I'm warming up to the idea of bringing in Jeff Brohm

Exactly.

You would think after settling for Dooley & Butch, our fanbase would want to stop taking a chance on these gamble type hires.

Go get a proven winner now so we can start competing for SEC Titles instead of meaningless bowl games.

The "Fanbase" is not the problem. Those paying the bills and hiring the coaches are the problem.

Reactions: 1 person
While i think its an intriguing idea

Kelly was hit with a failure to monitor penalty and a show cause.
His record against the sec was 1-2 (maybe 2-2) cant remeber off the top, but his only wins are against awful Tennessee teams.

That is a very misleading stat. Due to the SEC and Pac12 not having a bowl partnership the teams hardly ever play. His 2 losses came against 2010 Auburn and 2011 LSU. Those two teams combined for a 27-1 record, AU won the natty and LSU lost it to Bama.

Can we just pump the brakes on stats?

Butch had the 26th ranked scoring offense in 2011 at Cincinnati (33.3 PPG)
Butch had the 39th ranked scoring offense in 2012 at Cincinnati (32.3 PPG)
Brohm has the 70th ranked scoring offense in 2017 at Purdue (29.6 PPG)

While he put up Top 10 scoring offenses at WKU, that's still in the C-USA.

This is not meant to defend Butch, because we're 98th right now in the NCAA in scoring offense. It's just meant to remind that there's more to this whole coaching thing than a few choice statistics.

This is not meant to defend Butch, because we're 98th right now in the NCAA in scoring offense. It's just meant to remind that there's more to this whole coaching thing than a few choice statistics.

I think 30 ppg at Purdue in his first year (again, they were 3-9 last year) is solid, considering they have played Louisville and Michigan.

So... you are saying the "valid" comparison is between what Brohm has done at Purdue with no talent playing in a P5 conference and what Jones did at Cincy playing a schedule where less than half the opponents finished with a winning record?

In the two years you mentioned, Jones' team scored over 30 points 4 times vs teams that finished with a winning record. His WHOLE RESUME was built on beating up on really bad teams. In Brohm's last year at WKU... they scored over 50 four times vs teams that finished with a winning record.

Purdue has 9 wins over the last 4 seasons. They've been no better than 9th in scoring in the Big10 over that time. They're currently 5th in the Big 10 in scoring... and still have NO TALENT.

Let’s Take a Look at Jeff Brohm’s Contract - Hammer and Rails

Based on this article, I don't think Brohm is an option. If we pay $14m to buy Butch & Co. out and then have to pay $5m to buy Brohm out (plus any assistants that he wants to bring). I don't think Tennessee is going to spend $20M plus the new coaches salary. In this scenario Chip Kelly might be cheaper than Brohm. I'm not a Kelly fan, but it seems crazy to spend that much money before the new coach starts day one.

So... you are saying the "valid" comparison is between what Brohm has done at Purdue with no talent playing in a P5 conference and what Jones did at Cincy playing a schedule where less than half the opponents finished with a winning record?

In the two years you mentioned, Jones' team scored over 30 points 4 times vs teams that finished with a winning record. His WHOLE RESUME was built on beating up on really bad teams. In Brohm's last year at WKU... they scored over 50 four times vs teams that finished with a winning record.

Purdue has 9 wins over the last 4 seasons. They've been no better than 9th in scoring in the Big10 over that time. They're currently 5th in the Big 10 in scoring... and still have NO TALENT.

The production with no talent at Purdue is an absolutely valid point.

I just was taking it a step further than looking at a few quarterback and rushing statistics and saying "HAIL BROHM OUR LORD AND OFFENSIVE SAVIOR" over 5 games in the Big 10 and three years in C-USA. I'm just simply saying we should see how the rest of this season goes for him, but I watched the Michigan/Purdue game (at least the 2nd half) and I absolutely agree the guy has some coaching talent.

However, my point is basically that IF we make a coaching change in this whole debacle this offseason, he is an upcoming name, but the upcoming name thing isn't going to be what this frenzied fanbase is going to want. Plus, should Petrino bolt from Louisville, Brohm will probably be their first call.

Let’s Take a Look at Jeff Brohm’s Contract - Hammer and Rails

Based on this article, I don't think Brohm is an option. If we pay $14m to buy Butch & Co. out and then have to pay $5m to buy Brohm out (plus any assistants that he wants to bring). I don't think Tennessee is going to spend $20M plus the new coaches salary. In this scenario Chip Kelly might be cheaper than Brohm. I'm not a Kelly fan, but it seems crazy to spend that much money before the new coach starts day one.

However, I feel confident that Butch will get snatched up by a smaller school, which would help alleviate his buyout.

With Kelly, I don't believe there is a buyout. However, he's guaranteed money for 2018 and 2019 by the 49ers - $6.5M per year. Would he rather continue to get paid that while not having to do anything? Also, obviously we don't know for sure what if any big schools will be open, but given Harbaugh's NFL to College going rate of $9M per year... I'm concerned Kelly will demand the same. And given the fact he's guaranteed money for the next too years, I could see him not entering the market until he's able to fetch top dollar. I have absolutely 0 confidence Tennessee would sniff that number even if they could.

My tinfoil hat is telling me that this is all a consipracy by the AD to get UT fans to accept whoever we hire at coach.

"I'd like to introduce to you the next head coach at the University of Tennessee...Jeff Brohm!"

"Well....it could've been worse. It could've been Cliff Kingsbury."

"Yeah...yeah! We're back again baby!"

interesting watching finebaum and rutledge today....brought up Kiffin as being a viable option to bring back to knoxville. said he would be contrite, admit he made a mistake leaving in the first place, and that he can coach offense and recruit. and his mission in life would be to beat Saban and Smart.

not saying i agree/disagree. just weird seeing it discussed, legitimately, on national tv.

The production with no talent at Purdue is an absolutely valid point.

I just was taking it a step further than looking at a few quarterback and rushing statistics and saying "HAIL BROHM OUR LORD AND OFFENSIVE SAVIOR" over 5 games in the Big 10 and three years in C-USA. I'm just simply saying we should see how the rest of this season goes for him, but I watched the Michigan/Purdue game (at least the 2nd half) and I absolutely agree the guy has some coaching talent.

However, my point is basically that IF we make a coaching change in this whole debacle this offseason, he is an upcoming name, but the upcoming name thing isn't going to be what this frenzied fanbase is going to want. Plus, should Petrino bolt from Louisville, Brohm will probably be their first call.

I think Brohm is a better choice than a lot of the "more proven" coaches. In part because of his resume... but more because of a very simple principle that Jones has failed on since arriving:

Great coaches, coach great. It doesn't matter what kind of talent they're working with, they get more out of it than the sum of its parts.

I have no use for Kiffin. But what Kiffin did to Meyer and Saban was masterful. His roster was ridiculously overmatched... and he figured out how to keep UT in those games with a chance to win late.

Petrino makes rosters better than they are. Fuente seems to have it.

Consider it this way. The disparity between Purdue and L'ville/Michigan is greater than the talent disparity between UT and UGA. Which coach got his team to compete... which coach folded?

If we can't get a big-name, proven coach, I think we will be fine with this guy. Won't inspire partying in the streets, but I feel the same way about Venables or even Frost.

If nothing Gruden or Kelly or big time name, Id be okay with this. Has Purdue playing good football. Purdue was one of the worst P5 schools prior to his arrival.

If he's willing to pull a Kiffin and leave Purdue after one season I'm not sure I want him. Clearly he would leave UT in a second if he got an offer he liked.

If he's willing to pull a Kiffin and leave Purdue after one season I'm not sure I want him. Clearly he would leave UT in a second if he got an offer he liked.

You just named every coach worth a dime that UT might consider. There is always something else that could entice a coach away. If you get a good one... you pay them and make the exit barrier as high as you can.

Hopefully Brohm would be smart enough to know that UT is a better location for recruiting and is likely to always have more resources than L'ville.

aside from Kelly, Stoops or Gruden, every other candidate is leaving some place else. that's not a reason NOT to hire someone.

Obviously, it'd be a challenge to convince him to leave Purdue after only 1 season but he's looking better and better as a head coach.

Saturday, he beat PJ Fleck decisively. In the season opener, he almost beat Petrino. He beat an SEC team 38-3. And he had Harbaugh on the ropes in the 4th quarter. This man knows how to coach...

And what's just as impressive, is his ability to get the most out of his quarterbacks. He's currently rolling with two QBs who have combined for 13 TDs to 6 INTs and a completion percentage of 62% (the leading passer is at 69%). What he was able to do with QBs Brandon Doughty and Mike White at WKU is simply remarkable... not to mention the 1600 yard rusher and TWO 1300 yard receivers he coached last year... The man has one of the best offensive minds in football.

People shouldn't just be warming up to the idea of him as HC. Flat out, he should be on the short list. He is one of the brightest young offensive minds in football. Hire a great DC who runs a basic, simplified system well, and surround him with elite recruiters. I'd keep Gillispie as a holdover, but that's about it.

The fact that Purdue turned down Butch Jones when he wanted to go there and then hired Jeff Brohm says a lot. Lolol.

Reactions: 2 people
People shouldn't just be warming up to the idea of him as HC. Flat out, he should be on the short list. He is one of the brightest young offensive minds in football. Hire a great DC who runs a basic, simplified system well, and surround him with elite recruiters. I'd keep Gillispie as a holdover, but that's about it.

I think there's a couple guys on this staff you could get away with keeping... Not that anyone should... Or would in favor of guys the new coach has on his staff already.

You just named every coach worth a dime that UT might consider. There is always something else that could entice a coach away. If you get a good one... you pay them and make the exit barrier as high as you can.

Hopefully Brohm would be smart enough to know that UT is a better location for recruiting and is likely to always have more resources than L'ville.

No, I described a handful of coaches in their first to third season at a power 5 school...it wouldn't really be ethical (imo) for them to pull a Kiffin and jump ship.

No, I described a handful of coaches in their first to third season at a power 5 school...it wouldn't really be ethical (imo) for them to pull a Kiffin and jump ship.

How is it unethical if he fulfills the terms of his contract?

VN Store

Back