iPhone vs. Droid

Ability to download and customize completely different launchers.

WiFi Direct

Google Wallet

Ability to load completely different ROMS/kernels than what your device shipped with.

Ability to use a completely different operating system if you want

etc.

Wi-fi direct? That's nothing new. Google wallet isn't ready & I still prefer my debit card. All I have to do is jailbreak my phone for the rest. Guess I'm smarter than I thought. None of this is complexed.

Wi-fi direct? That's nothing new. Google wallet isn't ready & I still prefer my debit card. All I have to do is jailbreak my phone for the rest. Guess I'm smarter than I thought. None of this is complexed.

So the phone you buy stock can't do the things android can without being hacked. Once hacked, then you have the capabilities of a stock android. Can we end this thread now?

So the phone you buy stock can't do the things android can without being hacked. Once hacked, then you have the capabilities of a stock android. Can we end this thread now?

& android has to be rooted or download apps to replace apps. What's the difference? Lol @ hacked.

I haven't seen an example. I just heard that android was complexed & for rocket scientists & iPhone was for technically challenged simpletons. Just looking for an example of the complexity.

-The obvious Customization you can do on droids (alternate keyboards, lockscreens, notifications, dialer)

-Install unmanaged apps

-With droid you have true app integration. Especially with your social networking sites. Examples are like using the share button after taking a picture and or sharing information and having options on what to do with it.

-Free Google maps Nav. Highly underrated part of the Android perks

-True Multi-tasking

-Apps that are native to your phone from Google(Google voice, Google Wallet, Better GMail)

-Alternate market stores for apps

-Open source system that can run on phones, Tablets, and e-readers

-and of course flash

-Tons of android apps can be changed to be widgets where they can be put on the screen. Better customization and often practicality to be able to just navigate an app from a widget.

I guess when you copy a device you have to try & 1 up them & add every insignificant feature you can.

Did somebody who works for Google rape you? Serious question, I'm curious

haha no lie! They guy whines about proof, you provide some facts, and then he comes back with saying its all insignificant anyways and they copied the iphone. Amazes me

He's your typical fanboi for Apple, who thinks Jobs was a god. The kind that you take around back to the woodshed....

He's your typical fanboi for Apple, who thinks Jobs was a god. The kind that you take around back to the woodshed....

Lol. I own one apple product & it's an iPhone. You're the kind that probably writes a check their ass can't cash. I forgot, this is a messageboard. Don't pretend you know me for a second because of this debatable entertainment.

haha no lie! They guy whines about proof, you provide some facts, and then he comes back with saying its all insignificant anyways and they copied the iphone. Amazes me

Do you use google wallet? Do you have rainbow colored signal strength bars? The android is what it is but wouldn't be here if not for Apple innovations.

Do you use google wallet? Do you have rainbow colored signal strength bars? The android is what it is but wouldn't be here if not for Apple innovations.

Yes and ill agree that apple had one of the first smartphones that was touchscreen. But im confused as to what you are arguing. Is it that android is a inferior product or that the iphone has contributed to a large amount of innovations in the market?

And would you rather not have competition in the market? To think that apple is the only company pushing forward and everyone else is merely copying them is absurd. There was a time that apple was dominant but that time is in the past. Android has caught them and in many phases (which ultimately comes down to preference) has passed them.

Lol. I own one apple product & it's an iPhone. You're the kind that probably writes a check their ass can't cash. I forgot, this is a messageboard. Don't pretend you know me for a second because of this debatable entertainment.

Actually I write checks my ass can cash...and I have used apple products extensively...they are not that great....you've used an iPhone....I had more problems with an iPhone then I have ever had with the three Android Devices, and no...iPhone didn't revolutionize anything. It made a smart phone a 13 year old girl can use. Woopty do...I guess you're a 13 year old girl.

Actually I write checks my ass can cash...and I have used apple products extensively...they are not that great....you've used an iPhone....I had more problems with an iPhone then I have ever had with the three Android Devices, and no...iPhone didn't revolutionize anything. It made a smart phone a 13 year old girl can use. Woopty do...I guess you're a 13 year old girl.

You're just dumb.

Yes and ill agree that apple had one of the first smartphones that was touchscreen. But im confused as to what you are arguing. Is it that android is a inferior product or that the iphone has contributed to a large amount of innovations in the market?

And would you rather not have competition in the market? To think that apple is the only company pushing forward and everyone else is merely copying them is absurd. There was a time that apple was dominant but that time is in the past. Android has caught them and in many phases (which ultimately comes down to preference) has passed them.

I agree with some of your points until the end.

& android has to be rooted or download apps to replace apps. What's the difference? Lol @ hacked.

The term hacked was used intentionally just to avoid normal jargon. The idea being you must modify your iPhone to customize how your phone operates aka perform like an android.

Iphone manufacturer - Apple
Iphone Providers - AT&T, Verizon

Android manufacturer - All cell phone companies except Apple
Android Providers - Every Provider in the country including Cricket

There is absolutely no way the Iphone with 1 manufacturer and 2 Providers be able to keep up with Droids going forward in sales since it is limited to AT&T and Verizon. One would have to be very naive to think iphone can continue to be at the top of the smart phone food chain in sales given the above information.

The first smartphone was the IBM Simon; it was designed in 1992 and shown as a concept product[5] that year at COMDEX, the computer industry trade show held in Las Vegas, Nevada. It was released to the public in 1993 and sold by BellSouth. Besides being a mobile phone, it also contained a calendar, address book, world clock, calculator, note pad, e-mail client, the ability to send and receive faxes, and games. It had no physical buttons, instead customers used a touchscreen to select telephone numbers with a finger or create faxes and memos with an optional stylus. Text was entered with a unique on-screen "predictive" keyboard. By today's standards, the Simon would be a fairly low-end product, lacking a camera and the ability to download third-party applications. However, its feature set at the time was highly advanced.

The Nokia Communicator line was the first of Nokia's smartphones starting with the Nokia 9000, released in 1996. This distinctive palmtop computer style smartphone was the result of a collaborative effort of an early successful and costly personal digital assistant (PDA) by Hewlett-Packard

In 2000, the touchscreen Ericsson R380 Smartphone was released.[9] It was the first device to use an open operating system, the Symbian OS.[10] It was the first device marketed as a 'smartphone'.[11] It combined the functions of a mobile phone and a personal digital assistant (PDA).[12] In December 1999 the magazine Popular Science appointed the Ericsson R380 Smartphone to one of the most important advances in science and technology

Apple introduced the iphone in 2007, the only way to run apps on it at the time was to jailbreak it, in July 2008 Apple came out with its 2nd generation iphone and introduced the app store. The Android operating system for smartphones was released in 2008. Android is an open-source platform backed by Google, along with major hardware and software developers (such as Intel, HTC, ARM, Motorola and Samsung, to name a few), that form the Open Handset Alliance.[53] The first phone to use Android was the HTC Dream, branded for distribution by T-Mobile as the G1. The software suite included on the phone consists of integration with Google's proprietary applications, such as Maps, Calendar, and Gmail, and a full HTML web browser. Android supports the execution of native applications and a preemptive multitasking capability (in the form of services). Third-party apps are available via the Android Market (released October 2008), including both free and paid apps.

The term hacked was used intentionally just to avoid normal jargon. The idea being you must modify your iPhone to customize how your phone operates aka perform like an android.

He's just being argumentative. Jailbreaking is absolutely a hack. It's not that difficult to understand. I think his hangup is hacking makes it sound difficult, but hacks don't have to be difficult.

Count me in for the iPhone bandwagon. I love my iPhone, but I've never owned a Droid, just played with them. I got my girlfriend an Android phone for Christmas, so I'll get some hands on with it and decide which I like best.

I realize it's not exactly a fair comparison, but she's on a prepaid plan, so I had to get her the LG Thrive.

Iphone manufacturer - Apple
Iphone Providers - AT&T, Verizon

Android manufacturer - All cell phone companies except Apple
Android Providers - Every Provider in the country including Cricket

There is absolutely no way the Iphone with 1 manufacturer and 2 Providers be able to keep up with Droids going forward in sales since it is limited to AT&T and Verizon. One would have to be very naive to think iphone can continue to be at the top of the smart phone food chain in sales given the above information.

You left off sprint. Having more manufacturers is not a good thing. Constant hardware changes & variations of the same OS with some gimmick thrown in here or there. Apple doesn't have any problems with sales.

VN Store

Back