Info for Gameday Visitors to Knoxville

Hi,

We are a group of 3 people (1 guy, 2 girls) on holiday in the US from New Zealand. Managed to score 3 x tickets to this weekend's UT vs Auburn game and arriving in Knoxville Friday night. Can't wait for gameday (we think we understand the rules now!)

We've been reading up a lot on Vols traditions and gameday musts but want to know how easy it is to meet up with vols fans, drink with them, and ideally join an established tailgating party. Of course we would bring along beers/food etc and would DEFINITELY be wearing orange, but we are all looking for an authentic cultural experience and you can't beat being amongst the fans themselves.

Any tips on how to "be like a local" and how to join up with other fans would be much appreciated.

We hope there may be some kind souls amongst the Tennessee faithful who would take some "kiwi" newbies under their collective wing.

We've come from the other side of the world and are keen to make this a great weeekend!

Go vols!!

Cheers!

Sounds like you did your homework and you will have a great time. Don't worry about trying to be a "local". As long as you got your orange on, know Rocky Top, and aren't being jerks you'll be welcomed. Have fun, be safe, and...

GO VOLS !!!

Cheers Volgrad!

Just checked out some "Rocky Top" videos on youtube and think we should have it nailed by gameday! Either that or just hum loudly until the words "Rocky Top" crop up! Will probably head out for a beer Friday night to practice and to meet some of y'all!

most important thing to know about the US and a football town: do not reference soccer (futbol). we respect rugby, and make fun of soccer.

What time is Kickoff tomorrow??? I'm 8k miles away and can't find!@#$%^. Broadcast web page still says TBA!!!
Where do I go in the future (on the net) to find this info.???

Thanks
Homesick for the TN Hills!!

I have a feeling that Neyland tickets are going to get cheap...real quick. I was planning to go for the homecoming game in November, but I don't want to even bother anymore. Crompton is depressing to watch. This team is going 3-9. If we win 4 it will be a miracle. My tickets are going to E-bay. If I can get $20 for them, so be it. I am not wasting my time fighting traffic to watch the team I love get humiliated.

Anyone know of the names of the Hotels in the Turkey Creek area that have the shuttle services to the game for SAT?

I just booked my room for the Vandy game at the Holiday Inn Downtown. I'm bringing my brother to his first game and wanted to see what everyone thought is the #1 place to go for dinner on Friday night. He's not 21, so it would have to be a place that allows underage patrons :)

Thanks in advance guys!

When is Vol Walk for the South Carolina Game this weekend? Me and the family are coming up for the game this weekend!!! GO VOLS!!!!:rock::hi:

When is Vol Walk for the South Carolina Game this weekend? Me and the family are coming up for the game this weekend!!! GO VOLS!!!!:rock::hi:

I couldn't tell you an exact time but it's a few hours before the game. That's the obvious answer I know but if you and your family get out early before the game I'm sure you could ask around and if you're staying at a hotel someone there could tell you. Either way I'm sure you will get to see it, have fun and...

GO VOLS !!!

Long time reader first time post. . . My wife and I are taking the trip down this weekend and I have been taking in all of whta you guys have said so we can enjoy the weekend and we appreciate it, but one question. . .when tailgating in G10 do we need a parking pass? We were hopeing to grab lunch at Calhoun's and hang on the deck before heading over to tailgate at G10 by 3:45 is that possible for us? Thanks

Hello everyone. Great site! I just moved from Big 10 country to Nashville and thinking about making the drive to knoxville for the game tomorrow. Are tickets pretty easy to come by on the street before the game? I will be by myself so just need a single. Can you still have a pretty good time going by yourself? What time would you guys recommend getting into Knoxville to take in the festivities? Thanks!

Just found out we can't make the game today and have 2 tickets we will sale for face value ($50.00/ea) - Sec N, Row 29, seats 23 & 24. Great seats on the aisle on the last row of Sec N so there's nobody sitting behind you. If you're interesdted, email me at hornets63@comcast.net. Will meet to pick up.

hey guys i just want to thank all those who helped put this thread together. I went to our last home game last week with my dad and it helped out alot! we dont go to games that often (maybe one home game a year) and this gave us some good ideas for pre and post game activities. Props to those who pitched in and keep it coming!

SUGGESTION: add chandler's Deli to the list. awesome food and service. it was our first time there but we'll definitely be back we both loved it

I hate to dig up an old post, but I have a parking/tailgating question I'm hoping you guys can help with.

Long story short, there are about 12-15 of us 30-something guys coming to town for the Florida game on Sept. 18. We're Pac-10 guys, nobody's been to Knoxville before, so we're looking forward to some SEC football.

Anyway, we have rented a luxury bus to take us around. Something like this: Luxury Bus: Luxury Coach Rentals and Travel

We plan to have catered food, a full bar and cocktail waitresses, etc. for our tailgate, so we want to be right in the mix to share the love with the Vol faithful. Not to mention to enjoy the Vol coeds. ;-) Any tips on where to tailgate with a big ol' luxury bus?

H&E,

I would think that you all could find space around Fraternity row to set up a tailgate and get to see alot of the girls as they mill about.

Or if you are looking more for a bar scene tailgaiting area, there are tons of lots to park big RV's in right on the strip where all the bar action will be going on. Not as many students down there though.

H&E,

I would think that you all could find space around Fraternity row to set up a tailgate and get to see alot of the girls as they mill about.

Or if you are looking more for a bar scene tailgaiting area, there are tons of lots to park big RV's in right on the strip where all the bar action will be going on. Not as many students down there though.

Thanks Eric. Fraternity row no doubt has some spectacular scenery but I think we might end up feeling like the guys in Old School. You're my boy, Blue! :rock: We may have to hit the bar area.

I assume both of these spots are within walking distance of the stadium. Is it a first-come-first-served type of thing or are there ways to stake out a spot in advance? I can't imagine trying to squeeze in a bus if we get there late.

We're used to places like the Rose Bowl or Coliseum, where everybody pretty much parks around the stadium NFL-style and you can get parking space in advance, reserve spots for your RV or bus, etc. Maybe it's not like that out your way.

VN Store

Back