I just don't see how Butch Jones

Everyone acting like we've already won the East in 2016 reminds me of when the fans were carrying roses after beating UF in 2001. Bringing this thread back up and going "lol people thought Butch was going to be bad but he's actually really good" ignores that Butch is 1-8 against our rivals and still doesn't have a win over a top 10 team

Spin it any way you like, he led us to our best record in 8 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
At the time, that's what I thought. Pleasantly glad to be wrong about his recruiting abilities.

No biggy man. You weren't the first, and I'm sure you won't be the last to have an old thread bumped. We just like to go back and reminisce and laugh at old threads sometimes. You weren't the only one to feel that way I'm sure.

Besides, you manned up and came in to take your wet noodle beating.

Now grovel and beg for forgiveness!!! :)

Reactions: 6 people
Geez when I saw this I was about to jump straight down somebody's throat. Thank goodness its a bump.

Geez when I saw this I was about to jump straight down somebody's throat. Thank goodness its a bump.

I found an easy way to keep from having my threads bumped. Over 7,000 posts and I have never started a thread.

I may say dumb things, but I figure it's got to be harder to find old posts than it is to find old threads.

At least I hope it is. :)

Reactions: 2 people
Everyone acting like we've already won the East in 2016 reminds me of when the fans were carrying roses after beating UF in 2001. Bringing this thread back up and going "lol people thought Butch was going to be bad but he's actually really good" ignores that Butch is 1-8 against our rivals and still doesn't have a win over a top 10 team

Really! worst case scenario; we go 9-3 beat the crap out of a big 10 or 12 team in a bowl, fire BUTCH and get a proven SEC coach OR win the SECCG and a Natty! I want the later but the former is still WAYYYYYY better than Droolsey and Street Blonde!

I wasn't referring to just this thread, even tho this thread is more blatant than others. I think too many people see our top 10 or 15 preseason ranking and thinks that means the same thing as being ranked there in December.

You must think other fans are stupid. I don't know anybody who thinks a preseason ranking is the same as a post season ranking. But to be honest, I'm good with starting 15th and think we will end up higher.

Reactions: 3 people

yep. South Carolina in 2013 was a top 5 team. Northwestern was top 15.

it's a fact we haven't yet beaten a team ranked 6-10.:thumbsup:

At the time, that's what I thought. Pleasantly glad to be wrong about his recruiting abilities.

Just wanted to look back at the perception of many on VN back when Butch was hired. Not personal against you. Glad you have changed your view given how great Butch has done at turning the program around. Way to man up and concede your OP was off base.

Now we get to sit back and enjoy the hard work Butch and co. have put in the last few years!

:good!:

Last edited:
Really! worst case scenario; we go 9-3 beat the crap out of a big 10 or 12 team in a bowl, fire BUTCH and get a proven SEC coach OR win the SECCG and a Natty! I want the later but the former is still WAYYYYYY better than Droolsey and Street Blonde!

Your out of your mind if you think Butch will get fired for going 9-3 this season.

Frankly, after Dooley it was going to be hard for a lot of people here to muster belief in any coach without a proven SEC track record in recruiting and in-game decisions.

I am trusting Butch more and more. He seems to know that you can never be satisfied and how easily it can all fall apart.

The best illustration of this is how Dooley and Butch handled the DC job:

A) Dooley let Sunseri destroy what should have been a mediocre defense at worst (they were fundamentally sound under Wilcox) without ever interfering with the process because he had already made it clear to Sal that he wasn't going to have anything to do with the defense.

B) Butch canned Jancek, a friend, who had done a reasonably good job and who was working below market value because he knew that Jancek was not a championship-caliber coach. That sets the bar at the top for the other coaches and for Butch himself.

Butch is actually 9-9 against our rivals in his first three years. And he has been improving each year: 2-4 in 2013 ... 3-3 in 2014 ... and 4-2 last year.

We have a lot more rivals than just three.

If we beat Georgia again this year and break one or both of the streaks, some folks are going to start squinting so they see only Florida and Alabama, so they can talk even longer about how we "always lose to our rivals."

The Shifting Goalposts of Gloom.

This is 100% incorrect.

We have 3 rivals, max. A strong argument can be made for only 2.

This is 100% incorrect.

We have 3 rivals, max. A strong argument can be made for only 2.

The Vols' three main rivalries include the Alabama Crimson Tide (Third Saturday in October), Florida Gators (Third Saturday in September), and Vanderbilt Commodores (UT-Vandy rivalry). Tennessee also has a long and important rivalry with Kentucky Wildcats (UK-UT rivalry) . Since the formation of the SEC Eastern Division in 1992, the Vols have had an emerging rivalry with the Georgia Bulldogs, and they have a small non-conference rivalry with the in-state Memphis Tigers. None of their games have trophies, although Kentucky-Tennessee used to battle over a Beer Barrel from 1925 until 1999. From 1985 until 2010, Tennessee held a 26-game winning streak over Kentucky. The streak ended on November 26, 2011 when Kentucky defeated Tennessee 10-7 in Lexington. The Volunteers had important rivalries with the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, Auburn Tigers, and Ole Miss Rebels until Georgia Tech left the SEC and realignment forced them to drop Auburn and Ole Miss from the schedule.

The Vols' three main rivalries include the Alabama Crimson Tide (Third Saturday in October), Florida Gators (Third Saturday in September), and Vanderbilt Commodores (UT-Vandy rivalry). Tennessee also has a long and important rivalry with Kentucky Wildcats (UK-UT rivalry) . Since the formation of the SEC Eastern Division in 1992, the Vols have had an emerging rivalry with the Georgia Bulldogs, and they have a small non-conference rivalry with the in-state Memphis Tigers. None of their games have trophies, although Kentucky-Tennessee used to battle over a Beer Barrel from 1925 until 1999. From 1985 until 2010, Tennessee held a 26-game winning streak over Kentucky. The streak ended on November 26, 2011 when Kentucky defeated Tennessee 10-7 in Lexington. The Volunteers had important rivalries with the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, Auburn Tigers, and Ole Miss Rebels until Georgia Tech left the SEC and realignment forced them to drop Auburn and Ole Miss from the schedule.

That's a good list, Enki: Bama, Florida, Vandy, Kentucky, Georgia, [didn't realize Memphis was considered a rival], Georgia Tech, Auburn, and Ole Miss.

To that list, I would add Miss State (not recently, but historically) and South Carolina (since the SEC divided into East and West, 24 years ago).

Those are our rivals.

Those who would only count Florida and Alabama are just as wrong as those who would only count Vandy and Kentucky. None of those four series have been particularly competitive in recent memory, but that doesn't mean they're not still rivalries.

Thanks for the good post. Go Vols!

Memphis is a UT rival? That's news to me, and I have been watching UT football for almost 40 years!

Reactions: 1 person
Memphis is a UT rival? That's news to me, and I have been watching UT football for almost 40 years!

TN has been playing football longer.
:)

Seriously though, I'm surprised also.
We get hung up with what we have personally seen but apparently it happened.

TN has been playing football longer.
:)

Seriously though, I'm surprised also.
We get hung up with what we have personally seen but apparently it happened.

They aren't rivals in football. UT has only lost to Memphis one time in their entire history.

They aren't rivals in football. UT has only lost to Memphis one time in their entire history.

Vandy isn't really a loss concern either.
There's just so many more reasons to hate an organization than records.

I loved it when UCLA and Tennessee got together. We're 7-6-2 against them.

Memphis, we're 22-1 against them. The beat down is fun, howevrr, not much of a rivalry, imo.

Well, at least our irrationally positive fans have more sensible and level headed posters around to keep them grounded with the facts. :whistling:

VN Store

Back