Is Mike Norvell a "Google" coach?

Ive said it before and I guess I’ll say it again if you want Norvell simply go back and watch the UCF game and you’ll probably change your mind. He was out coached and punked by his starting QB on the sideline. It was a complete dismantling of his team...He may turn out to be great someday but I for one have no desire for him to learn on the job. Memphis ain’t the SEC. We need a proven SEC winner and the further along we go I’m leaning toward Mullen.....

Reactions: 3 people
Between Norvell and Miles? Is this even a real question? Who in their right mind would pick Norvell over Miles??

Miles is Jones but with an incredible streak of good luck. Once that ran out, he sucks.

If Norrell is the best Currie can pull off, he's a pitiful AD

Reactions: 2 people
He is like BJ to me followed Justin Fuente at Memphis and has not had enough time to show if he can do it on his own yet IMO

Norvell has been more successful than Fuente at Memphis. Ask Fuente from whom he modeled the offense that led to Memphis' success. Norvell is no Butch Jones.

That said, I'd recommend hiring Fuente or Peterson. Have they been offered?

I've watched Norvell these past two years and I like him a lot. He's going to be great. Players have his respect, he's a solid X's and O's coach, and he's an outstanding recruiter, given where he's coaching.

He won't be a popular hire with Vol fans and he's by no means my first choice. But he is not Butch Jones. You won't get slogans or cliches out of him. He's strictly business. However, he's not the right hire at this time. If he is, it's because Currie struck out on 4-5 other candidates. But I'm fully confident that wherever he lands, he will have success.

Tweet from VFL Aaron Hayden....

UT's Hire is better than the Florida Haters! Just watch👀!

I know some don’t like Aaron because he recently dared to say something “negative” against Butch Jones....because he’s “bitter”....but maybe he knows something here???

I'm not crazy about Norvell for the same reason I'm not crazy about Charlie Strong or Jeff Brohm. I don't like people who have built their programs off of the momentum from someone else. I'm not necessarily saying "Oh, they won with someone else's players," but it's easy to win if you follow a winner. The culture and expectation of winning is already there, and it does make a difference.

Strong is doing well, but he followed Taggart who rebuilt USF. Brohm followed Petrino (who followed Taggart) at WKU. Norvell of course, while doing good things, has just continued what Fuente did. And all three of these may be great coaches. But I'd prefer to have someone who built something vs. someone who just continued on the winning culture that someone else built. We saw what happens when someone who followed someone's coattails to big programs and kept winning. We just fired him..

So, for me? If we did hire Norvell, I wouldn't be mad about him, because he's obviously not ruining what Memphis has become. But he wouldn't be my first choice.

My board looks like:
1. Gruden - I realize what people say. But I see him being great at recruiting, and he would not take this huge risk of a job to fail. He's not going to do it if he's not positive he can succeed. I just don't see this move going bad. Worst case scenario is he busts his butt for two years or so, kills it, decides it's too much work, and leaves us for the NFL in good shape for someone else.

2. Gary Patterson or Chris Petersen. Either one. The best two pure coaches in football. Obviously Saban and Meyer and Swinney are on that list, but Patterson and Petersen do more with less than anyone else, and with Tennessee having a "lesser" recruiting base than some schools in SEC, player development is huge. We saw what bringing in talent without development looks like. It's a lot of disappointment. These two guys are talent developers. They're unlikely to come, but if we got either of them, it'd be a grand slam.

3. Scott Frost. The dude of course was partly responsible for Oregon in their success, but look at what he's done at UCF in two years. Taking them from 0-12 to 9-0. And its' GOT to be frustrating to see your team be undefeated and yet know there's practically no way you can get to the CFP anytime soon. He turned a program around. I'd take him in a heartbeat and be ecstatic about it.

4. Willie Taggart. Guy is a program builder, rebuilt WKU, and then USF, and now at Oregon, but I don't think he'd leave there after only one year, so I'm not going to get my hopes up there.

5. Greg Schiano - He won at Rutgers, and I think he'd do well here. However, it took him 5 years to start winning at Rutgers...would we give him enough time here?

6. Lane Kiffin - Yup. I said it. Players loved him. He played Bama close. He beat UGA. He brought excitement back. Yeah, he did some stupid and brash stuff. But he made UT football fun for the year he was here, turned Crompton into a legit QB, and I think if given a second chance, he'd do it right this time.

Reactions: 1 person
Odds makers have him as 2nd most likely behind Gruden. Would
you rather have Norvell or Less Miles? I would take Norvell or Morris over Les. Everyone says no Google coach. All would agree Les is not a Google coach. That said I think Norvell is probably 4-5 on the list. I think Currie wants a name P5 coach (Patterson, Jimbo, Gundy, Mullen). History says the odds of a name P5 leaving is very unlikely. Hasn't happened since 2013, with the Nebraska /Pitt/ Oregon St. hires. After that maybe Norvell would be ahead of P5's like Durkin or Fleck.

Tennessee coaching search: Jon Gruden the favorite to become Vols' next coach - CBSSports.com

I don't want Miles. My pick is Patterson over Jimbo, Gundy. and probably Mullen. Norvell seems to be an interesting choice thou I don't know as much about him as I should. My first choice is Jim Bob, but I doubt he will come, even if offered.

you rather have Norvell or Less Miles? I would take Norvell or Morris over Les. Everyone says no Google coach. All would agree Les is not a Google coach. That said I think Norvell is probably 4-5 on the list. I think Currie wants a name P5 coach (Patterson, Jimbo, Gundy, Mullen). History says the odds of a name P5 leaving is very unlikely. Hasn't happened since 2013, with the Nebraska /Pitt/ Oregon St. hires. After that maybe Norvell would be ahead of P5's like Durkin or Fleck.

Tennessee coaching search: Jon Gruden the favorite to become Vols' next coach - CBSSports.com

It's close, but no. Morris IS though. :)

Miles is Jones but with an incredible streak of good luck. Once that ran out, he sucks.

If Norrell is the best Currie can pull off, he's a pitiful AD

Miles is better than Jones, but he's not elite by any means. He profited at LSU from a program that saban built, easy recruiting, and yes a certain amount of luck.

without the easy recruiting he likely would be a notch less successful at UT than LSU, and thus only a slight improvment over Jones.

We can do better.

you could argue he's already proven to be better than BJ, imo.

but that doesn't change what the perception would be.

and being better than BJ is not the measuring stick.

Easier to look good with a full cabinet - not as much an empty one. The last I looked, Memphis is still in the AAC playground.

At this point, he's well known enough to be about half Google.
So just Goo him.

Last edited:
I'm not crazy about Norvell for the same reason I'm not crazy about Charlie Strong or Jeff Brohm. I don't like people who have built their programs off of the momentum from someone else. I'm not necessarily saying "Oh, they won with someone else's players," but it's easy to win if you follow a winner. The culture and expectation of winning is already there, and it does make a difference.

Strong is doing well, but he followed Taggart who rebuilt USF. Brohm followed Petrino (who followed Taggart) at WKU. Norvell of course, while doing good things, has just continued what Fuente did. And all three of these may be great coaches. But I'd prefer to have someone who built something vs. someone who just continued on the winning culture that someone else built. We saw what happens when someone who followed someone's coattails to big programs and kept winning. We just fired him..

So, for me? If we did hire Norvell, I wouldn't be mad about him, because he's obviously not ruining what Memphis has become. But he wouldn't be my first choice.

My board looks like:
1. Gruden - I realize what people say. But I see him being great at recruiting, and he would not take this huge risk of a job to fail. He's not going to do it if he's not positive he can succeed. I just don't see this move going bad. Worst case scenario is he busts his butt for two years or so, kills it, decides it's too much work, and leaves us for the NFL in good shape for someone else.

2. Gary Patterson or Chris Petersen. Either one. The best two pure coaches in football. Obviously Saban and Meyer and Swinney are on that list, but Patterson and Petersen do more with less than anyone else, and with Tennessee having a "lesser" recruiting base than some schools in SEC, player development is huge. We saw what bringing in talent without development looks like. It's a lot of disappointment. These two guys are talent developers. They're unlikely to come, but if we got either of them, it'd be a grand slam.

3. Scott Frost. The dude of course was partly responsible for Oregon in their success, but look at what he's done at UCF in two years. Taking them from 0-12 to 9-0. And its' GOT to be frustrating to see your team be undefeated and yet know there's practically no way you can get to the CFP anytime soon. He turned a program around. I'd take him in a heartbeat and be ecstatic about it.

4. Willie Taggart. Guy is a program builder, rebuilt WKU, and then USF, and now at Oregon, but I don't think he'd leave there after only one year, so I'm not going to get my hopes up there.

5. Greg Schiano - He won at Rutgers, and I think he'd do well here. However, it took him 5 years to start winning at Rutgers...would we give him enough time here?

6. Lane Kiffin - Yup. I said it. Players loved him. He played Bama close. He beat UGA. He brought excitement back. Yeah, he did some stupid and brash stuff. But he made UT football fun for the year he was here, turned Crompton into a legit QB, and I think if given a second chance, he'd do it right this time.

Schiano very underrated. Joe Klatt of Fox was pushing him last year. He would be very gettable. Not sure what u do on offense, though. I would take him overy Fleck or Norvell.

If you know who he is then you obviously don't need Google.

I don't want Norvell, what has he really done? All I know about him is he has sustained the success that Fuentes began, sounds too much like Jones doing the same with the success of Brian Kelly.

It should not fall any lower than Mullen, no excuse. I'm still firmly on board with Gruden, but if for some reason it falls through, the list should go as follows. Patterson, Fisher, Frost, Mullen.

VN Store

Back