IRS admits to targeting Conservative groups

Well it looks like the IRS knew as far back as 2011 that tea party group were being singled out. so what did the Obama administration know and when did they no it?

Well it looks like the IRS also targeted Jewish groups. my god can you hear the outcry from MSNBC if they targeted Muslim groups or gay groups?

Reactions: 1 person
I dunno why they shouldn't.

You never know how much money they are hiding under those burqas or turbans.

Reactions: 2 people
Good for them. The Jew bastards need to pay their FAIR SHARE !!!!

It's called sarcasm to those who who not realize it.

Well it looks like the IRS knew as far back as 2011 that tea party group were being singled out. so what did the Obama administration know and when did they no it?

Good for them. The far right wing Tea Party idiots need to pay their FAIR SHARE !!!!

Obama planned this in 2007, just after he was elected to the Senate.

It's called sarcasm to those who who not realize it.

Well good grief & for crying out loud to the heavens. IRS is profiling which I thought was a no-no on people in this country. At least, I heard at airports it's not a good idea for profiling people such as targeting Muslims. IRS is targeting Jewish groups now?

Last edited:
Apparently during the time period in question 300 applications for 501(c)(4) status were sent these follow up questionnaires. Of those, just 75 involved Tea Party organizations, so let's not pretend like it was just they who were subject to this closer scrutiny.

And that 300 is out of 3,400 such applications. So, of 3,400 applicaitons, just 75 were conservative groups getting the questionnaire, and that's because of an explosion in the growth of such applications during that timeframe.

IRS officials knew of agents

It would be much more disturbing if there were some sort of indication that tea party type groups were being DENIED their applications at a higher rate than others, and if that could be traced to some political motivation.

Apparently during the time period in question 300 applications for 501(c)(4) status were sent these follow up questionnaires. Of those, just 75 involved Tea Party organizations, so let's not pretend like it was just they who were subject to this closer scrutiny.

And that 300 is out of 3,400 such applications. So, of 3,400 applicaitons, just 75 were conservative groups getting the questionnaire, and that's because of an explosion in the growth of such applications during that timeframe.

It would be much more disturbing if there were some sort of indication that tea party type groups were being DENIED their applications at a higher rate than others, and if that could be traced to some political motivation.

Yeah you are right, apparently some Jewish groups were targeted as well.

Yeah you are right, apparently some Jewish groups were targeted as well.

My point is that the claim they ere "targeted" based on a political motivation seems pretty far fetched. Plus, it doesn't seem like there is a claim that it made any difference in getting approved, much less not getting approved for a politically-based reason.

Seems like much ado about nada.

Someone ordered the IRS to do this. just like someone ordered 12 different changes to the Libya attack report. the question is who?

You're the poster boy for head in the sand liberals everywhere....a sheep among sheep....a clump in the litter box

IRS targeted groups that criticized the government, IG report says

Someone ordered the IRS to do this. just like someone ordered 12 different changes to the Libya attack report. the question is who?

these things make Watergate look like child's play.....I hope when they find the source they take the appropriate actions instead of sweeping it under the rug

My point is that the claim they ere "targeted" based on a political motivation seems pretty far fetched. Plus, it doesn't seem like there is a claim that it made any difference in getting approved, much less not getting approved for a politically-based reason.

Try real hard to read this and comprehend what it says....

At various points over the past two years, Internal Revenue Service officials targeted nonprofit groups that criticized the government and sought to educate Americans about the U.S. Constitution, according to documents in an audit conducted by the agency’s inspector general.

but then again this is probably much ado about nada

Watch Meet the Press this morning? Dianne Feinstein is actually concerned about this. Pretty much said an investigation is needed. I don't like the tea party, but this sure isn't the way to shut them up.

Watch Meet the Press this morning? Dianne Feinstein is actually concerned about this. Pretty much said an investigation is needed. I don't like the tea party, but this sure isn't the way to shut them up.

Not sure how he can say it's much ado about nada when the IRS actually comes out and admits they've been doing it. The whole situation is effed up, and it is a big deal.

Government effing sucks, and Obama's about worse than Bush.

It's getting worse

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/13/us/politics/republicans-call-for-irs-inquiry-after-disclosure.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

The comments section is hilarious. I love watching liberals justify bad behavior
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Not sure how he can say it's much ado about nada when the IRS actually comes out and admits they've been doing it. The whole situation is effed up, and it is a big deal.

Government effing sucks, and Obama's about worse than Bush.

They weren't subject to closer scrutiny because of their views. The fact is, there had been a huge increase in applications from groups claiming to be the tea party. They were sending out flyers and such to raise money. So groups doing that became a cause for concern.

Of course there should be concern. If the is reason to believe that these groups were singled out because IRS agents didn't like their politics, then absolutely those doing that ought to be fired. But so far there is no evidence of that. The names used to identify groups for closer study were associated with higher concerns for fraud. Makes sense they'd get closer scrutiny.

Article does not say BECAUSE.

2nd paragraph.....

IRS staffers held a briefing with senior agency official Lois G. Lerner in which they described giving special attention to instances where “statements in the case file criticize how the country is being run.”

why are you still arguing this?

IRS apologizes for targeting tea party groups

Organizations were singled out because they included the words "tea party" or "patriot" in their applications for tax-exempt status, said Lois Lerner, who heads the IRS division that oversees tax-exempt groups.

In some cases, groups were asked for their list of donors, which violates IRS policy in most cases, she said.

"That was wrong. That was absolutely incorrect, it was insensitive and it was inappropriate. That's not how we go about selecting cases for further review," Lerner said at a conference sponsored by the American Bar Association.

"The IRS would like to apologize for that," she added.

VN Store

Back