I'm warming up to the idea of bringing in Jeff Brohm

While i think its an intriguing idea

Kelly was hit with a failure to monitor penalty and a show cause.
His record against the sec was 1-2 (maybe 2-2) cant remeber off the top, but his only wins are against awful Tennessee teams.

The SEC is incredibly weak.

The East is pathetic if you take out UGA.

Kelly would easily be the 2nd best coach in the SEC.

The recruiting would take care of itself.

Reactions: 2 people
Do we want a coach that would leave his gig after one year?

been there, done that. i think at least you could count on Currie not making the same epic mistake one of his predecessors did.

but really, if we hire Kelly, are we convinced he's not just a mercenary??

i don't think there's any guarantees unless you just hire someone that simply wants to be here, period. and i'm not sure that person exists....at least to the extent that he'd be the caliber of coach we want/need/expect.

all of these guys are looking for the next gig, and i don't think you can treat this as a search any other way.

it's a business, and you have to do what you have to do to protect yourself in these things.

and it's also assuming that the he's a home run hire as well....worthy of being poached w/in 3 years.

been there, done that. i think at least you could count on Currie not making the same epic mistake one of his predecessors did.

but really, if we hire Kelly, are we convinced he's not just a mercenary??

i don't think there's any guarantees unless you just hire someone that simply wants to be here, period. and i'm not sure that person exists....at least to the extent that he'd be the caliber of coach we want/need/expect.

all of these guys are looking for the next gig, and i don't think you can treat this as a search any other way.

it's a business, and you have to do what you have to do to protect yourself in these things.

and it's also assuming that the he's a home run hire as well....worthy of being poached w/in 3 years.

Hope they don't make the same mistake. This feels like a "Butch" hire to me. I in fact had to google the guy a couple weeks ago when his name came up...bad sign.

you still can't blame folks for the trepidation.

but i do a agree, the progression of steps he's taken is the right progression of steps compared to our last two guys... hard for me to say, still, that WKU, and 1 year at Purdue, makes him ready for what we all want the next guy to be here.

one thing Urban had was big time winning at Utah. Brohm has Purdue playing tough. he had WKU playing tough. he's yet to break thru, really.

but, that's where we are today. i don't know that the next "urban meyer" will be that easily identifiable.

There will be risks regardless of who is hired. Some folks think there are "sure bet" coaches out there. There aren't more than a handful and less than that are currently available.

The only "sure bets" are coaches who have succeeded at a high level at multiple stops. There could be others but I see Saban, Meyer, Petrino, and maybe Franklin. Petrino is the only one of those that UT has any real shot at getting... and he comes with character and NCAA baggage.

Some clamor for Chip Kelly but he took over a program that was 36-15 with two 10 win seasons in the 4 years prior to him taking over. Bellotti had built the program. Kelly had been the OC there for a couple of years.

His situation at UT would be different and there's just no way to say he's a "sure bet".

Louisville is dumpster fire right now and will be for the next several years. I don't think Brohm is ready to jump into that mess for the foreseeable future.

He went to school there and his family is from there.

Edit: He also inherited somewhat of a dumpster fire here at Purdue.

Last edited:
There will be risks regardless of who is hired. Some folks think there are "sure bet" coaches out there. There aren't more than a handful and less than that are currently available.

The only "sure bets" are coaches who have succeeded at a high level at multiple stops. There could be others but I see Saban, Meyer, Petrino, and maybe Franklin. Petrino is the only one of those that UT has any real shot at getting... and he comes with character and NCAA baggage.

Some clamor for Chip Kelly but he took over a program that was 36-15 with two 10 win seasons in the 4 years prior to him taking over. Bellotti had built the program. Kelly had been the OC there for a couple of years.

His situation at UT would be different and there's just no way to say he's a "sure bet".
agree. and as much as i am ready to get rid of butch, i'm not gonna lie, there's not really anyone on any list that i look at and say "oh yeah, that's the guy".

Reactions: 4 people
Right, but it will be tough to win there for a long time, unless he wants to be considered a savior.

I fully expect Petrino to leave after the season to avoid it as well.

Because Lamar Jackson will be gone? Or because of the basketball issues?

He is one of the few up and coming coaches that I could definitely get behind. Certainly does more with less. I think depth is an issue with Purdue atm....games were close until the end....maybe we can trade CBJ for CJB....

Lol bizarro world butch. I like it

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back