I Remember.......

I remember Amos and Andy and that they had to lose their jobs because the NAACP said they were hurting the image of their race. I remember Mr. Ed. I remember Have Gun Will Travel. I remember Dick Butkus, Ray Nitchke, Paul Horning, Bart Starr, Jim Taylor, Johnny Unitas and all of those football heroes. I remember Mickey Mantle, Bob Gibson, Willie Mays, and running home from school to watch the World Series because they played during the day. I remember being able to roam the neighborhood at will because it wasn't considered dangerous but my grandson can't because my wife is scared some perverted freak will abduct him (which could certainly happen, although he is 14 and six feet tall and 200 pounds). Of course there are other kids not so big at an early age.

I remember Amos and Andy and that they had to lose their jobs because the NAACP said they were hurting the image of their race. I remember Mr. Ed. I remember Have Gun Will Travel. I remember Dick Butkus, Ray Nitchke, Paul Horning, Bart Starr, Jim Taylor, Johnny Unitas and all of those football heroes. I remember Mickey Mantle, Bob Gibson, Willie Mays, and running home from school to watch the World Series because they played during the day. I remember being able to roam the neighborhood at will because it wasn't considered dangerous but my grandson can't because my wife is scared some perverted freak will abduct him (which could certainly happen, although he is 14 and six feet tall and 200 pounds). Of course there are other kids not so big at an early age.
Our eighth grade teacher was a baseball nut. So, we would listen to the games during his class if it was an early game.

I remember 5 cent cokes in the small bottle, 5 cent candy bars and gum machines for a penny along with all kinds of penny candy. Gasoline was 20.9 for high test, and I could take a date to dinner and a movie for less than $5. On the other side, I worked in a gas station all through school for an average of about $1.50/hour.

We hand washed a car, cleaned the interior and glass, dressed the tires and floor mats for $2. A lube job was $1.50 and included checking all fluids, adding gear oil and checking tire air pressure.

Every gas customer got their windshield washed and were offered to check under the hood. Self service was nonexistent. For lunch across the street was a diner where a good hamburger was 25 cents and hot dogs were a dime.

When I was just a young kid, we would walk to town to the Paramount Theater (about 3 miles) and watch cartoons and serials all morning for 25 cents, or free sometimes if you brought a proof of purchase of the sponsor's product. Foremost milk carton logo, Hect's bread or cakes. Little Miss Sunbeam would give you a small cake if it were your birthday.

I remember 5 cent cokes in the small bottle, 5 cent candy bars and gum machines for a penny along with all kinds of penny candy. Gasoline was 20.9 for high test, and I could take a date to dinner and a movie for less than $5. On the other side, I worked in a gas station all through school for an average of about $1.50/hour.

We hand washed a car, cleaned the interior and glass, dressed the tires and floor mats for $2. A lube job was $1.50 and included checking all fluids, adding gear oil and checking tire air pressure.

Every gas customer got their windshield washed and were offered to check under the hood. Self service was nonexistent. For lunch across the street was a diner where a good hamburger was 25 cents and hot dogs were a dime.

When I was just a young kid, we would walk to town to the Paramount Theater (about 3 miles) and watch cartoons and serials all morning for 25 cents, or free sometimes if you brought a proof of purchase of the sponsor's product. Foremost milk carton logo, Hect's bread or cakes. Little Miss Sunbeam would give you a small cake if it were your birthday.
I worked in one for a short time. I loved it. Got to see all the hot rods and others. That's when free service was free service. Miss the old air line that ran across the drive to sound a bell when a customer drove in.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I worked in one for a short time. I loved it. Got to see all the hot rods and others. That's when free service was free service. Miss the old air line that ran across the drive to sound a bell when a customer drove in.

Yes we had the air hose too. And there was an air outlet at each pump island to enable adding air to any gas customer's tires. We sold tires, batteries, and all kinds of Gulf chemicals, some nonautomotive.

Yes we had the air hose too. And there was an air outlet at each pump island to enable adding air to any gas customer's tires. We sold tires, batteries, and all kinds of Gulf chemicals, some nonautomotive.
That's where the money was made. I remember the owner telling me he made about .04 on a gallon of .25 gas but he made his money on tires, batteries, etc.

I'd like to watch Fast Eddie shoot pool one more time. We used to watch him play at Comer's on Gay Street.

I remember the Ten Corner Inn at the corner of Carter School Road and Asheville Hwy. We would sneak off school campus to get snacks and sodas. I remember Helma's Restaurant was a Sunday treat. If we were good, Dad would take us to Nan Denton's on Magnolia Avenue to get an Orange Julius. Ain't nobody down here ever heard of a steamed roast beef and swiss sammich. Their claim to fame is hot pressed cuban subs. Nobody owns a steamer? wtf?

I remember the Ten Corner Inn at the corner of Carter School Road and Asheville Hwy. We would sneak off school campus to get snacks and sodas. I remember Helma's Restaurant was a Sunday treat. If we were good, Dad would take us to Nan Denton's on Magnolia Avenue to get an Orange Julius. Ain't nobody down here ever heard of a steamed roast beef and swiss sammich. Their claim to fame is hot pressed cuban subs. Nobody owns a steamer? wtf?

I just took it for granted that steamed sandwiches were everywhere. I've heard others outside of knoxville say the same thing. vic and bill's on broadway still does it right!!!1

The sad thing about family related memories for me is back then I was wanting to be somewhere else, doing something else.

Nowdays, I would like another chance to live them.

The best steamed sammiches I ever had as a youth came from the original Dis N Dat on Chapman Highway. And, yeah, I figured everybody did that. That was my fare through high school. Dis N Dat, Babe Malloys, Pixie, etc.

The sad thing about family related memories for me is back then I was wanting to be somewhere else, doing something else.

Nowdays, I would like another chance to live them.
I think, perhaps, we all were at that time in our life. Probably the same today for kids.

I remember breaking my collar bone playing sand lot football as a kid. My Dad took me to Doctor Saffold. This Doc was our general physician and x-rayed and set my collar bone in his office. He did all the blood work and radiology in house. He was also the Doctor that cut the cords in mine and my siblings births. One stop shopping with that dude. You don't see that anymore.

I remember breaking my collar bone playing sand lot football as a kid. My Dad took me to Doctor Saffold. This Doc was our general physician and x-rayed and set my collar bone in his office. He did all the blood work and radiology in house. He was also the Doctor that cut the cords in mine and my siblings births. One stop shopping with that dude. You don't see that anymore.
Did you know Jack Saffold by any chance?

We had Doc Slemmons growing up. Everybody called him a horse doctor but he made the house calls and fixed ya up.

This guy was a weekly visitor in the neighborhood. The original brown truck guy-The Jewel Tea Man.
jewel+1947.jpg

Yeah, Jackie was his son. Crazy guy, but fun to hang out with.

Just by the references you make, I am thinking you may be about 5 years older than me. So we would have not ran in the same circles. Shame though, it would have been fun.:yes:

I don't remember Doc Saffold's first name. I don't think I ever knew it.
No bells ringing with Jack Saffold. Could have been his son maybe?

Hey, his first name was Doctor. Just like the Doctor I went to when I was young. :)

VN Store

Back