If holly really love lady vols she need to step down!!

I personally think we have several players that are way overrated considering their actual ability. Nared is very slow and stiff looking when dribbling. Ball is easily stolen from her. Diamond is a very inconsistent shooter. Reynolds is not a point guard but she has to play there this season. Middleton can't guard anybody.

I will say I think some of this is having confidence in your teammates and in your gameplan. I think some of these things are mental as much as they are physical.

No one could guard number 12 and Holly's choice Middleton got humiliated by that player. So we went with Jackson and she blows by her for two or three layups. Reynolds did the best job on her but she is just to slow footed to keep her out of the lane.

Reactions: 1 person
Guys - Holly just landed her best recruiting class ever. Depending on who you ask, it's 4 kids who are in the top 15 including at least 2 in the top 10. For all her talent, I don't think Diamond is good for this team. There. I said it. She's a drag on the team in attitude and effort in my opinion. Let's evaluate the team once she's gone and the staff gets to work with the kids coming back and the quartet coming in...

The offense was horrible BEFORE DD got here...

Reactions: 8 people
I think we can take Tennessee State may be close but I'm going with Tennessee in that one.

I would tell fans if they really love the Lady Vols stop going to games, and stop making donations. Holly is too stubborn and ignorant to realize how over her head she is....

Reactions: 5 people
Yes because a few players don't care and have no passion for the game. If Holly had more than 8 bodies, I'd bench a few myself.

If those players aren't coachable you have to cut your losses and not let them corrupt the others, I understand we have low numbers this season but why let 1 or 2 players destroy a whole team?

Reactions: 2 people
I know its only a cliché from a sports movie (Remember the Titans) but "attitude reflects leadership." If players are giddy about mistakes, it must be that they know the bench is short and the coach won't take any disciplinary action because of said short bench or the coach is worried about angering the MAA's. Maybe the coach has lost the confidence of this team? Just asking, not saying that is the case.

I know Holly will be trashed, BUT to me THIS loss is solely on the players.

Some of us, including me, have been throwing players under the bus for four years, when does bad coaching come into play? After watching the two losses I would say whatever Holly is doing is not working or she has lost control of the team. With the talent we have, the LV's should have beaten both PSU and VT. Good coaches accept the blame, identify mistakes and make every effort to improve bad team and/or player performance.

Reactions: 5 people
Holly did recruit a great class and next year it is put up or shut up for this coaching staff. I don't care if they are freshmen most of them are more skilled than most of the players on this years team. I don't think Holly keeps getting a pass she either has to get these players in sync and playing like a team or get some walk-ons who want to play and let them watch from the bench. Holly is responsible for getting this team to play basketball if they don't like her system they should quit the team. If they don't want to play with effort Holly should not allow them to play. This has gotten old losses to Va Tech twice, Penn State, Alabama, Chattanooga, etc no longer need excuses need answers and Holly is supposed to make it happen what she is getting paid to do.

Reactions: 3 people
If those players aren't coachable you have to cut your losses and not let them corrupt the others, I understand we have low numbers this season but why let 1 or 2 players destroy a whole team?

You can't play a season with 6 players, but I am tempted to try. As I said I won't mention names, but lets just say I would love to see some tough love

You can't play a season with 6 players, but I am tempted to try. As I said I won't mention names, but lets just say I would love to see some tough love

Go to the vollyball, softball, and track and field teams and see who played in high school and tell them come to the next practice, that would be a start, there are plenty of players who have been kicked off teams for conduct detrimental to the team, if they can't be coached, let them go

Holly did recruit a great class and next year it is put up or shut up for this coaching staff. I don't care if they are freshmen most of them are more skilled than most of the players on this years team. I don't think Holly keeps getting a pass she either has to get these players in sync and playing like a team or get some walk-ons who want to play and let them watch from the bench. Holly is responsible for getting this team to play basketball if they don't like her system they should quit the team. If they don't want to play with effort Holly should not allow them to play. This has gotten old losses to Va Tech twice, Penn State, Alabama, Chattanooga, etc no longer need excuses need answers and Holly is supposed to make it happen what she is getting paid to do.

I agree but 8 healthy bodies ties her hand a lot. Put it this way, if Cooper and Green were healthy, I think you'd see a different team, and some players would be benched.

And if it doesn't turn around, I'm sure there will be those who are quick to place the blame on the freshmen being overrated.

Maybe Holly will be lucky and they will all come in at first team all-American level so she doesn't have to actually coach them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Some of us, including me, have been throwing players under the bus for four years, when does bad coaching come into play? After watching the two losses I would say whatever Holly is doing is not working or she has lost control of the team. With the talent we have, the LV's should have beaten both PSU and VT. Good coaches accept the blame, identify mistakes and make every effort to improve bad team and/or player performance.

No matter how far the Lady Vols sink under Holly's watch, there are a few in the Holly cult who will continue to vehemently deny any responsibility on her part. The Lady Vols could be 0-30 and it would still be everyone else's fault. Just accept a few on here don't live in the same reality as everyone else...

I thought last season was Holly's put up or shut up? I keep losing track...

One thing is for certain we aren't going to win with these players or this system or whatever is wrong. Personally I think we have assembled a group of the most inconsistent shooters of all time and none have enough foot speed other than maybe Diamond to guard a medium quick player.
22 turnovers today and most were just really stupid mental mistakes. These mistakes never get corrected. They exist every game along with inconsistent shooting.

And you don't think Holly had a good gameplan today? VT shot 10% from 3 they normally make 7 a game. If certain players weren't sloppy or didn't miss layups, TN wins

While I agree the players were just awful, the head coach is the one that is held accountable. If Holly can't get these AA's to play together, what do you do ? You can't release the players from their scholarships.
Chris, I know you'll give me a straight answer on this. If we had a top notch coach, do you think the team would be performing this poorly ?
I'm not Chris but I'll take a stab at it...

For all her talent, Diamond is a bit of a head case. Her effort is sporadic, she pouts and sulks if teammates don't get the ball to her, and I don't think her style is conducive to team play.

Having said that, even under Pat, our offense was designed around volume shooting, missing many shots, and cleaning up the O-boards. We've rarely run any kind of offense that creates open shots for post players. And our ball movement is non existent much of the time.

IF we were to have a new coach with these kids (someone as demanding as Geno, Dawn, Muffett, etc), the kids who don't give 100% all the time would ride the pine. Teaching would indeed commence, but I suspect a few players would chafe at what is required by a truly demanding head coach.

My point is that I do believe a new coach could "teach" better offense, but one (or more) of our better players would need to either step up, or step out.

And you don't think Holly had a good gameplan today? VT shot 10% from 3 they normally make 7 a game. If certain players weren't sloppy orf didn't miss layups, TN wins

VT missed plenty of chippies and FTs of their own, and it wasn't necessarily because of outstanding defense any more than when Tennessee was also missing gimmes. Same with the open 3s VT got, but missed.

As others have posted, this team plays like individuals, not as a cohesive unit. Passing, player movement without the ball, help defense...it looks like a pickup game.

No matter how far the Lady Vols sink under Holly's watch, there are a few in the Holly cult who will continue to vehemently deny any responsibility on her part. The Lady Vols could be 0-30 and it would still be everyone else's fault. Just accept a few on here don't live in the same reality as everyone else...

DV, it doesn't really matter whose "fault" it is. The head coach is the person who is held accountable for the team's performance. If they aren't playing up to their capabilities, it's the coach's job to see that they do. If the coach can't get them up to speed, then it's the coach who takes the fall.
I don't think Holly is going anywhere soon. She has a great class coming in and since she may well start 4 frosh,
I think she will get leeway through next year. 2018-2019 would be the year she would have to up the results.
I need a drink.

It's much easier for a coach to crack the whip and demand execution from the very start...something Holly has been unable to do. When you go easy and soft on players and later try to exert a firm, disciplined approach, the task is much harder

IF we were to have a new coach with these kids (someone as demanding as Geno, Dawn, Muffett, etc), the kids who don't give 100% all the time would ride the pine. Teaching would indeed commence, but I suspect a few players would chafe at what is required by a truly demanding head coach.

My point is that I do believe a new coach could "teach" better offense, but one (or more) of our better players would need to either step up, or step out.

Don't know of you watched the SC game where they dismantled Louisville, but the Gamecocks offense looks really crisp now. Lots of movement and crisp passing without unnecessary dribbling. They are definitely seeing improvement with the hiring of Melanie Balcomb. If Tennessee is going to be stuck with Holly, she needs to create a role similar to the one Melanie has to rework her stale offensive scheme. And hire someone to do the same for defense whilw she's at it.

It's much easier for a coach to crack the whip and demand execution from the very start...something Holly has been unable to do. When you go easy and soft on players and later try to exert a firm, disciplined approach, the task is much harder

Untrue Holly benched Burdick. Graves, Jones, Carter, and DD since she has been there. With 8 healthy players, Warlick has no depth to bench people. Although I might anyway to prove a point.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back