I Remember.......

I remember pulling cokes to see who would pay. Getting 3 cents each for returning coke bottles to the store. Riding your bike for miles away from the house and never worrying about someone trying to kidnap you. The only person stopping was a neighbor or friends' parent offering a ride home.

When we first started picking up "pop" bottles, we got two cents. I'm sorry to say we often bought a pack of cigarettes with ten bottles- 20 cents a pack.

I remember the first TV in our neighborhood - two channels, about a ten inch black & white screen with a really crappy picture. We tried to finagle visits to watch it, we thought it was wonderful, no one knew it was a crappy picture. Then we got one, cabinet about four feet wide with a record player and that little 10 inch screen. Now we had company over to watch TV.

I remember our first new car, a two-tone brown & white '55 Ford bought from Tennessee Ernie Ford's brother, Fred. That's when Ernie had his TV show that was sponsored by Ford Mtr. Co. Part of the deal gave Fred a dealership in Blountville. I remember watching Ernie on "I Love Lucy", The Honey Mooners", Hit Parade, Show of Shows, Cas Walker Show, Farm & Funtime, later Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel and Ed Sullivan.

Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs lived in a trailer next to the house we lived in. Mom says Lester often kidded her about being too young to have kids. They had an old car my dad worked on at the gas station he and later I worked at. He fixed Lester's flats. They strapped a big bass fiddle on the roof. They performed on a local radio program with The Carter Family, The Stonemans, and several local groups. For those who do not know, the first Country music recordings were made in Bristol with Jimmy Rogers, The Carter Family and the Stoneman Family. I am in a group that plays every Monday at a coffee house directly across the street from where the recording sessions were held..

Just chiming in, Encore Westerns is going to have a Wagon Train marathon over new year's, I'm psyched about it, personally.

Just chiming in, Encore Westerns is going to have a Wagon Train marathon over new year's, I'm psyched about it, personally.

I loved that show. Only thing was it was on for several years, and those poor pioneers never did make it to California did they?

I reckon they didn't. But IMO, modern TV shows are hamstrung by a desire for a beginning and an ending, as opposed to just random what have you week to week.

When we first started picking up "pop" bottles, we got two cents. I'm sorry to say we often bought a pack of cigarettes with ten bottles- 20 cents a pack.

I remember the first TV in our neighborhood - two channels, about a ten inch black & white screen with a really crappy picture. We tried to finagle visits to watch it, we thought it was wonderful, no one knew it was a crappy picture. Then we got one, cabinet about four feet wide with a record player and that little 10 inch screen. Now we had company over to watch TV.

I remember our first new car, a two-tone brown & white '55 Ford bought from Tennessee Ernie Ford's brother, Fred. That's when Ernie had his TV show that was sponsored by Ford Mtr. Co. Part of the deal gave Fred a dealership in Blountville. I remember watching Ernie on "I Love Lucy", The Honey Mooners", Hit Parade, Show of Shows, Cas Walker Show, Farm & Funtime, later Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel and Ed Sullivan.

Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs lived in a trailer next to the house we lived in. Mom says Lester often kidded her about being too young to have kids. They had an old car my dad worked on at the gas station he and later I worked at. He fixed Lester's flats. They strapped a big bass fiddle on the roof. They performed on a local radio program with The Carter Family, The Stonemans, and several local groups. For those who do not know, the first Country music recordings were made in Bristol with Jimmy Rogers, The Carter Family and the Stoneman Family. I am in a group that plays every Monday at a coffee house directly across the street from where the recording sessions were held..
I never knew Flatt & Scruggs were gay lovers. I always loved seeing them on the Beverly Hillbillies.

Until someone recovers footage of a sex tape between them and a woman, I'll assume your insinuation is true.

I don't think so, they both got married and had children. They lived there temporarily while they were on the radio show. It was a matter of economics. Lester definitely liked to flirt with the ladies.

Westerns? I remember sitting in front of the old b/w TV and watching Bonanza with my Dad. The episode about Hoss and the Leperchans came on and my Mom and Dad laughed the whole show. So I did, too.

And when the one came on where Hoss was dressed up as the Easter Bunny, and our whole family joined in on the laughing.

No more days like that, no more TV show like that. Only memories remain.

I remember being 10 years old and able to walk in to a small corner store in Folly Beach, SC and being able to buy my Mom cigarettes and beer.

I remember being able to ride my bike on neighborhood streets and not have to wear any type of protective gear (with the scars to prove it).

...when GI Joe had as many clothing options as Barbie

...watching the very first episode of "Dukes of Hazzard"

...a musical era completely devoid of rap/hip hop

Reactions: 1 person
5 cent Cokes from a vending machine. We used to make badges with the caps. The caps had cork on the inside. You would separate the cork from the cap, place the cork on the inside of your shirt and press the cap over it from the outside of your shirt.

Memories, anyone?

wow , you must be pretty old. Pretty sure cork doesn't even exist anymore.

VN Store

Back