I'm warming up to the idea of bringing in Jeff Brohm

No thanks. Plenty of Big Fish still on the board. Why on earth would anyone want to take a chance on another "up and comer?"

Dooley and Butch were "up and comers."

Reactions: 4 people
No. I want a proven winner now!

STOP SETTLING for up & comers.

He isn't an "up & comer". He's got two championships under his belt in three seasons as a head coach and he's gone toe-to-toe with 2 of the best coaches in college football this season.

He's got PURDUE... I repeat, PURDUE competing at a high level. He has arrived.

Reactions: 9 people
No thanks. Plenty of Big Fish still on the board. Why on earth would anyone want to take a chance on another "up and comer?"

So was Kirby Smart. Georgia was the guy's first head coaching job, and lots of non-Georgia fans had doubts about him, including myself (Saban is the one truly running Alabama's defense, he's just the button pusher, etc.). It looks like he's going to be a great coach and is already recruiting the daylights out of his state.

Reactions: 1 person
2 Good seasons (at WK) is not NEAR enough to want him at Tennessee.

aim higher people

He's a name on a list of names. There's more to it than just those two years. He has been a successful coordinator at a P-5 school. Something neither Jones nor Dooley had done. His two primary career influences are Schnellenberger and Petrino. That's a better pedigree than Dooley or Jones.

Brohm is a different kind of "up and comer"... the Urban Meyer @ Bowling Green variety.

Reactions: 3 people
Aren't most coaches former players? Not counting the trumpet player we have on the sideline of course.

Hey hey....now
Butchs bio says he was a two year trumpe...I mean football letterman at Ferris State in Michigan.
And, if you know that program and conference....you either have absolutely no life .....or you know what a pressure cooker it is with all of the fan and media interest at Ferris.
Bueller? Bueller?
That’s where Butch developed his thick skin.

Reactions: 2 people
What if he wins 8 games in his first season at Purdue? They were 3-9 last year. In my opinion, it would be stupid to ignore that.

No it would not be stupid to ignore that.

Right now Tennessee needs a proven winner.....after that they need to best option available, and he is not it. Sure he is good, but even if he won 8 games he is a huge unknown (as far as what you will get at a power school). Tennessee has been coach suffering for many years. One way to keep that going is to fire the coach and hire another gamble.

Reactions: 3 people
So was Kirby Smart. Georgia was the guy's first head coaching job, and lots of non-Georgia fans had doubts about him, including myself (Saban is the one truly running Alabama's defense, he's just the button pusher, etc.). It looks like he's going to be a great coach and is already recruiting the daylights out of his state.

Gene Chizik won a national title in year 2. now he's on TV telling Dari Nokah what a zone blitz is.

i think Kirby is doing a good job. and with the talent available in state, there's not a lot of reason to think they aren't on a good trajectory.

but it is year two, this is an inherited team for the most part.

just like most coaches, you'll know the deal on him one way or the other in a couple more years.

they're ranked 4th right now. they're a couple losses away from being right where Mark Richt had them. and they still have FL, GT and Auburn to play, and BAma assuming they get to ATL.

i think most expect at this point that GA SHOULD win out until they get to ATL. we'll see how it goes should they drop a game.

(personally, i think they only game they have a shot at losing is Auburn...they should run the rest of the schedule)

Reactions: 1 person
Chip Kelly.

Why?

1. Proven winner at a high level
2. No buyout
3. Wants to coach again.
4. We have players on our roster that fits Kelly's style of offense.

To me, this is a no brainer.

I agree and Kelly is at the top of my list, but I'm not convinced that the FBI/NCAA stuff won't be too big of a hurdle.

Because of that, UTAD must have fallback options.

Just wondering. Does anybody think that coach Fulmer could come back and be successful again? I have no clue but what do you guys think?

No it would not be stupid to ignore that.

Right now Tennessee needs a proven winner.....after that they need to best option available, and he is not it. Sure he is good, but even if he won 8 games he is a huge unknown (as far as what you will get at a power school). Tennessee has been coach suffering for many years. One way to keep that going is to fire the coach and hire another gamble.

Exactly.

You would think after settling for Dooley & Butch, our fanbase would want to stop taking a chance on these gamble type hires.

Go get a proven winner now so we can start competing for SEC Titles instead of meaningless bowl games.

Well they weren’t wrong

No, but where did it get us? Here we are a few years later wanting to fire the guy who was simply "better than who we have now."

If Brohm was hired and fired within 3-4 years, I can hear the talking points now, and they're really not much different than what people say about Butch. "When you hire the guy from a Conference USA school and a bad Big 10 school, what do you expect," "doesn't have the best staff because his brother is OC," etc.

We are going to have to settle for someone who will be labeled by the fanbase as an up-and-comer. Chip Kelly, Gruden, Stoops, et al are not coming here. I don't think a highly thought of assistant like Brent Venables is going to come here either. I think he's on record as saying he likes being a DC and I think we need a guy with HC experience.

We might have to. Other big schools have hired coaches with no head coaching experience lately, or were a head coach at a school viewed as a small time school: Kirby Smart, Lincoln Riley, James Franklin come to mind.

Dabo Swinney, Fuente, David Shaw, Clay Helton,...

Gus Malzahn went from being a HS coach in 2005 to OC at Arkansas in 2006 to OC at Tulsa 2007-2008 to Auburn OC 2009-2011 to Ark St HC in 2012 to Auburn HC in 2013.

UT needs to hire the right guy with elite talent. A "proven winner" limits your choices to maybe 2 or 3 guys.... and NOTHING guarantees they'll recreate their success unless they're like Saban, Meyer, or Petrino and have already done it at multiple programs.

He's quickly proving he can play with the big boys (and beat them in the case of last week's game). Little bit different than Butch, who we creamed while he was at Cincy.

That being said, if you asked any Purdue fan up here (I live in Lafayette), they'll say he has completely transformed the culture and the team, and they've only played 5 games.

Purdue will pay for him to stay after this year if he starts to garner too much interest from the outside, so his price will go up. Let me say, he's turned things around up here, and with Tiller dying recently and reminding this administration and fans of what they had when he was here, they're not letting go of Brohm if they can do anything about it. They suffered too long.

Chip Kelly.

Why?

1. Proven winner at a high level
2. No buyout
3. Wants to coach again.
4. We have players on our roster that fits Kelly's style of offense.

To me, this is a no brainer.

While i think its an intriguing idea

Kelly was hit with a failure to monitor penalty and a show cause.
His record against the sec was 1-2 (maybe 2-2) cant remeber off the top, but his only wins are against awful Tennessee teams.

He's a name on a list of names. There's more to it than just those two years. He has been a successful coordinator at a P-5 school. Something neither Jones nor Dooley had done. His two primary career influences are Schnellenberger and Petrino. That's a better pedigree than Dooley or Jones.

Brohm is a different kind of "up and comer"... the Urban Meyer @ Bowling Green variety.

you still can't blame folks for the trepidation.

but i do a agree, the progression of steps he's taken is the right progression of steps compared to our last two guys... hard for me to say, still, that WKU, and 1 year at Purdue, makes him ready for what we all want the next guy to be here.

one thing Urban had was big time winning at Utah. Brohm has Purdue playing tough. he had WKU playing tough. he's yet to break thru, really.

but, that's where we are today. i don't know that the next "urban meyer" will be that easily identifiable.

If it came down to Brohm.........I would be all about the swap. Purdue should be about the pinnacle of Butch Jones anyway, or so it seems.

Many Purdue fans that I've talked to consider themselves lucky that they didn't end up with him in 2012/2016. So I doubt it.

VN Store

Back