Is Huepel bad at recruiting?

It’s the major knock on him that we heard when he came here from UCF, that his recruiting classes kept getting worse and he continued to look for diamonds in the rough that just weren’t there. I’m not trying to be reactionary but with the resources we have this shouldn’t be happening. Butch was able to put together better classes without NIL and much less success. What are y’all’s thoughts?
Not bad, just not good enough

Reactions: Cartervol and Alto1
Do you guys like 7-5 and 8-4 ? That’s the type of recruiting results that these classes are gonna produce. Certainly not playoff caliber
Like it or not, that isn’t far from what we should be doing consistently. We should be at an 8-4, 9-3 level consistently and occasionally make a run at more.

12th last year currently 13th. Not sure what you consider bad.

To be fair it's not great either. We were thin at playmaker WR this year of all positions you would think we wouldn't be. The best OL were Pruitt recruits. We need to see his recruits become stars on the field. I hope we have plenty of chances in the next year or two. We have too many resources to be limping down the stretch or having fans looking like gleeful Kentucky fans when we land a diamond in the rough.

Question for a few years out. I like to see how classes turn out 4 or 5 years after signed.

Check 2009 class for how bad it turned out.
This. I’d much rather have Coach that can develop and decently recruit than one who can recruit but not develop.

I’m a little concerned about recruiting. Considering how bad we’ve been in the secondary recently it seems like we could have convinced a couple of elite players to get on board at DB. But we seem to be doing ok everywhere else. And who knows maybe next year with Jordan Matthews and Ricky Gibson on the field we realize we’re doing pretty good at DB too.

For stating facts ok lol. Love how everyone on here that brings facts and reality of the situation is called a troll. Cheap insult by people that can’t see the big picture of our football program it’s a mid tier program it is what it is at this point.
Facts? So it’s a FACT that our recruiting the past couple years will result in 7-5, 8-4 seasons???

I do not think that word means what you think it does.
-Inigo Montoya

The truth in what the OP is suggesting is we SHOULD be top 10 every year. One could argue top 6-7.

The other truth is we are extremely close to that now. So, no. He's not "bad" at recruiting, but we need to get better.
And still another truth is we haven’t been relevant until last year, in 15-16 years. These recruits don’t know the power of the T. If coach had inherited a perennial 10-11 win program then yes, we should EXPECT top 3-10 classes every year. That isn’t reality though. It takes time.

Imo recruit and national perception is still in wait and see. After taking a step back this year (not totally unexpected) people are not sure if last year was a flash in the pan or not, which is relatively easy to negative recruit.

It’s gonna take more proof that we are all the way back to pull in those top tier classes. I think our classes have been pretty good considering where we were.

Jmo

And still another truth is we haven’t been relevant until last year, in 15-16 years. These recruits don’t know the power of the T. If coach had inherited a perennial 10-11 win program then yes, we should EXPECT top 3-10 classes every year. That isn’t reality though. It takes time.

Imo recruit and national perception is still in wait and see. After taking a step back this year (not totally unexpected) people are not sure if last year was a flash in the pan or not, which is relatively easy to negative recruit.

It’s gonna take more proof that we are all the way back to pull in those top tier classes. I think our classes have been pretty good considering where we were.

Jmo
Why isn’t teams like Auburn and Florida getting negative recruited? They have sucked.

Ohio St. Bama and Georgia same three teams every year in the top 3
Exactly my point. USC, Michigan, Penn State, LSU, Texas, OU, TAMU, UCLA, FSU etc. Tons of teams have the resources and facilities to recruit with them yet they don’t. Let’s not sit here and pretend that it’s easy to recruit on that level. It’s not. Expecting us to be on THAT level right now is ridiculous. Yes we should be doing a little better but not running with the top teams.

Reactions: DarkVolder
Exactly my point. USC, Michigan, Penn State, LSU, Texas, OU, TAMU, UCLA, FSU etc. Tons of teams have the resources and facilities to recruit with them yet they don’t. Let’s not sit here and pretend that it’s easy to recruit on that level. It’s not. Expecting us to be on THAT level right now is ridiculous. Yes we should be doing a little better but not running with the top teams.
auburn is 6-6

The average rating is the only thing you can go by. Teams have the 85 cap so some years they will get more players than others. We have less but we are top 10 on 247 and on3. You can’t expect much more at this point. Some of the top teams have national championship coaches and we haven’t been there in the recruits lifetime.

Learn what average rating is please. You can’t judge a team with 25 recruits against 19.

The truth in what the OP is suggesting is we SHOULD be top 10 every year. One could argue top 6-7.

The other truth is we are extremely close to that now. So, no. He's not "bad" at recruiting, but we need to get better.
Should be? We average 13th in recruiting the last 20 years. People talk about we should have top five classes every year; that’s never happened.

VN Store

Back