Injury Update Thread

likely headed for surgery. not known how long he could be out

My thoughts preseason were all about the LBs.

I thought, if we lose a starting LB this year, we're going to have a really tough year - again.

Then we get news that Kirkland is out for the year before the season has even begun. Then we learn about Smith, who has a lingering injury and will be held out...

Now Cortez McDowell is likely out for surgery...

We are going to get walked all over in SEC play...

Yep. We apparently have no strength and conditioning coaches like the other SEC schools do.

Per Butch in today's press conference, Cortez McDowell is out for season, and Jauan Jennings is formally out for the season.

From Bob Shoop's comments after practice today:

Shoop said Tennessee is moving freshman Cheyenne Labruzza from cornerback to safety in the wake of Todd Kelly Jr.’s likely season-ending knee injury.

“He was playing on special teams already, so he’s a guy I thought might eventually transition to safety,” Shoop said. “If we get Evan Berry back, then the next man isn’t Cheyenne. Right now we’re deciding how we want to play it out with Maleik Gray, whether he will redshirt.”

As for Cortez McDowell’s season-ending wrist injury, and how the team will adjust with all three of its starting linebackers now out with injuries, Shoop covered the depth chart.

Daniel Bituli, Colton Jumper and Will Ignont will work at middle linebacker. Quart’e Sapp will be the weak-side linebacker with Elliott Berry and Dillon Bates behind him. Bituli and Bates will be at strong-side linebacker when the Vols go to their 4-3 alignment.

Credit to SEC Country-TENNESSEE for the info posted on Facebook

Reactions: 1 person
I just read that Todd Kelly Jr is out for a knee. Apparently it has been a problem for a while and surgery will knock him out for the season. I hate it for these guys, who work so hard to make it this far.

TK had a knee issue back in high school. Not sure if that was ever really cleaned up or if he's been playing with it all these years.

Injury Reports on Other Teams-A Little Perspective

http://www.statfox.com/cfb/injuries.asp

Check out LSU

I feel better, but not much.

It can be a bit misleading. Some teams provide the public a ton of information on their injuries, including the little dings that might make you questionable for the coming game. Other programs (like ours) are fairly tight-lipped about injuries.

LSU's report in your link is the former. More than a dozen of those lines are guys who are "? for Saturday" or even "expected back Saturday." So looks horrific at a glance, but only three players out long term, and only two of them definitely out for the season.

~ ~ ~​

Tennessee is toward the "worse" end of the spectrum when you look at serious, long term injuries. And this web site doesn't even list almost half of ours.

We know we have 7 players likely out for the entire year. This site only lists 4 of them as "out for season."

That inaccuracy is probably true for most teams on this site; it is not going to be up-to-date and accurate in many cases. Still, it is one of the few places where you can compare programs.

So using the site's data, how do the SEC programs compare on long-term ("out for season") injuries?
  • Tennessee - 4 out for season
  • Alabama - 3 out for season
  • Arkansas - 2 out for season
  • Auburn - 2 out for season
  • LSU - 2 out for season
  • Mizzou - 2 out for season
  • USCe - 2 out for season
  • Florida - 1 out for season
  • Kentucky - 1 out for season
  • Ole Miss - 1 out for season
  • Texas A&M - 1 out for season
  • Miss St - 1 out for season
  • Georgia - 0 out for season
  • Vandy - 0 out for season
And our 4 listed is not quite the worst in Division I (again, using this site's data across the board). Worst three seem to be:
  • Florida Atlantic - 5 out for season
  • Northwestern - 5 out for season
  • UTEP - 5 out for season
So if there's a consolation prize in all this, it's that we're not (per this site's data, though maybe in reality) the worst off in the country. Instead, we're tied for 4th-worst, with those three who are tied for 1st ahead of us.

Last edited:
Another aspect of all this is "re-injuries". I believe several of the UT injuries are recurring from high school or previous injuries. Then there is the nature of the game which is physical and violent. I do believe injuries factor into a team's success but, I don't believe you can eliminate injuries. I'm sure our change in S&C coach will help over time.

Another aspect of all this is "re-injuries". I believe several of the UT injuries are recurring from high school or previous injuries. Then there is the nature of the game which is physical and violent. I do believe injuries factor into a team's success but, I don't believe you can eliminate injuries. I'm sure our change in S&C coach will help over time.

This may speak to a problem within the medical staff at identifying, diagnosing and treating injury and recovery.
-TK2 injury was lingering
-Hall's injury was lingering and likely unsuccessful surgery.
-Sapp is still not ready.

I know there's at least another I'm forgetting

Good grief....now you are criticizing medical personnel. Anybody know anything that isn't fake news or they dreamed it while at Holiday Inn Express last night regarding the medical treatment afforded student athletes? I bet you could point to a lot of successful surgeries. I thought UT medical center was one of the best.

Good grief....now you are criticizing medical personnel. Anybody know anything that isn't fake news or they dreamed it while at Holiday Inn Express last night regarding the medical treatment afforded student athletes? I bet you could point to a lot of successful surgeries. I thought UT medical center was one of the best.

What part of maybe don't you understand Sir?

This may speak to a problem within the medical staff at identifying, diagnosing and treating injury and recovery.
-TK2 injury was lingering
-Hall's injury was lingering and likely unsuccessful surgery.
-Sapp is still not ready.

I know there's at least another I'm forgetting

Need to go back and watch the Florida game...Quart'e Sapp #14 played a lot in that game at LB

VN Store

Back