Is there any chance that Baron comes back? [Ole Miss]

You're wrong, Ninety percent of our football players will not play professionally. Therefore, they are training for their college career, not pro career. There will be 20 or 30 every year who may entertain the ambition of playing pro football--but it will only happen for a few. So in fact most football players better think of their college education as something more than a side gig. The old-school model still applies--even if crazy fans want to throw their hard-earned money at NIL collectives to win college football games. Doesn't mean that much to me; shouldn't mean that much to anybody. It's college...or supposed to be.
While that true for the majority of folks who get scholarships - especially in lower divisions and for the non competitive schools - it’s not true for those who have the talent and skills to pro.

They are not supposed to.

Schools are not the employers of student-athletes. If athletes want to be paid market value for their abilities .... they can get a job. If certain league rules are preventing that from happening, such as the NBA's 1 year rule, or the NFL's 3 year rule ... then those leagues should be sued to allow all 18 year olds the right to participate. The athletes would win.

Once again ... nobody has to go to college.
You're not supposed to speed, but everyone does.

I'm a realist. The players WILL be held to be employees of the schools. It's an almost certainty given the 9-0 Alston decision, Kavanaugh's absolute takedown of the NCAA's amateur status in his official opinion, and not a single Justice disagreeing in any part with that opinion.

It's not good. It's going to hurt a lot of athletes that aren't anywhere near pro level athletes and for whom the athletic scholarship is a great accomplishment and a huge leg up in life. It's going to hurt schools that never made a dime from their athletic departments. It's going to hurt fans who enjoy the seeing college athletics and have emotional connections from their time at the schools or years of following the teams.

The NCAA and schools that have huge revenue teams should, IMO, for the good of the other schools, athletes, fans, etc, form a pro league of some kind SEPARATE from the schools.

Yes, Tennessee would be one of those schools and yes, it would suck for that connection to the school to be severed.

What it might save is schools like Carson-Newman, Maryville, even POSSIBLY (though I think it unlikely) ETSU, MTSU, UTC, etc from being forced to shut down athletics. MAYBE, the court would allow college athletics to somehow survive.

Right now, it doesn't look good in the courts for the NCAA. I'm hoping for a solution that somehow helps the student-athlete model help kids at some schools and let's the big money model like the Vols pay kids and survive too.

As has been said multiple times, yes..... the scholarships were worth something BUT boosters still paid players. Why?

Because the scholarship didn't cover the value of the players to the team. It simply didn't and coaches and boosters aligned to pay them extra.

NIL DID increase the amount of money flowing, I think, but it still just proves the teams ARE WILLING to arrange more money than just the scholarship.

Can we please stop saying "the scholarship was enough" because history doesn't support that well before NIL.
Actually history says differently. Future not so much. You can say things happened but only a few circumstances show different. History says nobody was paid without major circumstances. Your claim is not backed by historical data.

I would still rather watch a team of Volunteers than a team of mercs. That’s my opinion. I don’t dislike someone for making as much as they can and making money as much as possible, I just wish the nfl(the true problem) would just take the players they want, and leave college athletics alone. Everyone wins.

Reactions: DuckInAPen and tbh
Actually history says differently. Future not so much. You can say things happened but only a few circumstances show different. History says nobody was paid without major circumstances. Your claim is not backed by historical data.

I would still rather watch a team of Volunteers than a team of mercs. That’s my opinion. I don’t dislike someone for making as much as they can and making money as much as possible, I just wish the nfl(the true problem) would just take the players they want, and leave college athletics alone. Everyone wins.
Agreed. Both MLB and the NHL draft players out of high school ... and the NBA used to as well. Kobe Bryant was only 17 when he was drafted in June of 1996. The eligibility restrictions need to go.

Reactions: DuckInAPen and tbh

The Tennessee Volunteers football team is not going to be very good without paying players. You're most likely not going to enjoy watching a "non mercenary" Tennessee vs an NIL infused Alabama.

NIL is DEFINITELY not going anywhere and it's definitely going to be used as compensation, not as intended, because there's very little the NCAA or school can do legally to police it.

The players are employees issue is coming UNLESS Tennessee and other schools completely get out of the huge revenue, multi-million dollar sports business.

The NFL didn't make UT and the SEC get this deep into the revenue. Many, many, many colleges didn't and don't have huge investments in coaches, facilities, etc. It was a business decision and DEFINITELY NOT an "education based" decision.

Reactions: Sarms58
Some of the dumbest people are in those dorms getting to go to college because of their athletic ability. While other non athletic people have to pay and then some don’t get to go. So the were compensated, not slavery.

I wish the nfl would just draft out of high school, start a developmental league. Leave college ball to people who want to go to that school. I’d rather watch some no star players play for their school than to watch a bunch of superstar athletes that are only there because that’s the door to where they want to go. The product would even out eventually. Might not see the same level of talent, but I still like watching high school games

I watched the Div2 National Championship game today between 2 schools that were 14-0. Great game. Those guys played disciplined, well coached football and the crowd was standing room only at a smaller venue. Harding ran the old USAFA Flexbone offense, Mines ran a spread offense and threw it all over the lot with the best QB in Div2. It was extremely entertaining with lesser athletes. Carson Newman games growing up were the same way. My Dad went there back in the day. I hope that whatever happens with the SEC and B1G does not kill football at smaller schools. I dont think it will, though the number of teams may drop bigtime.

I think that the SEC and B1G will eventually leave the NCAA and make their own football league where they self govern and keep all the money. What that is gonna look like, I dont know. Look at the NCAA and the B1G though....they are worthless at governing. Michigan should have been immediately put on hold this season for obviously cheating. The other schools in the B1G asked the conference to step in early in the season, because the evidence of them taping other teams signs is obvious and undeniable. Its all over the internet for anyone to see...they will have to vacate all their games last season and probably this season too. Yet they are keeping either UGA or FSU out of the playoffs. Thats a dang joke. Harbaugh already had to serve a 3 game suspension in the middle of this season for an unrelated cheating violation. Schools and fans see the NCAA as a joke and its days are surely numbered IMO

Agreed. Both MLB and the NHL draft players out of high school ... and the NBA used to as well. Kobe Bryant was only 17 when he was drafted in June of 1996. The eligibility restrictions need to go.
The pro leagues DRAFT the best players and we already know, are in fact in this thread talking about Tyler Baron who may or may not be NFL material STILL getting NIL money.

That's not a solution.

The pro leagues DRAFT the best players and we already know, are in fact in this thread talking about Tyler Baron who may or may not be NFL material STILL getting NIL money.

That's not a solution.
I didn't say that it was a solution to anything .... but it's what should happen. There should be no restrictions on 18 year old's being drafted.

I didn't say that it was a solution to anything .... but it's what should happen. There should be restrictions on 18 year old's being drafted.
That's the decision of the NFL. Likely, not very many that age would be ready for the NFL.

Arch Manning, an almost sure NFL QB at some point, was QB3 at TX (with a $2+M NIL BTW) and saw very few snaps.

He did, reportedly, make good progress learning their offense and put on good weight.

I doubt there are many players with his talent, pedigree, and future in the league but why should the NFL draft him when he's not NFL material yet?

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
Student-athletes are not employees of the school. No.
Currently, true. I'd say we're about 2 to 3 years from that case to reach the Supreme Court.

Every review I've seen seems to think the NCAA has no chance to win. Kavanaugh and Gorsuch actually outlined how the NCAA is in violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act in their Alston opinions.

Reactions: Sarms58
You're not supposed to speed, but everyone does.

I'm a realist. The players WILL be held to be employees of the schools. It's an almost certainty given the 9-0 Alston decision, Kavanaugh's absolute takedown of the NCAA's amateur status in his official opinion, and not a single Justice disagreeing in any part with that opinion.

It's not good. It's going to hurt a lot of athletes that aren't anywhere near pro level athletes and for whom the athletic scholarship is a great accomplishment and a huge leg up in life. It's going to hurt schools that never made a dime from their athletic departments. It's going to hurt fans who enjoy the seeing college athletics and have emotional connections from their time at the schools or years of following the teams.

The NCAA and schools that have huge revenue teams should, IMO, for the good of the other schools, athletes, fans, etc, form a pro league of some kind SEPARATE from the schools.

Yes, Tennessee would be one of those schools and yes, it would suck for that connection to the school to be severed.

What it might save is schools like Carson-Newman, Maryville, even POSSIBLY (though I think it unlikely) ETSU, MTSU, UTC, etc from being forced to shut down athletics. MAYBE, the court would allow college athletics to somehow survive.

Right now, it doesn't look good in the courts for the NCAA. I'm hoping for a solution that somehow helps the student-athlete model help kids at some schools and let's the big money model like the Vols pay kids and survive too.
The real line of separation is TV appearance. The bigger the TV contract, the more money that flows. Without TV the boosters are funding coaches salaries, venue renovations, and some under the table “handshakes” The TV stream funds all that do that they can fund the collectives .

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
MLB has a huge developmental league in the US as well as supporting leagues in other countries. I don’t think the NFL will voluntarily go that route - they have a no cost (to them) developmental league now. If they lose in court it will open the door but offering 18 year olds serious money to come straight into the NFL would be risky business for the NFL and reduce the flexibility the college players currently have. With NIL money now in place these kids can sign multimillion dollar deals and not be under contract as they would be in the NFL. Ewers at Texas skipped his senior year of high school - he signed a million dollar deal with Ohio State, red shirted his freshman year, then transferred to Texas for an even better deal.

We’ll all watch the future unfold and hope that the game we love doesn’t become a casualty.

The Tennessee Volunteers football team is not going to be very good without paying players. You're most likely not going to enjoy watching a "non mercenary" Tennessee vs an NIL infused Alabama.

NIL is DEFINITELY not going anywhere and it's definitely going to be used as compensation, not as intended, because there's very little the NCAA or school can do legally to police it.

The players are employees issue is coming UNLESS Tennessee and other schools completely get out of the huge revenue, multi-million dollar sports business.

The NFL didn't make UT and the SEC get this deep into the revenue. Many, many, many colleges didn't and don't have huge investments in coaches, facilities, etc. It was a business decision and DEFINITELY NOT an "education based" decision.
I agree. Not saying that I want ut to not pay nil while alabama does. I would like all college schools to not pay. Let the pro teams take who they want, put them in a developmental league and leave the college players alone. Then the superstar athletes could get paid development, not worry about going to a class they are only taking to stay on the team and contttheir dream. The college students could play for their school if they wanted to represent the team.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
He’s played hard, and given his all to Tennessee. If he thinks transferring is in his best interest… More power to him. I’d guess it has to do with what he believes he should get in NIL. It’s kinda surprising that ole piss could give him more than he’s been getting here, but who knows.
We should all be appreciative of his contributions. But his leaving will help get a couple of studs we have on the field. Herring, Bradley, and Hobbs just to name a few.
I'm not sure what the hell really goes on behind the scenes so im not gonna drag a kid or speak on his character all because he chose to play elsewhere.There is some childish ass sh*t on here but to each there own.Nil is a different animal but ill toss my unwarranted 2 cents in the ring.

Baron played great for us,if he wanted out last year which maybe he did or didn't who knows but either way kid came and did his job every Sat and deserves more respect than the bs getting spewed here.He could have easily came back got his bag and half assed it.He didn't so who am I to judge that man for him believing this move is in his best interest.Good Luck to the kid and next man up.

Reactions: irish1485
Nobody made them go to school. They got training from top level coaches which would cost an absorbent amount they get many benefits no other student gets and many get into a college that they wouldn’t have been able to had they not been athletic. They were well paid with tuition and meals and equipment and training.
Which has now been absolutely proven to be less than the market rate.

I'm not sure what the hell really goes on behind the scenes so im not gonna drag a kid or speak on his character all because he chose to play elsewhere.There is some childish ass sh*t on here but to each there own.Nil is a different animal but ill toss my unwarranted 2 cents in the ring.

Baron played great for us,if he wanted out last year which maybe he did or didn't who knows but either way kid came and did his job every Sat and deserves more respect than the bs getting spewed here.He could have easily came back got his bag and half assed it.He didn't so who am I to judge that man for him believing this move is in his best interest.Good Luck to the kid and next man up.

I am not going to "drag" him either but in 15 yrs, he sat down next to you at a bar would you buy him a beer?

How about guys like Dale Carter, Peerless Price, Tyrone Hines, Leonard Little hell AL Wilson didn't come around much in Knoxville because he was embarrassed about off the field stuff..

I know Barron isn't playing for anyone's approval or beer but he did lose lots of volunteer fans and probably the ability to come back to Neyland.

Reactions: Voltopia
I agree. Not saying that I want ut to not pay nil while alabama does. I would like all college schools to not pay. Let the pro teams take who they want, put them in a developmental league and leave the college players alone. Then the superstar athletes could get paid development, not worry about going to a class they are only taking to stay on the team and contttheir dream. The college students could play for their school if they wanted to represent the team.
There's too much money involved now to expect that to work. 50 million dollars a year per each SEC school.

With those media contracts comes the expectation that the SEC will field some really, really good football teams. Arguably the best college teams in the nation.

That monetary pressure has created a market to pay players to field better teams. Decades and decades ago the SEC teams got in this and, if the teams got better, the TV money got better.

And here we are.

As I've said from the start of this, it's a mess, it's awful, and the players didn't start this, they inherited it from the schools.

Legally, the schools can't restrict where a player gets NIL.

While it sucks, it's not going anywhere and not going to get more restrictive. If they could, they would restrict it...... no one wants to spend the kind of money on players NIL is becoming..... but they can't.
They’ll try it. That’s why they’re now starting to allow funneling through the colleges. Where the money flows, the control lies. That’s step 1 towards controlling the amounts by setting caps.

VN Store

Back