Iran deal unlikely: what's next?

Because Obama said earlier this year that sanctions (as they relate to Cuba) are ineffective. If we have documented proof that Cuban sanctions over the last 55 years don't work, why should we continue on with 35+ years of sanctions on Iran (or a years worth of sanctions on Russia for that matter)?

Obama says they don't work? That's the reason?

If we follow this reason why didn't he get rid of them earlier on? More importantly, why do he and Kerry go on and on about the "snap-back" provision if they have no impact? What would the point of reinstating them be?

Reactions: 1 person
Obama says they don't work? That's the reason?

If we follow this reason why didn't he get rid of them earlier on? More importantly, why do he and Kerry go on and on about the "snap-back" provision if they have no impact? What would the point of reinstating them be?

I really don't see what it would accomplish if we decide to sanction Iran solo... symbolic gesture?

Reactions: 2 people
I've read a lot of whiney butt nonsense on this forum, but you may be the whiniest I've ever seen.

Your whiniest nature is almost incomprehensible.

How a grown man (I presume) gets on line all day to just post whiney butt **** constantly about things is beyond me.

You must have no other occupation.

Look, you're going to be fine.

If, by chance, 10 to 20 years from now Iran has whipped you and me out, then we can talk.

I think there's a solid 99.9% chance though that, 10 to 20 years from now, you'll still be safe on here to whine to high heaven about everything.

I posted a link that proves LG doesn't have a clue WTF he's talking about. Not sure how that's whiney and you're speaking a lot of gibberish.

Not changing topics, just asking why it is justified to sanction one but not the other?

Justified in what sense? Sanctions on Iran were specifically to deter their development of a nuclear weapon - that was made painfully clear when Team Obama refused to include anything (sponsorship of terrorism, the prisoners they're holding, etc.) the topic of the deal.

What should the sanctions on Saudi Arabia be about?

I really don't see what it would accomplish if we decide to sanction Iran solo... symbolic gesture?

People keep acting like we have to drop sanctions because everyone else is and implying our sanctions are meaningless without other countries playing along.

Neither of those assumptions are true and I was simply challenging them. Our sanctions would still have some bite and if we tried hard enough we could have likely persuaded some others to play along.

Of course there is no way we won't drop sanctions since that was the goal all along in these negotiations - to "bring Iran into the world" and all that feel good stuff. This deal was cast from the beginning and the outcome is no surprise.

People keep acting like we have to drop sanctions because everyone else is and implying our sanctions are meaningless without other countries playing along.

Neither of those assumptions are true and I was simply challenging them. Our sanctions would still have some bite and if we tried hard enough we could have likely persuaded some others to play along.

Of course there is no way we won't drop sanctions since that was the goal all along in these negotiations - to "bring Iran into the world" and all that feel good stuff. This deal was cast from the beginning and the outcome is no surprise.

Iran's economy was in the drain so obviously the sanctions were doing something.

Also supporters of this deal are acting like the American public has not already witnessed 8 years of idiotic deals by Barry. He has essentially 0 credibility right now.

It's what Scarborough was saying. I watched it. Moreover, it's what the right has been claiming for awhile: it's part of the narrative that Obama is a secret agent Muslim.

You know. Because he looks like one.

You result do come up query the most irrational counter points I've ever seen...

Even if we had walked away from the table, the fact is that the substantial majority of the sanctions were going to end, and we had zero control over that.

You keep ignoring that.

be specific, which sanctions are you referring to exactly? The US sanctions could simply be renewed by Congress. It's not like they are one and done.

Last edited:
Justified in what sense? Sanctions on Iran were specifically to deter their development of a nuclear weapon - that was made painfully clear when Team Obama refused to include anything (sponsorship of terrorism, the prisoners they're holding, etc.) the topic of the deal.

That is the stated reason, but after some investigating, I think it has more to do with making sure that Iran isn't able to upgrade their domestic oil refining infrastructure.

That is the stated reason, but after some investigating, I think it has more to do with making sure that Iran isn't able to upgrade their domestic oil refining infrastructure.

They don't want oil sold for anything other than dollars. Period.

This is a power play against Russia. If the U.S. Doesn't get its way, expect war.

At this point, the US can play this game of sanctions with Iran all they want. The reason why the sanctions would have had any "bite" before the SWIFT alternative and other events over the last 2-3 years is that it is very difficult to settle trade outside of using dollars or using Western trade settlement tools.

But at this point, countries are making trade deals outside of the USD and making deals to settle trade in terms of each others currencies across Eurasia... so from this point forward, sanctions would be of little value. Iran could trade oil for finished products with China all day/every day without having to worry about their assets being locked in Western/US hands.

They don't want oil sold for anything other than dollars. Period.

This is a power play against Russia. If the U.S. Doesn't get its way, expect war.

Ira being able to refine its own oil domestically is the key to that, also. If they can improve their domestic refining capabilities, they could be the next lowest cost producer of oil next to the Saudis and they would be able to feed China all of the oil it needs without having to sell a single barrel of oil for USD.

Interesting...

India invests $3 bln to oil refinery in Iran

After signing the Iranian nuclear deal, Jyotsna Suri, President of the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) claimed that Iran would build up oil supply to India.

Iranian Minister of Petroleum Bijan Namdar Zangeneh also said that Tehran aims to build up its presence at the global energy market, just as the sanctions are lifted.

its interesting that a nation that had been isolated for decades is building up international trade now that it has rejoined the world?

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back