Iron Bowl, Egg Bowl, Tennessee-Vanderbilt

Mississippi and Mississippi State play for The Golden Egg Trophy in the Egg bowl.
Alabama and Auburn battle in the Iron Bowl for the Foy-ODK Sportsmanship Trophy.

Do you think the Tennessee-Vanderbilt game should have a name for their in-state rivalry?
What would you name the game and the trophy?

Bring back the beer barrel!

Reactions: 1 person
It's not a rivalry game. Vanderbilt is NOT one of Tennessee's rivals, just another SEC team that we historically throttle with resounding consistency that just so happens to reside in our state.

Isn't that how Fla views Tn ? But yet Tn views Fla as a rival.

Well, sadly (or gratefully, whichever one's perspective), this year we could call it the "Last Opportunity to Get to a Bowl, Bowl." Last year, ironically it was the "Lost Opportunity to Get to a Bowl, Bowl."

Go Vols !

Last edited:
I get the point, but Vanderbilt is definitely a rivalry. Albeit, not an exciting one until Franklin came along. But, it is one I am dang happy we have. If it wasn't for the Vanderbilt rivalry, we would have probably never ended up with the General.

Vandy consistently beat us until we hired Neyland to stop the bleeding. He did that, and much much more!

Disagree. 19 of Vandy's 30 Alltime wins came between 1892-1926. It was a rivalry then. Since then we're 71-19-4 vs the school from ZipCode 37232. It's not a rivalry imo.

Reactions: 2 people
Vandy has been and always be one of our rivals

Maybe from Vandy's standpoint but not ours. Listen to former players younger than 100yrs old talk about that game. Typically very difficult to get up for that game unless Vandy did something very stupid in pregame or something. Bama, Florida, Georgia, Auburn....those are traditional rival games for Tennessee because of how competitive they've always been and because there has typically been something of importance riding on the outcome. That has never been the case with regards to the Vandy series. Just because we had trouble beating them 25 years before and 9-10 years after World War 1, doesn't mean they're a rivalry game 90 years later IMHO.

I think it is a rivalry. Just because we usually win doesn't mean we can't call it a rivalry. They are our in-state rivals!!! I've heard it called "hatred in the hills" a few times in the last few years. I like that!

Reactions: 3 people
"Hatred in the Hills" works for me. Vols fans don't like the Dores' upper crust, nose-in-the-air attitude. Vandy doesn't like the fact that Tennessee has dominated them athletically for years.

How bout the Ownership Bowl?
If they were actually a good team then we could give it a name. This rivalry is all one sided. With Franklin gone, things should pick up where they left off, and they better.

Isn't that how Fla views Tn ? But yet Tn views Fla as a rival.

Only as of late. Historically, not the case. FL should not have the last two years...

I hated Muschump, but I also loved it cause he had them in a downward spiral. We can only hope that they go through half of what we did trying to find a coach and not have a homerun hire. They will have a gap in ‘cruitin this year.

VN Store

Back