Info for Gameday Visitors to Knoxville

That's good that you have a bus but if you've got a bunch of Pac 10 guys that have never been to Knoxville on gameday, you probably should go to the strip pregame just because its a pure sight to behold. A Gus sandwich should be enough foo-foo food for a southern football game.
Another possiblility is to park at frat row with the bus and tailgate there after the game. That way you get the best of both worlds. Be sure to tell those boys to wear their walkin' shoes

That's good that you have a bus but if you've got a bunch of Pac 10 guys that have never been to Knoxville on gameday, you probably should go to the strip pregame just because its a pure sight to behold. A Gus sandwich should be enough foo-foo food for a southern football game.
Another possiblility is to park at frat row with the bus and tailgate there after the game. That way you get the best of both worlds. Be sure to tell those boys to wear their walkin' shoes

Thanks GH. We're looking forward to it. UT fans seemed like good peeps when they came out to play my Bears up in Berkeley awhile back.

It sounds like the strip is probably the way to go. We'll still get a smattering of sorority girls over there too, I'd imagine. :) Should we go park out there the night before to make sure we get a spot?

Also I heard Calhoun's is the place to grab a cocktail or three. Is that on the "strip"?

What about a good local restaurant that caters on gameday? We're going all out on this one.

I've been trying to get the lay of the land and it sounds like Calhoun's might be a good spot to park the bus. What say ye?

Our dilemma (besides being from CA and not knowing where the hell we are going) is that we want to stay with the bus (drinks and our own restroom!!) but we want to place the bus where the action is.

For many of us, this will be a once-in-a-lifetime gameday at UT and I don't want to spoil it since I am the designated parking planner. :eek:hmy: Any help would be appreciated!

parking an RV "where the action is" is going to be a tough challenge at UT if you dont have a parking pass. You have a great Idea and we have parked our RV many times right by the stadium, but we have a pass. You might want to change your gameplan a bit and park in a decently crowded area, if you could find something by the row, and then walk around for a little while just to see everything.

there's some places on the strip to park and RV but right off hand, I cant think of an exact place. I remember that the Shell station near old Ruby Tuesdays (I think its now Charley Peppers) had a bunch of RVs there. Now when they got there to get the spot? I dont have a clue. The good part is that if you find a place on the strip to park it, it solves your problems - near the 'action', can make your own drinks, restroom. Bad problem is that if you cant find a place, you might have to go a ways away to find a place for that monster.

Hello everyone.
A few friends and I are coming to UT for our annual college football trip. (UT vs. Oregon)
This thread in very informative, but I have a few questions about setting up a tailgate.
Would frat row be considered the younger, rowdier area and where is it located?(street name)
Does the strip have off-street parking and where is it located?(street name)
Can u set up tents and grills at these locations?
These are the two locations I've seen others mentioned, obviously there are others. Any suggestions?
I believe the Oregon game will have a 7pm start time, what time will we need to get down for a good spot?
I'd like to find an off street lot to park a vehicle and set up. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
especially the 2nd game of the year ...

I don't go to as many games as I used to, but there are lots/spaces on either side of cumberland ave where you can set up a tent/grill, especially up and down white avenue ... as utfantilidie says, get there on friday or early saturday ...

if you get there early enough, you can pay for a spot in parking lots closer to the Strip ...

you can't park RV's on Volunteer Blvd. anymore AFAIK, and I don't know of any places to set up what you're talking about over near frat row ...

I'm sure others can give you more details about spaces near the Strip ........

Last edited:
When you have a 105,000 plus fans on game day it's crowded. I'd advise you to come the day prior and set up early Saturday morning, early.

especially the 2nd game of the year ...

I don't go to as many games as I used to, but there are lots/spaces on either side of cumberland ave where you can set up a tent/grill, especially up and down white avenue ... as utfantilidie says, get there on friday or early saturday ...

if you get there early enough, you can pay for a spot in parking lots closer to the Strip ...

you can't park RV's on Volunteer Blvd. anymore AFAIK, and I don't know of any places to set up what you're talking about over near frat row ...

I'm sure others can give you more details about spaces near the Strip ........

Thanks for the tips.

»
Thanks for the tips.

Frat row is definitely the rowdiest place for tailgating and the most fun. Now that also depends on your age. With that being said, parking is extremely tight over there and I would venture to guess you would have to park on the street outside of the row
Posted via VolNation Mobile

»

Frat row is definitely the rowdiest place for tailgating and the most fun. Now that also depends on your age. With that being said, parking is extremely tight over there and I would venture to guess you would have to park on the street outside of the row
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Isn't there a park or open area near frat row to set up a grill and stuff? Someone asked in an earlier post, do people set up or park Friday night in areas, even though this will be a 7pm sat night game?
By the way.....Who-dey!

Isn't there a park or open area near frat row to set up a grill and stuff? Someone asked in an earlier post, do people set up or park Friday night in areas, even though this will be a 7pm sat night game?
By the way.....Who-dey!

IF you go park your car down on Frat row Friday night and leave it overnight with all of your tailgating supplies already in there, (beer iced down, meat in cooler, ect.)

Then you can just come down whenever on Saturday and set up shop.

I was in Lambda Chi and this is what my brother and I do every game. They don't tow or ticket in there on gamedays.

Stayed at the Four Points last season and was not pleased at all. Room service was an hour and a half late, tried to talk to the GM and he just blew me off, my key probably got deactivated 10 times during my 2 night stay (they blamed it on my phone), front desk actually got a little attitudish with me. Only real plus was housekeeping was great!!! Not the kind of service I expected for the price I paid!!!!! I am staying elsewhere for the Oregon game

Does anyone know the scoop on lot 14 for parking.
It looks like its near a baseball field and tennis courts according to the map.
I have the opportunity to purchase a pass.
Is it a grass lot?
What type of people tailgate there?(old folks or younger people.)
Is there a shuttle from that location, whats the walk like?

Stayed at the Four Points last season and was not pleased at all. Room service was an hour and a half late, tried to talk to the GM and he just blew me off, my key probably got deactivated 10 times during my 2 night stay (they blamed it on my phone), front desk actually got a little attitudish with me. Only real plus was housekeeping was great!!! Not the kind of service I expected for the price I paid!!!!! I am staying elsewhere for the Oregon game

That sucks to hear, never stayed there but will definitely try to avoid that place so thanks for the info.

As for the bold, my mind was in the gutter. I just hear David Spade from Tommy Boy. If you don't know what I'm talking about, look it up on youtube. :)

IF you go park your car down on Frat row Friday night and leave it overnight with all of your tailgating supplies already in there, (beer iced down, meat in cooler, ect.)

Then you can just come down whenever on Saturday and set up shop.

I was in Lambda Chi and this is what my brother and I do every game. They don't tow or ticket in there on gamedays.

Is there room over there to set up a grill or canopy?

Hey guys! Great info here! I'm coming up from SC for my first game this year!! I'm trying to figure out about parking. I read where the State Street Parking was free last year. Assuming it's free again this year, is it worth it to park there? Is there much to do on that side of town? I don't know Knoxville well, but when I've traveled through there before traffic has been terrible, and so I'm trying to avoid as much traffic as possible. Also, is there tailgating there? Thanks for the help! Can't wait to be immersed in that sea of orange!!! Go Vols!!!

Great thread ideal! It's been about 7 years since I've been to Knoxville and me and the wife are hoping to make it down for a game this season. This info will be great! Thxs gang!

Just a couple minutes ago I booked two rooms at the Holiday Inn on Henley street. I was surprised they had rooms.

VN Store

Back