Is there any chance that Baron comes back? [Ole Miss]

When the players can make more in the free market they were being screwed. Apparently, you dig slavery.
Some of the dumbest people are in those dorms getting to go to college because of their athletic ability. While other non athletic people have to pay and then some don’t get to go. So the were compensated, not slavery.

I wish the nfl would just draft out of high school, start a developmental league. Leave college ball to people who want to go to that school. I’d rather watch some no star players play for their school than to watch a bunch of superstar athletes that are only there because that’s the door to where they want to go. The product would even out eventually. Might not see the same level of talent, but I still like watching high school games

Reactions: DuckInAPen
They were being paid less than their market rate. They were being screwed and controlled. It may not be slavery. Share cropping is probably a better comparison.
Nobody made them go to school. They got training from top level coaches which would cost an absorbent amount they get many benefits no other student gets and many get into a college that they wouldn’t have been able to had they not been athletic. They were well paid with tuition and meals and equipment and training.

Nobody made them go to school. They got training from top level coaches which would cost an absorbent amount they get many benefits no other student gets and many get into a college that they wouldn’t have been able to had they not been athletic. They were well paid with tuition and meals and equipment and training.
As has been said multiple times, yes..... the scholarships were worth something BUT boosters still paid players. Why?

Because the scholarship didn't cover the value of the players to the team. It simply didn't and coaches and boosters aligned to pay them extra.

NIL DID increase the amount of money flowing, I think, but it still just proves the teams ARE WILLING to arrange more money than just the scholarship.

Can we please stop saying "the scholarship was enough" because history doesn't support that well before NIL.

Reactions: Lekvolrrah
Yeah, God forbid he consider the 'TEAM'. I don't care what he does. Probably best to just HTFR. That's actually my preference.
I foresee a time when all schools have a special "begging squad" that does nothing but beg, pamper, and cater to any player in the transfer portal to get them to stay put. How can a player suit up with teammates for a few years and then just decide the grass is greener somewhere else. I can see it if a player is not getting an opportunity to play, or if a coach leaves, but most of these are seeking $$$ only. How about a Taxslayer " Who's left at School" Bowl ?

No, you are just used to these young men getting screwed and you've enjoyed watching them sacrifice their bodies for a pittance.

Get real: Do you know how much a full, four-year scholarship is worth--a free college education? At least $200K--$250K. I'm curious to know why the free college education never gets mentioned; I think it's because the education side of college football is so peripheral to all the other money-grubbing BS that many don't consider it. Let's ask the millions of students who taken out major loans to get a college degree if they'd trade places with these spoiled football players.

Reactions: volfeeva and Tnphil
I foresee a time when all schools have a special "begging squad" that does nothing but beg, pamper, and cater to any player in the transfer portal to get them to stay put. How can a player suit up with teammates for a few years and then just decide the grass is greener somewhere else. I can see it if a player is not getting an opportunity to play, or if a coach leaves, but most of these are seeking $$$ only. How about a Taxslayer " Who's left at School" Bowl ?
How do coaches do it? How do employees do it at businesses?

People do, and should do, what is good for them and their family when it comes to business.

College football is a huge business.

All the players have to maintain grades to maintain eligibility - just part of the deal. Of course the university provides them tutors for every class and does everything in their power to help ever player maintain eligibility
That is true, that does not change the fact that most players genuinely care about their education. Sure there are always some that don’t but the majority do. GBO

Best of luck to him, not really a big loss imo. Baron has been an average/slightly above average player

Reactions: rocytop2624
Not really. While that true for the majority of folks who get scholarships - especially in lower divisions and for the non competitive schools - it’s not true for those who have the talent and skills to pro. They are effectively full time employees in training for their career - the potential for a degree is a side benefit similar to their healthcare, boarding , meals, etc. Recent changes now allow them to transfer from one training facility to another without penalty. For big time football and basketball players, looking at it as being the old student-athlete model isn’t really accurate anymore.

You're wrong, Ninety percent of our football players will not play professionally. Therefore, they are training for their college career, not pro career. There will be 20 or 30 every year who may entertain the ambition of playing pro football--but it will only happen for a few. So in fact most football players better think of their college education as something more than a side gig. The old-school model still applies--even if crazy fans want to throw their hard-earned money at NIL collectives to win college football games. Doesn't mean that much to me; shouldn't mean that much to anybody. It's college...or supposed to be.

Rumor is he and Banks cannot stand on another. I doubt he comes back. He did this last year and why keep a guy who obviously doesn’t want to be here and can then become a cancer? Let him be.
I heard it was Garner that he couldn’t handle. Garner is the GOAT of SEC defensive line coaches. He’s going to coach you hard no matter who you are.

Reactions: rocytop2624
You're wrong, Ninety percent of our football players will not play professionally. Therefore, they are training for their college career, not pro career. There will be 20 or 30 every year who may entertain the ambition of playing pro football--but it will only happen for a few. So in fact most football players better think of their college education as something more than a side gig. The old-school model still applies--even if crazy fans want to throw their hard-earned money at NIL collectives to win college football games. Doesn't mean that much to me; shouldn't mean that much to anybody. It's college...or supposed to be.
I totally agree that college is, or should be, the first priority for athletes. Most won't go near the pros.

That doesn't change the reality that major D1 schools, including Tennessee, have paid players in football and basketball for years and years before NIL.

Whether you value the players skills enough to kick in money doesn't make it something that has been standard for SEC and other teams that want to compete.

That doesn't mean the education, scholarship, training, contacts, etc are worthless but it does mean it didn't reflect the full value of players to the coaches and boosters.

That's the reality of big money college football and basketball.

Nobody forced them to go to college.
And at a major University these days, a four year degree doesn’t exactly come cheap. Even the lowest rated scholarship player was probably getting a six figure benefit once you throw in food and housing. Free medical care too.
Not defending the way it was at all; but comparing it to slavery was a bit too much IMO. That said, I am glad they are finally able to truly cash in on their skills

As has been said multiple times, yes..... the scholarships were worth something BUT boosters still paid players. Why?

Because the scholarship didn't cover the value of the players to the team. It simply didn't and coaches and boosters aligned to pay them extra.

NIL DID increase the amount of money flowing, I think, but it still just proves the teams ARE WILLING to arrange more money than just the scholarship.

Can we please stop saying "the scholarship was enough" because history doesn't support that well before NIL.
The purpose of NIL is not to compensate student-athletes for their performance or for their athletic achievements and sacrifices, but rather to compensate them strictly for the use of their name, image and likeness.

If athletes want to be compensated for their performance ... college is the wrong place for them. They should get a job. That sort of financial compensation should come from a club, or professional organization, not from a school. Too many people don't understand what NIL is for.

Once again, nobody has to go to college. It's always been an individual choice and still is.

The purpose of NIL is not to compensate student-athletes for their performance or for their athletic achievements and sacrifices, but rather to compensate them strictly for the use of their name, image and likeness.

If athletes want to be compensated for their performance ... college is the wrong place for them. They should get a job. That sort of financial compensation should come from a club, or professional organization, not from a school. Too many people don't understand what NIL is for.

Once again, nobody has to go to college. It's always been an individual choice and still is.
What was the purpose when Tennessee and other schools passed booster money to athletes for many years before NIL?

Why can’t you be this rational in the political forum?

🤓

VN Store

Back