IMO this will be Butch's last game

Your dreaming. The only way he gets fired mid-season is if an asst coach takes over.

Chip Kelly can do more harm than good in two weeks with a new scheme.

Best we could hope for is someone else to call the plays.

We need to start sending out feelers for Dan Mullen, Justin Fuentes, and other not too old coaches with a great track record. There are only a handful of them out there. Otherwise we have to take a chance on an OC or DC.

Lol we won't hire an OC or a DC.(unless you are talking about another team's OC/DC) This whole staff is laughable. Not one person will be retained. The new coach will bring an entirely new staff. We MIGHT keep Gillespie but I wouldn't force the new coach to do that.

well, I sure hope we show up and BEAT GEORGIA, but if we don't I still don't think Butch will be fired...just don't see it happening this year, and

GO VOLS...BEAT DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're expected to get spanked by Georgia, so losing won't get CBJ fired. Now if we lose to a SCAR, Mizzou or Vandy, then he can be ceremoniously fired on the spot.

We're expected to get spanked by Georgia, so losing won't get CBJ fired. Now if we lose to a SCAR, Mizzou or Vandy, then he can be ceremoniously fired on the spot.

Butch should be fired for the plain fact that we expect to get spanked by Georgia. This is year 2 for their coach. Why is he getting results?

Reactions: 1 person
Very unlikely he's fired during the season or at least not until a bowl game is out of reach.

Lol we won't hire an OC or a DC.(unless you are talking about another team's OC/DC) This whole staff is laughable. Not one person will be retained. The new coach will bring an entirely new staff. We MIGHT keep Gillespie but I wouldn't force the new coach to do that.

I think Gillespie is beast and warren has made progress however 4 years of martinez won't be fixed till next year that about it

Butch should be fired for the plain fact that we expect to get spanked by Georgia. This is year 2 for their coach. Why is he getting results?

Because he's a good (not great) coach who brought very good people with him rather than mid-major re-treads.

If Jones ends up getting fired... we will look back and see how fateful his choice was to bring that first staff and Lawson with him. They were never an SEC caliber staff. The shame is that the current staff probably is but can't carry the baggage Jones has.

Reactions: 2 people
I am hoping we have learned that waiting until the end of the season doesn't work.

you can't talk to coaching prospects until their season has finished so no advantage to doing it early. Back channel talks can begin today with Jones in place. There is just no advantage to making the move now or soon.

What you do is setup the interim for serious consideration. What if you make Shoop interim and he wins 6 of 8 games? you make head coach? See LSU..

There is just not a reason to make move in middle of the season..

Because he's a good (not great) coach who brought very good people with him rather than mid-major re-treads.

If Jones ends up getting fired... we will look back and see how fateful his choice was to bring that first staff and Lawson with him. They were never an SEC caliber staff. The shame is that the current staff probably is but can't carry the baggage Jones has.

Exactly. Isn't it time for us to have our good coach?

you can't talk to coaching prospects until their season has finished so no advantage to doing it early. Back channel talks can begin today with Jones in place. There is just no advantage to making the move now or soon.

What you do is setup the interim for serious consideration. What if you make Shoop interim and he wins 6 of 8 games? you make head coach? See LSU..

The coaches I want aren't coaching right now.

Reactions: 2 people

Can talk to Chip and Stoops now if they wanted

I don't think they want to repeat the whole Fulmer firing fiasco. Butch is safe till the end of the year. They could possibly do something with only a game or two to go if it looks like we might go 1-7 or worse in SEC play.

Your dreaming. The only way he gets fired mid-season is if an asst coach takes over.

Chip Kelly can do more harm than good in two weeks with a new scheme.

Best we could hope for is someone else to call the plays.

We need to start sending out feelers for Dan Mullen, Justin Fuentes, and other not too old coaches with a great track record. There are only a handful of them out there. Otherwise we have to take a chance on an OC or DC.

Justin Fuentes is not leaving Blacksburg for Knoxville. He is at a place that has slightly lower expectations than us and they showed their loyalty to Coach Beamer. Thats why Fuente accepted the job even with bigger openings than Virginia Tech interested. Here a couple 8-5s and he would have moving signs in the front yard.

Can talk to Chip and Stoops now if they wanted

not options.. people can continue to dream about those guys but it will not happen.. and even if options, Currie could have talked to both already this morning. He doesn't have to fire Jones to line either up. (as I read all second time, this is what you said. :)

Hamilton had Kiffin in his pocket before getting permission to fire Fulmer.

I don't think they want to repeat the whole Fulmer firing fiasco. Butch is safe till the end of the year. They could possibly do something with only a game or two to go if it looks like we might go 1-7 or worse in SEC play.

Too late. Signing date for most recruits is December this year.

You mean we shouldn't wait until end of the season when we have to compete with all the other programs and get into a bidding war?
And lose all of our recruits due to early signing period?

Blue

not options.. people can continue to dream about those guys but it will not happen.. and even if options, Currie could have talked to both already this morning. He doesn't have to fire Jones to line either up. (as I read all second time, this is what you said. :)

Hamilton had Kiffin in his pocket before getting permission to fire Fulmer.

Are you saying they aren't options because you assume it's too good to be true, or do you have other information?

Dooley didn't have December signing period either

Will boil down to if they have a guy on the hook who wants the job.

A guy not coaching currently or a Coordinator. If they want a current HC they may decide to wait. I don't see that happening though. Environment looks to be getting toxic. Empty seats and boos raining is probably not how new AD imagined his first season.
The last sentence is key. Those tickets are, for the most part, already sold, so you could argue the AD may not care. But a 10% drop in attendance does hit the city pretty hard, so he may get pressure from outside the university.

That Big name coach(won't happen btw) better win 10 games his first year or he is on the hot seat too.

Was Butch on the hot seat with 7 wins in year 2?

I don't think he really was until year 3 when we blew 3 double digit 4th quarter leads in the first half of the season. He earned his way off and then it came back last year after SC and Vandy.

As a fan base, i think we might he a little crazy, but we gave Butch a reasonable shot.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Butch pulled a miracle and the team comes out on fire, tbh.

Butch tries to motivate by talking about a long term process, with long term goals. Right now he needs to get his team to play this game likes its the NC game, and there are no more after it.

Watch his pregame speech against GT. I highly doubt he has that in him.

To be fair to Butch, you have to objectively answer the question "If Butch won every game after this one, would I keep him?"

And if the answer is no... Fire him, obviously. If it is yes, you have to keep him.

There is a fine line between having the outside perception that you expect to win, and the perception that you have an itchy trigger finger for firing coaches.

I guarantee Chip Kelly or whatever blue chip coach we interviewed would want to discuss that.

If you are a true Tennessee fan, you will root for our opponent every remaining game this year so that Lyle is replaced as soon as possible. Think about it...would you rather Dooley have won a couple more games in 2012 and gotten another year? Or looking back on it, are you glad we went 5-7 and moved on to a new coach? I like Jones personally and wish him the best going forward. But he has been well compensated and has simply reached his peak here.

Well you are not a true Tennessee fan that's for damn sure. You and Squib should hang out together and root for another team...

VN Store

Back