Interesting VT 2016 Preview

37-14 for us and I want it to be uglier than the score. Kind of like how VT did Tennessee in 2009.

He said that his crystal ball looks a little hazy? He is not going to be too happy when he sobers up.

Reactions: 1 person
Do not think their offense matches up well with our D. They still have a reasonable defense and special teams should carry over from Beamer Ball. Fairly close until the middle of the 3rd qtr. but UT pulls away 31-10.

Beamer Ball died in 2008. Their special teams haven't been good for a while.

Wth? Tennessee should be a double digit favorite IMO. VT was 7-6 with an ACC schedule last year....last 3 recruiting classes #49, #24, #25....new coaching staff....playing a top 10 team in Tennessee. Tiny edge my ass....38-13 Vols.

You under estimate our defense. We have "shut down" playmakers on all 3 levels. And back ups to boot, it's gonna be a special year.

Go Vols!

You under estimate our defense. We have "shut down" playmakers on all 3 levels. And back ups to boot, it's gonna be a special year.

Go Vols!

Predicting 13 points is "underestimating our defense"? Lol. You predicting a shutout?

VT is replacing their two best defensive players and their QB. Oh, and they have a new head coach. That one might get ugly.

I definitely don't think we win by more than 2 scores. Bud Foster isn't the best DC, but he's damn good. He'll gave a game plan ready for us. Also, any defense can give up a lot of points if they don't show up. I'm not saying they won't, but this will be a good game.

Think of it like our Florida games. No matter who is on the other side of the ball, it's going to be a good game. This will make or break both team's seasons.

Predicting 13 points is "underestimating our defense"? Lol. You predicting a shutout?

I would bet the under. I don't see a shoot out, I can see that we could put a major thumping on them and set the tone for the whole year. Expect to score in the 40's all year long. And the defense is on lock down all year. We start keeping track of of all the ways they score. 20-1 I say we block a kick and run it back for a TD. Any takers?

Lockdown will be their name.

Go Vols!

We went 2-4 against Power 5 bowl teams last year and struggled against the likes of SC. We may want to temper expectations just a bit.

We went 2-4 against Power 5 bowl teams last year and struggled against the likes of SC. We may want to temper expectations just a bit.

I think we will be 8% better than last year. And that will be enough to dominate all year.
5% better would have won us a NC last year.

It's gonna be a special year.

Go Vols!

I definitely don't think we win by more than 2 scores. Bud Foster isn't the best DC, but he's damn good. He'll gave a game plan ready for us. Also, any defense can give up a lot of points if they don't show up. I'm not saying they won't, but this will be a good game.

Think of it like our Florida games. No matter who is on the other side of the ball, it's going to be a good game. This will make or break both team's seasons.

Remind me again how well ol' Bud did against any teams with running QBs?

He's one of the most overrated DCs in the country.

I work for Virginia tech so this is 1 game I hope we hang 70 on an opponent. While I do think it will be closer than expected I still see a win.

Remind me again how well ol' Bud did against any teams with running QBs?

He's one of the most overrated DCs in the country.

Actually not bad. Last year they only lost once by more than two scores. That was to Ohio State and they beat OSU the year before when OSU won the Natty Champ.

The year before they only lost one game by more than two scores. He did that with those awesome recruits that VT pulls in every year. He can coach 'em up.

I'm not saying he's great...I'm saying he's more than capable. He's good.

I think we will be 8% better than last year. And that will be enough to dominate all year.
5% better would have won us a NC last year.

It's gonna be a special year.

Go Vols!

8%? Why 8%? How'd you come at that number and how do we measure it?

Last edited:
8%? Why 8%? How'd you come at that number and how do we measure it?

1% improvement for each month till game 1.

Use any metric to compare:
(Ty-Ly)/Ly •100

Ex. Player A rushed for 100 yards last year, the same player rushes for 108 yards this year. That would be an 8% improvement.

You'd better be careful.

Fuentes is NOT a coach to overlook. He will have that team rocking and rolling and his offense will be DYNAMIC.

VT has plenty of athletes.

I would not be surprised ONE BIT if VT beats us. Butch needs to prove he can win these games. One USC and ONE UGA win isn't a lot of evidence he can put a plan together for 4 quarters.

I would not be surprised ONE BIT if VT beats us. Butch needs to prove he can win these games. One USC and ONE UGA win isn't a lot of evidence he can put a plan together for 4 quarters.

Not sure what you mean by these games. We'll be a heavy favorite (10+) - Butch has certainly proved he can win those.

1% improvement for each month till game 1.

Use any metric to compare:
(Ty-Ly)/Ly •100

Ex. Player A rushed for 100 yards last year, the same player rushes for 108 yards this year. That would be an 8% improvement.

Thanks, now I have a math headache.

VN Store

Back