In Responding To The So Called "NegaVols"...

Well that's all fine and good, but this same topic is made practically every day just by a different username. How many times can we possibly discuss the same topic?

Maybe I'll get some kind of all-time team thing going here to pass the time, but I doubt these threads stop.

I already started your thread. Go have at it.

I think the whole sitting on a 3 point lead was a terrible coaching job. Jones and Bajakian both seemed to think that was enough. Yes, there was some bad execution, but the gameplan was atrocious.

Where did your little Bobcats thing go?

I think the whole sitting on a 3 point lead was a terrible coaching job. Jones and Bajakian both seemed to think that was enough. Yes, there was some bad execution, but the gameplan was atrocious.

The idea behind sitting on the lead was, I would imagine anyway, the fact that our O was doing little to nothing. D was playing lights out and even when the O was set up in great field position, often failed to move the ball at all. Gotta play situational football sometimes.

Who seem to revel in human Big Orange misery may I make a few rather important points. It is the job of every head coach to prepare his team and have them ready to win each game. All any coach can do is put his team in the position to win be that strategy and practice game prep. At some point the players must execute and play a near flawless game in order to carry out the plan and win the game. Now let us examine the 2 games possibly 3 that these so called nega folk seem to be wallowing in misery over.

1. Georgia-if Worley doesn't spend most of the 3rd quarter sidelined we may have dominated said quarter and won. Nothing to be altered here. At this time of the season Justin was fairly healthy although this game pretty much sent him on the road to season ending injuries. In addition the Hurd fumble hurt but those are the breaks of the game. What could Butch have done differently here?

2. Florida- Once again team is prepared and D dominates. Justin has a bad game. Look I think the world of the kid and I don't think he lost the game for us...but he didn't do the things offensively to WIN the game. Once again Butch has us in position to win so what on earth could he possibly have done different?

3. Missouri- Gary Pinkel is a great coach...has been there 14 years and knows his kids. He had them prepared for what Josh could do to them...most great coaches do that...and in my mind Pinkel is a great coach. Malone's dropped pass/interception was huge here as if we score we are up in the 4th. Once again the breaks of the game...player error...human error. Even those here who say Butch won't take chances would have to be impressed with the fake field goal pass play for a TD. Butch rolled the dice...he did everything to win.

So my question is...and I am hoping for some logical responses...what could Butch have done?

Started Dobbs the entire season for one. And take more chances. I'm so sick of people mentioning the Fake FG. It worked. Which just goes to show taking chances can pay off bigtime. The problem is we needed way more of that. He let the clock run out to end the first half of that same game. We had great field position and had we used our time outs could have had almost 3 minutes. Pickle is a great coach and also had the courage to take the chances necessary to win in this league

Reactions: 3 people
The idea behind sitting on the lead was, I would imagine anyway, the fact that our O was doing little to nothing. D was playing lights out and even when the O was set up in great field position, often failed to move the ball at all. Gotta play situational football sometimes.

I get that, but a 3 point lead won't hold up against ANYONE, not even UTC or Austin Peay. The D played lights out, but the O coaches and players completely let them down. That's the equivalent to a pitcher giving up a solo home run in 3rd and no hitting the rest of the game and losing.

Well that's all fine and good, but this same topic is made practically every day just by a different username. How many times can we possibly discuss the same topic?

Maybe I'll get some kind of all-time team thing going here to pass the time, but I doubt these threads stop.

I think a thread like this has more validity than the constant moaning and groaning about Butch's contract vs performance and the thread below that examines how much will be owed him if we fire him...now bud I think THAT topic has been beaten to death don't you? I think he did everything possible to put us in a position to win games and get in a bowl. He will be a great coach and I have never seen the fire and passion he has from any past UT coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Only thing I might see coaching wise from the FL game was not adjusting defensively to a backup QB...everything else is either player error or lack of execution...and that isn't on Butch.

We're at our own 43 toward at the end of the 3rd qtr....it's 2nd and 5 after Jalen's 5 yd run on first down. Our defense is dominating the game and helping us protect a 9-0 lead. On 2nd down, we ran a slow developing pass play to the left side of the field and Worley was blind-sided and sacked from the right on a corner blitz by Tabor. Worley fumbled the ball which was recovered by Tabor at our 30, and the Gators scored 5 plays later. Completely changed the tone of the game.

Prior to that play, Florida had about 140 yards on their first 10-11 possessions, were completely feeble and simply were not gonna score on our defense unless we have to hem a short field, which that ill-advised playcall ultimately did. I think that was very poor game management and that Tennessee actually wins that game if we keep running the ball there (or run a more conservative pass play or screen) play field position and make Florida drive the 70-80 yards to score rather than 30, regardless who their QB was.

Last edited:
I get that, but a 3 point lead won't hold up against ANYONE, not even UTC or Austin Peay. The D played lights out, but the O coaches and players completely let them down. That's the equivalent to a pitcher giving up a solo home run in 3rd and no hitting the rest of the game and losing.

The faith in the o-line and offense in general was just too much weaker than the faith in the D at that point, I guess. The one halfway redeeming aspect that offense had going in to that game was Justin and he was playing maybe his worst game ever as a Vol.

And also to be fair, a mistake when we were trying to take a shot downfield(the strip sack) is what led to Florida's eventual comeback.

I dunno, I don't like sitting on a lead that small either, but when your O is playing that badly, I'm not sure you can risk making it any easier on the opposing O. Gotta figure out your odds, I guess.

I think a thread like this has more validity than the constant moaning and groaning about Butch's contract vs performance and the thread below that examines how much will be owed him if we fire him...now bud I think THAT topic has been beaten to death don't you? I think he did everything possible to put us in a position to win games and get in a bowl.

You have no arguments from me in regards to the fire Butch or how much we'd have to pay him threads. Those are done to death too.

Reactions: 1 person
In a round about way perhaps...but no one of the negas has definitively stated what Butch could have done in prep or in game strategy other than the usual argument..."He didn't start Dobbs"...not good enough for me.

The terms Nega and sunshine pumper are dumb, we're all fans and should get a special fan badge for going through the last 10 years and still being here.

The terms Nega and sunshine pumper are dumb, we're all fans and should get a special fan badge for going through the last 10 years and still being here.

Dammit. Will you please try to refrain posting crap that I can agree with? We're supposed to hate each other, or something. The whole "labeling" thing and trying categorize people pisses me off more than anything. So I need you to like it. To keep things copacetic I mean. :)

Reactions: 2 people
Dammit. Will you please try to refrain posting crap that I can agree with? We're supposed to hate each other, or something. The whole "labeling" thing and trying categorize people pisses me off more than anything. So I need you to like it. To keep things copacetic I mean. :)
Damn sunshine pumper

Absolutely! I swear though, after a game some people can't wait to start a thread blasting other Vol fans.

Reactions: 2 people
Absolutely! I swear though, after a game some people can't wait to start a thread blasting other Vol fans.

I see more of threads bashing the play on the field, the coaching, or other stuff with the team. It normally only gets to bashing other members when someone doesn't agree with someone else because they're either a Nega or a sunshine pumper. People should have the freedom to be disgusted with the situation of the program or be happy as **** with it.

VN Store

Back