Injury Update Thread

Saw some injury news that neither Tuttle or Jason dressed? What gives?

Yep, heard the announcers say that about Tuttle. No indication before the game that I saw anywhere.

Did not hear them say any other name (did you mean Jashon Robertson?).

Both Wolfs and Jacob out. That is our three deep tight ends. I also heard the announcers say Tuttle was out. I've noticed Dormady limping in every game after a few hits.

Got them, 87&91, thanks. Will hold off on Dormady unless we hear more about it. He just looked to be favoring it a little. But yeah, we're devastated at TE and LB right now.

Anyone have facts on injuries to Robertson & Tuttle? Our O Line didn't play solid today & I wonder if Robertson not available for the game was a huge reason. A healthy Tuttle really helps our D Line tremendously.

Anyone have facts on injuries to Robertson & Tuttle? Our O Line didn't play solid today & I wonder if Robertson not available for the game was a huge reason. A healthy Tuttle really helps our D Line tremendously.

The coaches are not saying why they were withheld from today's game (Butch's words were "undisclosed injuries"), but Butch said he's confident they'll be back for UGa.

The conspiracy theorists will now guess that these are the other two one-game suspensions rumored during fall camp.

I would imagine we can assume Austin Smith is out for the year. This guy has been MIA for two years!

I've never seen anything like this in the 40 years that I've been a Vol fan. Either Coach 23 is the unluckiest SOB in college coaching or he's recruiting the biggest group of butterflies this conference has ever seen.

Reactions: 1 person
Hopefully Taylor and Phillips are ok? I don't recall either making a big play against UMass. Both should play against UGA, right?

Hopefully Taylor and Phillips are ok? I don't recall either making a big play against UMass. Both should play against UGA, right?

Haven't heard a thing about either being injured or out for any other reason.

Is Austin Smith ever going to play???? They keep saying he is and here comes game freakin 5 and still no Smith. GBO!!!!!!

Consistent injuries reflect poor strength and conditioning coaching. Thoughts?
Lastest available information:

The Good -- Back from Injury (2):
  • Jashon Robertson (OL, Sr) - expected to be back for UGa (undisclosed)
  • Shy Tuttle (DT, Jr) - expected to be back for UGa (undisclosed)

The Bad -- Questionable, Not Available, or Unknown (7):
  • Ethan Wolf (TE, Sr) - injured in UMass; unknown for UGa (arm)
  • Jakob Johnson (TE, Sr) - injured in UMass; unknown for UGa (leg)
  • Eli Wolf (TE, R-So) - unknown for UGa (sprained ankle)
  • Latrell Williams (WR, R-Fr) - unknown for UGa (undisclosed)
  • Kendal Vickers (DT, R-Sr) - injured in UMass; unknown for UGa (wrist or hand)
  • Austin Smith (LB/DL, R-So) - unknown for UGa (knee)
  • Evan Berry (KR+DB, Sr) - unknown for UGa (hamstring from 2016? new knee injury?)

The Ugly -- Long-Term Injuries (7):
  • Chance Hall (OL, Jr) - out for the season (knee)
  • K'Rojhn Calbert (OL, Fr) - out for the season (knee)
  • Jauan Jennings (WR, Jr) - out for the season (wrist)
  • Jacquez Jones (WR, Fr) - out for the season (knee)
  • Darrin Kirkland, Jr. (LB, Jr) - out for the season (knee)
  • Cortez McDowell (LB, Sr) - out indefinitely; could be back late in the season (wrist)
  • Todd Kelly, Jr (DB, Sr) - out indefinitely; "likely" for season (re-aggravated knee)

If you have new or better info, please post; will keep the OP as up to date as possible. Thanks!

StatFox link: http://www.statfox.com/cfb/injuries.asp

I would look for a different common thread: turf?, cleats?, technique?, practice methods?, etc. If it is S&C, maybe it's going to hard, not enough recovery, improper technique putting strain on ligaments. I don't think there's any way for us to know.

I've never seen anything like this in the 40 years that I've been a Vol fan. Either Coach 23 is the unluckiest SOB in college coaching or he's recruiting the biggest group of butterflies this conference has ever seen.

Also have to remember that this coach will suspend players and use injury as the reason. Did it with Hurd last year

I would look for a different common thread: turf?, cleats?, technique?, practice methods?, etc. If it is S&C, maybe it's going to hard, not enough recovery, improper technique putting strain on ligaments. I don't think there's any way for us to know.

I agree, JWat.

I've wished for a true analysis of injuries for two seasons now. Has to be done by someone who actually attends the practices (like all these media types who seem to have nothing better to do), or has inside sources, or ideally both.

Because that person would have to know the details and conditions surrounding how each player was injured. Well enough to pin down the proximate cause.

Need to be able to look for clusters of causes: string of knees injured doing a particular practice drill? Cleats causing multiple twisted ankles?

Last year, the upper body injury of choice seemed to be the shoulder; think we had 3 or 4. This year, it seems to be the wrist; 2 and counting.

In the lower body, it's always the knee or ankle.

But saying we've had X (4, 6, however many) knee injuries in one season is not enough info to reach any conclusions about causes. Need more analysis than that.

And that, we don't have. More's the pity.

Lacking it, there's no way to point the finger at S&C, or nutrition, or practice drills, or game habits, or anything else. It's simply a question mark.

VN Store

Back