Imagine having DJ Burns in the mix with this team

Rockytop10nessee

i know someone will say, "well we wouldn't have had a scholarship for x player" but imagine we made the numbers work and had Jonas, Tobe, and DJ rotating. this is the first time in my life that i wish marijuana didn't exist lol

Reactions: Navy boy
A couple years ago I might have been on this train of thought.

But I just don’t see it being successful. They already have to sub him nonstop due to the shape he’s in. Play a team that runs and pushes tempo and he’s neutralized because he can’t stay on the court enough. Some exceptions of course.

If he was in reasonably good shape, his numbers would be way beyond what they are now and I think that’s what bothers me the most.

What folks seem to miss on Burns, is we would have to change our defense if he was playing for us. Our 5’s along with all our players are required to be able to guard on the perimeter and sometimes switch on picks. A guy like Burns isn’t physically capable of doing that which is a real shame since he has some legit skills in the post. What could have been if his fat arse would have just listened to Barnes and bought in.

What folks seem to miss on Burns, is we would have to change our defense if he was playing for us. Our 5’s along with all our players are required to be able to guard on the perimeter and sometimes switch on picks. A guy like Burns isn’t physically capable of doing that which is a real shame since he has some legit skills in the post. What could have been if his fat arse would have just listened to Barnes and bought in.

I was high (no pun intended) on DJ when he was here. The kid, like you said, has some really good post skills and moves.

When he was at Winthrop the year after he left here, they played ETSU in Johnson City so I went to watch. He hadn’t ballooned in size at that point and he was dominant in the paint in many ways, not just those that show up on a stat sheet- thought to myself that we really missed out.

Flash forward, I wish the kid well but realize he was never meant to be at UTK and was for the best for all parties involved. I think we can all see why it wasn’t going to work in Barnes system. But man, what might have been indeed.

Reactions: knox73
i know someone will say, "well we wouldn't have had a scholarship for x player" but imagine we made the numbers work and had Jonas, Tobe, and DJ rotating. this is the first time in my life that i wish marijuana didn't exist lol
He couldn't even hang with me in a doughnut eating contest. What makes you think he can play on the same team with the Great Dalton Knecht?

Reactions: tennrich1
He was here---he chose to leave---nuf said

Reactions: Element01
Barnes in an interview, on SportsAnimal, that our S&C coach has a pic of Burns, right before he left UT and just said, "he looks a lot different, now". He praised Burns' skills and talent, but kinda insinuated that in his current shape, he was too big.

CLEARLY…the current condition and stamina he possesses would NEVER play on this team. We want to run…not sure Burns could even walk at a fast pace. It’s actually hard for me to watch an athlete in that bad physical condition.

CLEARLY…the current condition and stamina he possesses would NEVER play on this team. We want to run…not sure Burns could even walk at a fast pace. It’s actually hard for me to watch an athlete in that bad physical condition.
If he were still here he’d be in better shape.

Imagine if Uros was back. There are games I would like to have him to rough up some of the inside bangers. Tobe does this pretty well but there are games old Uros could certainly help. Burns is fun to watch but I bet Oakland runs him out of the gym later today. It is his 7th game in 11 days.

Imagine if Uros was back. There are games I would like to have him to rough up some of the inside bangers. Tobe does this pretty well but there are games old Uros could certainly help. Burns is fun to watch but I bet Oakland runs him out of the gym later today. It is his 7th game in 11 days.
Uros was more of a liability than he was an asset to this team. Rough defense is one thing and physical defense is another. I don't think UROS ever got it.

Reactions: UTAlum93
I'll admit, I like watching Burns play. He is a bucket in the paint and is a great post passer as well. Too bad he didn't have the fortitude to play for Barnes and get in shape. Earlier in the year, he kinda had his way with our post players.

Reactions: HalfullVol

VN Store

Back