Iron Bowl, Egg Bowl, Tennessee-Vanderbilt

It's not a rivalry game. Vanderbilt is NOT one of Tennessee's rivals, just another SEC team that we historically throttle with resounding consistency that just so happens to reside in our state.

This is the longest Bowl name ever. :crazy:

Reactions: 1 person
Mississippi and Mississippi State play for The Golden Egg Trophy in the Egg bowl.
Alabama and Auburn battle in the Iron Bowl for the Foy-ODK Sportsmanship Trophy.

Do you think the Tennessee-Vanderbilt game should have a name for their in-state rivalry?
What would you name the game and the trophy?

Toilet bowl and trophy would be a plunger because we are going to plunge the $h1t out of candy until Mason says Tennessee!

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

Mississippi and Mississippi State play for The Golden Egg Trophy in the Egg bowl.
Alabama and Auburn battle in the Iron Bowl for the Foy-ODK Sportsmanship Trophy.

Do you think the Tennessee-Vanderbilt game should have a name for their in-state rivalry?
What would you name the game and the trophy?

What about Tennessee vs. Peabody U "The scrimmage before the Bowl Game". When Tennessee wins they get an "atta boy", if Peabody ever wins again they get a picture of Neyland Stadium.

Maybe from Vandy's standpoint but not ours. Listen to former players younger than 100yrs old talk about that game. Typically very difficult to get up for that game unless Vandy did something very stupid in pregame or something. Bama, Florida, Georgia, Auburn....those are traditional rival games for Tennessee because of how competitive they've always been and because there has typically been something of importance riding on the outcome. That has never been the case with regards to the Vandy series. Just because we had trouble beating them 25 years before and 9-10 years after World War 1, doesn't mean they're a rivalry game 90 years later IMHO.

You do realize that we have only beaten Florida 6 times in 24 years

Only as of late. Historically, not the case. FL should not have the last two years...

I hated Muschump, but I also loved it cause he had them in a downward spiral. We can only hope that they go through half of what we did trying to find a coach and not have a homerun hire. They will have a gap in ‘cruitin this year.

Would you consider 24 years "as of late"? Your second point........go ahead and award a moral victory for those two games and you're still 8 wins in 24 years. Your logic isnt very sound here IMO.

Well Vanderbilt has never done anything in football so I have never considered them a rival. Plus a rival cannot be one sided in the win-loss column. There has to be some competition. It should just be the TN-Vanderbilt game.

You do realize that we have only beaten Florida 6 times in 24 years

Yes, my point exactly. I seriously doubt a majority of Florida fans consider us a rival. We see Florida as a rival for sure, but after beating us 10 years in a row and 18 of the last 22, why would they consider Tennessee anything other than just another game they're likely to win no matter what? Kinda like us and Vandy I'd say, seeing as how they've only beaten us 3 times in 33 years.

Maybe from Vandy's standpoint but not ours. Listen to former players younger than 100yrs old talk about that game. Typically very difficult to get up for that game unless Vandy did something very stupid in pregame or something. Bama, Florida, Georgia, Auburn....those are traditional rival games for Tennessee because of how competitive they've always been and because there has typically been something of importance riding on the outcome. That has never been the case with regards to the Vandy series. Just because we had trouble beating them 25 years before and 9-10 years after World War 1, doesn't mean they're a rivalry game 90 years later IMHO.

Georgia's a traditional rival? That game didn't become a yearly thing until 1992...and it really didn't even start to mean anything until sometime in the 2000s.

Last edited:
General Neyland was hired to beat Vanderbilt, who had a winning program, especially over Tennessee.

We all know this. He was hired in 1926..... 88 yrs ago. It was a rivalry then. But since we're 71-19-4.....not exactly the stuff of rivalry.

Reactions: 2 people
Georgia's a traditional rival? That game didn't become a yearly thing until 1992...and it really didn't even start to mean anything until the 2000s.

The annual game with Georgia is signicantly more competitive and relevant over the last 23 years, so yes, IMHO, it at least has been a true rivalry game for nearly a full generation.....as opposed to our series with Vanderbilt, which has been played since 1892, and hasn't yielded a meaningful outcome in many, many decades. It not only hasn't been romotely competitive, it's not meant anything to the winner or loser....unless you wanna say last year's outcome was relevant because Vandy finished 4th in the SEC East rather than 5th after beating Tennessee last year.

Bottom line, I don't care if Tennessee has played Vanderbilt annually since the issuance of the Magna Carta, given the lopsided results and irrelevance of the eventual outcomes of the games, Vanderbilt just isn't a rivalry game for Tennessee.

The annual game with Georgia is signicantly more competitive and relevant over the last 23 years, so yes, IMHO, it at least has been a true rivalry game for nearly a full generation.....as opposed to our series with Vanderbilt, which has been played since 1892, and hasn't yielded a meaningful outcome in many, many decades. It not only hasn't been romotely competitive, it's not meant anything to the winner or loser....unless you wanna say last year's outcome was relevant because Vandy finished 4th in the SEC East rather than 5th after beating Tennessee last year.

Bottom line, I don't care if Tennessee has played Vanderbilt annually since the issuance of the Magna Carta, given the lopsided results and irrelevance of the eventual outcomes of the games, Vanderbilt just isn't a rivalry game for Tennessee.

"it's not meant anything to the winner or loser"

Really? Last year, it kept the loser out of a Bowl. This year, it will again keep the loser out of a Bowl, and the winner for selection. I'd say it means at least something. This is a big game.

Really? Last year, it kept the loser out of a Bowl. This year, it will again keep the loser out of a Bowl, and the winner for selection. I'd say it means at least something. This is a big game.

I agree .The way I see it we are 0-2. I think some have forgotten just how far we have fallen . This game means everything right now .

Wait, are you saying that Vandy would go to a bowl if they won this?? :crazy:

VN Store

Back