Is Huepel bad at recruiting?

Agreed.
Nobody with an IQ above 50 would argue that a coach could walk in to the mass exodus we had and then get that same team to the #1 ranking in year 2 and think……”it’s because of the last guys recruiting”.

That’s just a stupid Fing argument.
Anyone who has went and 'got a brain, moran' understands to be elite its about recruiting. We struggle versus more talented teams. Anyone who follows TN recruiting, esp in 24 sees this as a very difficult year. Staff didnt capitalize on 11-1, or 8-4 seasons like they should.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
It’s the major knock on him that we heard when he came here from UCF, that his recruiting classes kept getting worse and he continued to look for diamonds in the rough that just weren’t there. I’m not trying to be reactionary but with the resources we have this shouldn’t be happening. Butch was able to put together better classes without NIL and much less success. What are y’all’s thoughts?
I wouldn't say bad, but he is not recruiting on par with the upper elite programs or up to par with the resources he has at UT.

Reactions: sonofUT62 and WOKI
Anyone who has went and 'got a brain, moran' understands to be elite its about recruiting. We struggle versus more talented teams. Anyone who follows TN recruiting, esp in 24 sees this as a very difficult year. Staff didnt capitalize on 11-1, or 8-4 seasons like they should.
Right, so you think that just any other coach would walk in to what Hypel did and have the same success in years
2?

Reactions: butchna
It’s the major knock on him that we heard when he came here from UCF, that his recruiting classes kept getting worse and he continued to look for diamonds in the rough that just weren’t there. I’m not trying to be reactionary but with the resources we have this shouldn’t be happening. Butch was able to put together better classes without NIL and much less success. What are y’all’s thoughts?

Not true tho in terms of just rankings.

The years he would’ve had a hand in recruiting starting with 2018: 62, 56, 70, 60.

His classes didn’t “keep getting worse”. They stayed the same. Before him they went 70, 65, 50.

That’s why you shouldn’t believe things without looking at the data.

I wouldn't say bad, but he is not recruiting on par with the upper elite programs or up to par with the resources he has at UT.
So our 14th ranked class is currently the 6th best class based on average score. Meaning those in front of us are there because they have offered more players. There are 2 this year that stand out. Ohio state and Georgia. Below that everyone is about the same.

Until pretty recently he had the whole NCAA thing hanging over his recruiting efforts which all the other schools used against us. We are dealing with our 20 and 21 classes being basically toast especially on both LOS. Thank you CJP. Add to that he, like everyone. he is dealing with the portal and NIL. We just came off a "down" season by our "new" standards with a regular season record of 8-4, which by the way matches the best seasons we had had since 2007. So let's cut the man some slack and at least see what the final class looks like before we say he can't recruit.

Whoaa. Heup is the man. Recruiting just has to get better Slice. We aint tradin' coaches.
I apologize for misunderstanding or misrepresenting what you were saying. I’m still aggravated at all the experts Around here bagging on coach because they think a 4star DE, who actually wants to play TE and grades out at 2 stars as a TE, was stolen by Coach G.

Reactions: JacketVol
Wingo (Texas)
Calhoun (UGA) went to ktown 5 times!
C Cole (UGA) family loves ktown
Mickell (Colorado)
Seaton (Colorado)
Redell (UGA)
Bates (swing and miss FSU)
S Brown ( Clemson)
D Jones (UGA) played putput lol??

So and so forth. That's just 2024
Not to mention transfer portal guys we've missed on last cycle and probably this cycle too.

No he's not bad, but there's a long way between BAD and great. He's not even a Top 10 recruiting right now. Waaaay too many misses

Reactions: UTvols#1
Well, the bright side is that he'll attract a certain type of kid. Makes it less likely we'll make a mistake and put them on our roster. Plus, he's a known quality coach with a history of success in this league. Not hard for him to sell that to recruits. Heupel was pie in the sky. Still not sure about his ability to put a staff together and until he has a full roster and it's all his recruits, I'm still in a bit of a wait and see mode on him as to his abilities to assemble a roster and coaching staff. This years portal will be a very telling point in his career to date....at least in my opinion. I'm already a bit concerned that he's standing pat with his staff, but hey, it's his job on the line.
I think the first part about the character of his recruits is just an ad hominem attack on Freeze because there is no real correlation between recruits who may have been provided a prostitute going on to be disciplinary problems/criminals. Also, the accountability part, "it's his job on the line" is kinda a joke after the absolutely stupid contract extension DW gave. Barring off the rails, 2020-type seasons, CJH really doesn't have any accountability for recruiting or his record over the next 3-4 seasons. The rest I agree with.

So our 14th ranked class is currently the 6th best class based on average score. Meaning those in front of us are there because they have offered more players. There are 2 this year that stand out. Ohio state and Georgia. Below that everyone is about the same.
That may be promising if we were still considered major players for elite recruits, but the staff has missed on those and is beginning to offer 2nd and 3rd tier options. No reason a program with our resources shouldn't be in or right near the top 5.

Reactions: DarkVolder
That may be promising if we were still considered major players for elite recruits, but the staff has missed on those and is beginning to offer 2nd and 3rd tier options. No reason a program with our resources shouldn't be in or right near the top 5.
Been a while since my last math class but isn't #6 right near the top 5? Hasn't a big complaint been we've finished second for big time recruits which would mean we are a player?

Yet his classes are getting better each year here. Just stop the nonsense. This is a lot of the reason some recruits go elsewhere. Fan negativity

By national standards he is thus far a good recruiter (not elite). Unfortunately, the elite recruiting in the SEC (Bama / UGA / LSU etc.) makes him literally an average recruiter.
Yet he’s beaten Alabama and LSU on the field

The last sentence is the end of the thread for me. Not a bad recruiter but definitely not making the most of his blessings.

Yet his classes are getting better each year here. Just stop the nonsense. This is a lot of the reason some recruits go elsewhere. Fan negativity

OMG. You should actually spend some time on other boards. Find me a recruit who went to another school because our fan base is vocal about wanting more good players.

You have to sustain a level of success over a period of time. Vols have went through too many bad coaching hires. As you see with the Olinemen to Colorado. We had a big NIL deal supposedly lined up and it didn''t matter. Either we got outbid or the big ego and flash and dash was just more attractive to him. If I were a betting man I'd say Sanders stay at Colorado will be brief..

I honestly love our class, and if you look at the big names we missed on, I really think it's good in hindsight. Most our class are guys that have bought in rather than guys chasing NIl that in one or two years are going to be asking for more money or threatening transfer.

VN Store

Back