Interesting VT 2016 Preview

You can know all the Xs and Os but if you don't have the Jimmys and Joe's it doesn't matter. Just because Bud Foster is on the sideline doesn't mean he's going to stop us. His resume speaks for itself. He has proven what he can do with great athletes. He has also proven what happens when he doesn't have the same caliber of players to run that defense. I'm not saying he's turned stupid I'm saying that program has been in decline since they beat us in 2009 season.

Yeah they overlooked vt, doubt we do it considering we are an on the rise program and osu had been established.

Ohio state also was breaking in a brand new qb because Miller got injured and it was there 2nd game. Had Ohio state plated VT later in the season OSU would've beat them soundly.

VT will have a good defense, they always do, but Tennessee should win comfortably. Should not be in doubt going into the fourth quarter. I hate VT (and VT fair-weather fans)

They lose 5 of their starting front 7 after finishing 7th in the ACC in rushing D. They face UT's rushing O that finished 2nd in the SEC and returns everyone but Kerbyson and Pearson. That match up is virtually tailor made for UT.

UT's D and VT's O both return 8 starters. VT returns a 1000 yd receiver and 1000 yd rusher along with a QB that could be an upgrade over Brewer. UT returns a D with only one real question: Who starts beside Kelly at S. Every other position has depth and talent.

One thing to watch for is that VT was 11th in sacks allowed last year. They were 10th in INT's allowed

The ultimate bottom line is that UT is a much more talented team across the board. As we sit here today, I don't see a single match up that favors them.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah they overlooked vt, doubt we do it considering we are an on the rise program and osu had been established.

I've criticized Jones but this is a notable difference where he is BETTER than Meyer. Jones gets his teams mentally prepared for every opponent. It is an integral component of his execution focused coaching style.

will be ugly....they lost what studs they did have on defense also.

They have recruited a good amount of speed.
The JUCO QB coming in could be another Dak Prescott.
Their RB is one of the best in the ACC.
They have two WRS who could play for us.
Their speed is good on defense.
Fuente will have that offense in good shape.

BUT...we are too experienced. Too talented. And we are much more physical.
Plus we are just as fast if not faster.

38-17 Vols

I really hope we beat them by 50. I live in VA and don't even want to hear these obnoxious VT fans.They all think VT is the greatest football team in the history of the world.

Reactions: 1 person
I really hope we beat them by 50. I live in VA and don't even want to hear these obnoxious VT fans.They all think VT is the greatest football team in the history of the world.

I'm in Radford, 10 mins from VT. The Hokie fans here are convinced VT is a better program than UT, they travel better, better facilities, blah blah.. they hate UT as if we are long time rivals.

I'm in Radford, 10 mins from VT. The Hokie fans here are convinced VT is a better program than UT, they travel better, better facilities, blah blah.. they hate UT as if we are long time rivals.

I feel ya man. I work with several VT fans and until last 2 years they've run their mouths non-stop. I remember couple years ago they were talking about beating us by 35 points. Now the silence is deafening lol

I live in Covington and work with a lot of VT grads and even more fans. Got to say I agree with what you said about them. Very delusional !!!!!

Radford? I live in fairlawn just across the bridge haha. Hello neighbor.

Foster is a damn good DC, so I don't think we'll dominate from start to finish, but I think we should win by at least two scores, if not handily.

VT will be breaking in a new QB and offense, so our defense should keep them from being too much of a factor.

I think that espn would beg to differ:
USC Trojans, Oklahoma Sooners have toughest 2016 nonconference schedules

4. Virginia Tech Hokies

Sept. 3: Liberty
Sept. 10: vs. Tennessee in Bristol, Tennessee
Sept. 24: East Carolina
Nov. 19: at Notre Dame

We're going with the Hokies in the No. 4 spot because they have two games against potential top-10 foes away from home. The first is the second week of the season against Tennessee at Bristol Motor Speedway. The novelty of it all will make this quite an event, but it's also going to be quite a challenge for Justin Fuente's bunch. This should be Butch Jones' best team at Tennessee. The East Carolina game is in Blacksburg, but the Pirates have won the last two against the Hokies, who also have to travel to Notre Dame.

The writer must live under a rock?! That is about the only way he could have made that up.

I don't really feel comfortable with predicted scores or outcomes this early, SOOOOO much can change in seven months with injuries, off the field issues, etc. The Bristol game will have an extra side helping of unknowns due to the venue and it's strangeness.

That said, UT should be favored by a comfortable margin baring the unexpected.

But I just want to go into 2016/Team 120 with an attitude of not predicting awesomeness or running my mouth. I feel better about UT football than I have in a decade and I just feel comfortable letting Team 120 do all my talking for me on the field each week. I feel no need to prove anything with words. It is the due season for action and results that speak for themselves.

I plan to speak softly and carry a big stick as Teddy Roosevelt so famously said.

Lets just get to September and "PLAY BALL". Enjoy and savor the time. Don't clutter it up with too much talk. Leave that to the Bammers and Barners.

I plan to just smile and tell each opposing team that I look forward to the honor of playing against them on the gridiron come gameday. That is enough for me right now.

I think what I mean to say is that I am weary and wary of much talk with few results (the way I have lived my Vol life this last decade). I want to try a year with the flipside, few words, no braggadocio and hopefully many victories.

(Of course, if the Third Saturday in October were to turn out as I earnestly hope, I will of course allow myself just a wee bit of extra gloating) :)

They lose 5 of their starting front 7 after finishing 7th in the ACC in rushing D. They face UT's rushing O that finished 2nd in the SEC and returns everyone but Kerbyson and Pearson. That match up is virtually tailor made for UT.

UT's D and VT's O both return 8 starters. VT returns a 1000 yd receiver and 1000 yd rusher along with a QB that could be an upgrade over Brewer. UT returns a D with only one real question: Who starts beside Kelly at S. Every other position has depth and talent.

One thing to watch for is that VT was 11th in sacks allowed last year. They were 10th in INT's allowed

The ultimate bottom line is that UT is a much more talented team across the board. As we sit here today, I don't see a single match up that favors them.

I'm not sure where you got these numbers from. VT was tied for 102nd in sacks allowed and tied for 97th in INTs allowed. I expect a field day from our DL and secondary.

I'm not sure where you got these numbers from. VT was tied for 102nd in sacks allowed and tied for 97th in INTs allowed. I expect a field day from our DL and secondary.

Sorry. I meant within the ACC. I should have been more careful. I generally use conference rankings. If someone had them sorted by performance vs Power 5 opponents that would be useful too. Overall performance brings lower level teams into play.

For instance, I'm sure App St plays very good D for their level of play... but I don't think they finish 11th in the nation if they were playing in a power 5 conference.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back