contracts, come with costs and benefits)? This must be the primary value. Further, by trying to find solace in the social contract argument, you now face another problem: why on earth would such a contract be binding? Without morality, without some value given to either honesty and honest-dealing or some value given to one's own life, comfort, security, happiness, etc., the contract can never bind. If keeping one's word is a moral duty, yet moral duties come from the social contract, then pledging oneself comes before keeping that pledge is a moral duty.

4. You might still object and say all of this is easy to explain in terms of self-interest. Sure, but self-interest is not necessarily opposed to morality, sui generis. There are plenty of moral systems that are absolutely founded upon self-interest (as the writings of Plato, Aristotle, Hobbes, Adam Smith, Bentham attest). Further, self-interested moral systems are not necessarily subjectivist (against, as the writings of Plato, Aristotle, Hobbes, Adam Smith, Bentham attest).

If there is nothing outside of society that justifies the use of coercive force against others, that is, if individuals do not have such a right absent the society, then to argue that societies possess such a right is to either be an alchemist or to assert that they only have the right because the individual members of the society have consented to having coercive force used against them. To assert the latter is to justify the Holocaust and the Soviet purges or to assert that the consent must be explicit. But, if you say it is implicit but that Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union under Stalin were not good societies, by what higher-than-society standard are you judging these societies? Or, are you just pounding the table and declaring, "My society is better because it is my society?"

You really do know how to make a mountain out of a molehill, don't you?

Isn't this all still reducible to what I was saying earlier? Morality (the truth, let's put it that way) isn't inherent in us, or at least I think, so we have to make truth claims at some point, whether they're right or wrong. Just the way things work, in my opinion. I don't justify crimes against humanity; doesn't fit into my notion of moral action. But that is not to say it won't fit into that of others, as you point out.

Further, for there to be a morality, that is, a codified system of ethics, there has to be some form of language, once again, in my opinion. Even if it's a group of bears making bear sounds to one another, there still has to be some basis for collective understanding that wouldn't exist outside of language. And because language seems required, so too does society.

And I still think the individual alone in nature from its origins is still a blubbering mess. He or she may still have the capacity to socialize with humans or other creatures at some point, but alone he or she just is.

I did enjoy reading your response though. I figured I had it coming as soon as I read your initial questions.

The old nurture versus nature debate. In these times...I believe nurture has a much stronger influence.

You really do know how to make a mountain out of a molehill, don't you?

Isn't this all still reducible to what I was saying earlier? Morality (the truth, let's put it that way) isn't inherent in us, or at least I think, so we have to make truth claims at some point, whether they're right or wrong. Just the way things work, in my opinion. I don't justify crimes against humanity; doesn't fit into my notion of moral action. But that is not to say it won't fit into that of others, as you point out.

Further, for there to be a morality, that is, a codified system of ethics, there has to be some form of language, once again, in my opinion. Even if it's a group of bears making bear sounds to one another, there still has to be some basis for collective understanding that wouldn't exist outside of language. And because language seems required, so too does society.

And I still think the individual alone in nature from its origins is still a blubbering mess. He or she may still have the capacity to socialize with humans or other creatures at some point, but alone he or she just is.

I did enjoy reading your response though. I figured I had it coming as soon as I read your initial questions.

Morality does not need to be codified in interpersonal language to exist. Further, truth need not be accessible for truth to exist.

There are studies that suggest honesty, or at least honest tracking, is innate in many animals.

Morality does not need to be codified in interpersonal language to exist. Further, truth need not be accessible for truth to exist.

Assuming there is such a thing as absolute truth, which there may very well be.

How would you separate such a thing on a gene level?

I don't really know; I'm no cognitive linguist or evolutionary biologist. I will admit, however, that the capacity for language certainly seems to correlate with cognitive advancement. This means that certain evolutionary tracks allowed for both higher cognitive and complex language functioning. In this case, it would appear to be biological (or genetic) to some degree. Regardless, one still needs an interlocutor of the same or very similar cognitive functioning to figure out the ropes of a codified language. And codified language is what I think makes something like morality possible, at least as a practice and a belief system.

Assuming there is such a thing as absolute truth, which there may very well be.

The external?

I don't really know; I'm no cognitive linguist or evolutionary biologist. I will admit, however, that the capacity for language certainly seems to correlate with cognitive advancement. This means that certain evolutionary tracks allowed for both higher cognitive and complex language functioning. In this case, it would appear to be biological (or genetic) to some degree. Regardless, one still needs an interlocutor of the same or very similar cognitive functioning to figure out the ropes of a codified language. And codified language is what I think makes something like morality possible, at least as a practice and a belief system.

Does an individual on an island, stranded his entire life, have language?

The external?

Big Truth. Capital T. What it's all about Truth. Unless it's about absolutely nothing, which, in that case, it's still Truth, just not morality in any sense.

Does an individual on an island, stranded his entire life, have language?

Assuming he were born there with absolutely no social input, he would most likely be a blubbering mess. Admittedly, he may try something like beating on a coconut or palm tree, but even he may not know why. I guess the biggest question would be what he would do if he "thought" he received something like a signal back during said action. This might then be a language, I suppose, but nothing resembling anything like what morality would require...yet. If, by morality, we mean a code of actions and/or set of beliefs that can be thought of as right and/or good and can be repeated consistently and on demand.

Well, it's been fun, but I have to call this one a day.

Big Truth. Capital T. What it's all about Truth. Unless it's about absolutely nothing, which, in that case, it's still Truth, just not morality in any sense.

I have no idea what this means. But yes, the external being absolute truth does not necessarily entail morality (most obviously do).

Assuming he were born there with absolutely no social input, he would most likely be a blubbering mess. Admittedly, he may try something like beating on a coconut or palm tree, but even he may not know why. I guess the biggest question would be what he would do if he "thought" he received something like a signal back during said action. This might then be a language, I suppose, but nothing resembling anything like what morality would require...yet. If, by morality, we mean a code of actions and/or set of beliefs that can be thought of as right and/or good and can be repeated consistently and on demand.

Well, it's been fun, but I have to call this one a day.

What is the difference between curiosity (of the sound coming back), thought, and language? Or the interaction (if any) thereof.

WMCTV

Come visit Memphis and world famous Beale St, where they don't help a guy who's bleeding almost to death after getting whooped by 4 guys, and everyone has their cell out taking pics and going thru the guys wallet and pockets..

It's literally been 10 years since I've been to Memphis and I distinctly remember not feeling safe walking around several places in broad daylight let alone at night.

Volprof a little friendly advise. When TRUT starts asking simple little questions that appear to be harmless, he is getting ready to own your azz.

Hats off to TRUT , he is the master :hi:

I debated TRUT on the revelance of the flux capacitor and time travel. It wasn't pretty.

VN Store

Back