Is Derek Jeter done?

You place a premium on homeruns. Not everyone does.

That's because I place a premium on winning, which requires runs, and home runs are immediate runs on the board, both for the batter and for everybody on base in front of him.

Jeter's only had 150 hits more than Griffey over the course of thier careers, but Griffey's more than made up for those 150 extra singles by hitting 400 more homers. That's probably translated into 300-350 extra runs on the board for his teams. It's not close.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

We look at the game differently.

I place a premium on outs, they are limited; runs aren't.

We look at the game differently.

I place a premium on outs, they are limited; runs aren't.

Fair enough. By my quick and dirty calculations, Jeter has committed 6872 outs in 10,588 plate appearances, which works out to .65 of an out per plate appearance. Griffey committed 7398 outs in 11,304 plate appearances -- which, coincidentally, also works out to .65 of an out per plate appearance. So Griffey brings all that extra run production while making outs at the same rate. I just don't see how there's any serious comparison between the two.

(I am figuring outs by AB - H + CS + GIDP + SH + SF, by the way.)

Last edited:
What? Griffey hit four hundred home runs more than Jeter. This is like the comparison I made with Chipper Jones upthread, but worse.

Obviously you didn't read the post. I said you can't really compare a SS to a CF. CF is a power position, SS typically is not.

Other than average, his numbers weren't that far off from his career norms. It's called age. Remember Ripken?

He has nothing other than average, but can no longer drive that inside out gapper. Bat speed is some of it, but strength is just as much.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Isn't a side affect of steroid use also increased amount of injuries? IE body breaking down?

He's about to become the only Yankee with 3,000 hits.

That has to do with having a long career and always hitting at the top of a very potent lineup.

He has never been an MVP type player, not even close.

Obviously you didn't read the post. I said you can't really compare a SS to a CF. CF is a power position, SS typically is not.

Why can't you compare them? I'd much rather have prime Griffey Jr in CF than prime Jeter at SS.

Value at the plate >>>>> value in the field. (not to mention Griffey had a great glove).

That has to do with having a long career and always hitting at the top of a very potent lineup.

He has never been an MVP type player, not even close.

LOL at you trying to minimize a player getting 3,000 hits in the Major Leagues. Get a clue.

Griffey had a greater value in the field anyway. So then why not compare a pitcher with a CF?

And Pedroia is an MVP caliber player right?

Ehh...Pedrioa had a helluva year.

He led the league in runs/hits/doubles and was second in AVG.

He also stole 20 bases and was only caught once.

Played a legit Gold Glove 2nd base.

17 homers and 83 RBI.

Not saying he deserved it but it was a great year.

Why can't you compare them? I'd much rather have prime Griffey Jr in CF than prime Jeter at SS.

Value at the plate >>>>> value in the field. (not to mention Griffey had a great glove).

Even if their bats were the same, a great centerfielder is way more valuable than a mediocre shortstop. And their bats are nowhere near the same value.

LOL at you trying to minimize a player getting 3,000 hits in the Major Leagues. Get a clue.

Not trying to minimize it in any way, great accomplishment earned over a long career. Getting 3,000 hits doesn't mean you are an MVP type player.

Learn how to read.

there is no comparision between them, Griffey was a once in a generation type player.

Ehh...Pedrioa had a helluva year.

He led the league in runs/hits/doubles and was second in AVG.

He also stole 20 bases and was only caught once.

Played a legit Gold Glove 2nd base.

17 homers and 83 RBI.

Not saying he deserved it but it was a great year.

Jeter had a great '98, '06 and '09 season. Finished 2nd('98, '06) and 3rd('09) in MVP voting those years.

VN Store

Back