Iran deal unlikely: what's next?

So they were all convicted of selling stuff to Iran in violation of the sanctions? Stuff that was legal to sell to anyone but Iran?

It was illegal to sell Iran that stuff because you know. most of it is used to make BALLISTIC MISSILES!!!! You know stuff like aerodynamics software, microelectronics, surface-air and cruise missile tech,microelectronics and digital signal processors And since most people are saying that Iran will not get a nuclear weapon please explain to me why the hell are they producing ballistic missiles????????????

And you totally forget that some of them were stealing technology from American Defense contractors and sending it to Iran.

Reactions: 1 person
We traded 7 of Iranian criminals for 4 Americans who should never have been in an Iranian prison in the first place. We got shafted. AGAIN

If you're going to take out that measuring stick, at least do it in the bathroom in private.

First question is an option, the second isn't. Iran playing like 3-yr olds in holding Americans that never did anything is the problem.

However, traveling there is just flat out stupid so there's that.

Exactly. Don't go there anymore. We got our guys back. Smile. It's okay to relax for a moment or two.

• Nader Modanlo

Modanlo, a naturalized U.S. citizen, was sentenced to eight years in prison for violating the trade embargo and helping Iran launch its first-ever satellite into orbit.

According to court documents, Modanlo was a mechanical engineer who received science and engineering degrees from George Washington University. Modanlo said in court he was an internationally recognized expert on strategic policy and finances affecting the space-based telecommunications industry, and that he managed space and science programs for private companies, the Department of Defense and NASA.
  • Bahram Mechanic

Mechanic, a dual citizen who lives in Houston, was indicted last year on charges he illegally exported millions of dollars in U.S. technology to Iran.

Mechanic, 69, is the co-owner of Iran-based Faratel Corporation and its Houston-based sister company Smart Power Systems. Faratel designs and builds uninterruptible power supplies for several Iranian government agencies, including the Iranian Ministry of Defense, the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran and the Iranian Centrifuge Technology Company, according to the charges.

The technology Mechanic sold to Iran is used in a wide range of military systems, including surface-air and cruise missiles. Between July 2010 and 2015, Mechanic's network allegedly obtained 28 million parts valued at about $24 million worth and shipped them to Iran through Taiwan and Turkey. Among the parts shipped were microelectronics and digital signal processors, according to the indictment.
  • Khosrow Afghahi

Afghahi co-owns Faratel Corporation in Iran and Houston-based Smart Power Systems with Mechanic, according to an indictment.

U.S. prosecutors say Afghahi, 72, of Los Angeles, helped Mechanic to illegally provide U.S. technology to Iran.
  • Tooraj Faridi

Faridi, 46, is vice president of a Smart Power Systems and along with Afghahi assisted Mechanic in the illegal transfer of U.S. technology to Iran, according to court documents.

Mechanic, assisted by Afghahi and Faridi, also of Houston, regularly received lists of commodities, including U.S.-origin microelectronics, sought by Faratel in Iran, according to an indictment.
  • Arash Ghahraman

Ghahraman, 46, was sentenced to more than six years in prison last year for violating the trade embargo after he participated in a scheme to purchase marine navigation equipment and military electronic equipment for illegal export to Iran.

Prosecutors argued in court the naturalized U.S. citizen, who lived in Staten Island, New York, acted as an agent of an Iranian procurement network and used a front company in Dubai to illegally acquire U.S. goods and technologies to be sent to Iran.

A maritime engineer, Ghahraman also worked at shipyards in the U.S.
  • Nima Golestaneh

Golestaneh, an Iranian national, pleaded guilty to hacking the computer system of Arrow Tech, a Vermont-based aerodynamics company and U.S. defense contractor, to steal software.

Golestaneh, 30, was arrested in Turkey in 2013 and extradited to the United States last year. He was the only Iranian released Saturday who doesn't have dual citizenship.
  • Ali Saboonchi

Saboonchi, 35, was convicted in 2014 of exporting industrial products to Iran though companies in China and the United Arab Emirates.

A U.S. citizen who was living in Parkville, Maryland at the time of his arrest, Saboonchi conspired with others to evade the Iran Trade Embargo and export to Iran numerous industrial parts, including hydraulic valves and connectors; and liquid pumps and valves, which can be used in the oil, gas, energy, aerospace and defense industries, authorities said.
Unless I am missing something, it seems they should be in prison here

Iran released 4 Americans and guess what just happened. Iraqi militias with connections to Iran just kidnapped 3 Americans in Dora south Baghdad according to eyewitnesses.

Reactions: 2 people
Iran released 4 Americans and guess what just happened. Iraqi militias with connections to Iran just kidnapped 3 Americans in Dora south Baghdad according to eyewitnesses.
So what do we come away from this learning?

A. We learn nothing
B. Don't negotiate with hostage takers
C. We shouldn't be over there to begin with

Sorry, any Americans hiking and camping along the Pakistan/Iraq border are on their own. No resources should be spent or captives released to gain their freedom. I would say the same if I we caught in this region, no excuse for being there at this moment in time.

Sorry, any Americans hiking and camping along the Pakistan/Iraq border are on their own. No resources should be spent or captives released to gain their freedom. I would say the same if I we caught in this region, no excuse for being there at this moment in time.

Agreed, it's open season on americans in the Middle East, common sense dictates to stay the **** away from that region of the world. There's plenty of challenging trails right here within our borders.

Yeah, show me where that Pakistan/Iraq border is located...

Yes. Afghan Pakistan border. Even worse. What in the hell would anyone be doing there?

Yes. This.

I love traveling and pride myself on have been to strange and unique places. But why in the f is anyone going there. Not only for the obvious war zone, but there's not even anything there.

Yes. This.

I love traveling and pride myself on have been to strange and unique places. But why in the f is anyone going there. Not only for the obvious war zone, but there's not even anything there.

The Greater Middle East is the world's rectum, in more ways than one. Other than for religious purposes or for visiting family, there is absolutely no reason why anyone should ever visit there who is not conducting diplomatic or professional business. Even those who have to go there for business should never actually visit anything. They should just stay in their well-guarded rooms, have Arab Bros. Pizza delivered to their rooms, and hope for the quickest resolution of their business so they can catch the earliest flight back home.

Yes. This.

One exception to that rule is the K2 mountain expeditions that start from Pakistan. The Chinese side is not used as much.

These weren't hikers. They were contractors who worked at the Airport. Iranian militia in Iraq took them on purpose. They were supposedly at a brothel

But but but... wait, I thought this deal was just about nuclear arms? What does the dollar's survival have to do with anything?

Could walking away from the Iran deal threaten the dollar?

“If we turn around and nix the deal and then tell them, ‘You’re going to have to obey our rules and sanctions anyway,’ that is a recipe, very quickly … for the American dollar to cease to be the reserve currency of the world,” U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said at a Reuters Newsmaker event….

More proof that the entire reason for all of these wars across the Middle East and color revolutions in the Former Soviet states is to support the dollar. I've said it for a long time now. Now we have proof.

You warmongers, Islamophobes, Sinophobes and Russophobes need to come out and explain what the hell John Kerry is talking about.

You wanna hear something funny. About two weeks ago I typed up a theory I had that the Iran deal had nothing to do with nukes and was about protecting the SWIFT system. I didn't post it because I thought it was too far into the conspiracy realm (didn't want to get further grouped in the truther crowd). Now the Secretary of State is saying something very similar. Doesn't seem as conspiratorial now.

We told you so...

PressTV-Iranian banks prepare for joining SWIFT banking system

VN Store

Back