I hope the Bajakian hate is going to die down now

Regardless of how they have arrived to this point, the offense has been a sore spot for two years running with no signs of improving this season that I can see.

Last year they were mediocre and could run the ball some.

This year they are mediocre and pass the ball some.

They weren't impressive last year and they aren't impressive this year by any statistical standard.

Next year, they get to break in another new QB and new offensive linemen as they appear to be trying to recruit over what they have now.

And we just finished the "easy"( in relative terms for any SEC team) half of the schedule in relation to defensive teams.

Two of the top 6 scoring defenses in the country on the agenda the next two weeks.

I don't disagree with you post. My point was that it's not the offensive line that's been the issue for two years.

As for improvement, Worley is statistically better for the most part, which is impressive considering the pressure he's been under. I'd also argue that tight end play has been much better with the addition of Wolf and Helm than what I remember last year.

Injuries are part of the game but they have certainly taken a toll on our receivers this year (and now tailbacks it seems).

Reactions: 3 people
Funny how our QB isn't afraid to keep it against a crappy team. Cost TN at least two games this yr.

I don't disagree with you post. My point was that it's not the offensive line that's been the issue for two years.

As for improvement, Worley is statistically better for the most part, which is impressive considering the pressure he's been under. I'd also argue that tight end play has been much better with the addition of Wolf and Helm than what I remember last year.

Injuries are part of the game but they have certainly taken a toll on our receivers this year (and now tailbacks it seems).

Then we agree. I'm saying its not the line either

Funny how our QB isn't afraid to keep it against a crappy team. Cost TN at least two games this yr.

Perhaps the staff gave him the green light yo run this week, and didn't give him the green light against others. At least now future opponents have to at least consider the possibility of a QB keep

And any poster who says Worley is scared hasn't watched any Tennessee games this year

Reactions: 1 person
Again, We saw the same issues with a senior line playing in the NFL now

Are you saying that last year's line couldn't block either? If that were true, they wouldn't be in the NFL. Last year's line did a good job, but our QB and WR play was awful, had no passing game AT ALL, and so were predictable and one-dimensional.

Where is Sanders and Blair?

They can't be as bad as what we have seen so far

Butch said last week (and I'm paraphrasing, but not exaggerating) that who we see on the field is the best option we have at OL and he knows it isn't good enough. That tells me Sanders and Blair aren't cutting it. Still doesn't take away the fact that the coaches should find better schemes to protect this horrid o line

Sorry, but I'm not giving Bajakian a pass for not running Worley in the first 5 games. That was stupid, IMO. Worley is not a good runner, but you at least need to keep it some to give the defense something to think about--and if you can get even four yards--as Jones himself said yesterday--it is positive yardage. To see the QBs suddenly running the ball yesterday is an acknowledgement that what they've been doing hasn't been working (and hasn't been very smart).

A good OC calls plays that work to the strength of the offense. Sometimes coach B. does a great job of this,other times play calling is terrible. Things I saw yesterday were not very encouraging. I hope they can find more ways to get the TE's involved, also maybe some quick hitting slants,outs,hot reads, ect.

The bottom line is yes the o line is young and short on experience, but the glaring problem is that the coaching staff is doing nothing to address the issue with tweaks to scheming or playcalling. That's what worries me about this staff.

So if we gave bama's staff a handful of middle school girls to make an o-line with, would they be able to coach them up?

I know thats ridiculously extreme, but we are talking about a severe lack of talent/experience on our roster at the position.

Coaching can only do so much and many of the schemes in place were installed to help the o-line. At some point you can't coach up a horribly weak unit to play against great defensive fronts.

Then we agree. I'm saying its not the line either

No we don't, because I think it's a huge issue this year.

You brought up last year's line as either an indictment on that group or as proof that line play doesn't matter, neither of which I agree with.

Reactions: 4 people
So if we gave bama's staff a handful of middle school girls to make an o-line with, would they be able to coach them up?

I know thats ridiculously extreme, but we are talking about a severe lack of talent/experience on our roster at the position.

Coaching can only do so much and many of the schemes in place were installed to help the o-line. At some point you can't coach up a horribly weak unit to play against great defensive fronts.

Please educate me on how our formations and schemes are designed to help this oline, when every other school running this formation relies on a dependable oline

A good OC calls plays that work to the strength of the offense. Sometimes coach B. does a great job of this,other times play calling is terrible. Things I saw yesterday were not very encouraging. I hope they can find more ways to get the TE's involved, also maybe some quick hitting slants,outs,hot reads, ect.

Defenses are only sending 3-4 guys to stop our run on most plays. That leaves 7-8 guys to cover our TEs and WRs.

To make matters worse, we cant hold the defenders back long enough for most mid/long developing plays.

So what do you think defenses are doing with all those available defenders? Sitting 15 yards out waiting for a bomb we dont have time to throw?

Please educate me on how our formations and schemes are designed to help this oline, when every other school running this formation relies on a dependable oline

True. We need that scheme that uses terrible o line. Remind me of that scheme again.

Unreal.

That's part of my point

Our oline was good last year, yet we still saw the same bad calls on offense

Blamed by many on the oline they called " overrated "

Our play calling was limited last year due to implementing yet another offensive system, with an inexperienced QB, a true freshman wide receiver, and an untalented RB. What's funny to me was listening to Mullen and Freeze, last night, talk about their "process" of building teams with character, that have fortunately come together on and off the field. I could have sworn I had heard that "process" term somewhere before? (Sarcasm) There are holes to fill and a system to implement that has proven to be successful. Give it time.

Awwwww...volfanbile with another no answer. SOP.

No. You missed the point, as always. Adding a blocking TE, ensuring the RB says back to block, perhaps using an I formation, and countless other ways are tweaks to helping out this horrific offensive line. Thanks for playing and looking stupid again. Always enjoyable and a reminder of what a joke this forum has become is though.

With 3 different QBs? Well we did beat a top 5 team.

I'm not saying our line was bad last year. I'm saying that the same issues with play calling this year, happened last year, so a different or experienced line won't coorect that

Yes, we did beat them and still lost to Vandy

You didn't give a pass to Dooley for youth, inexperience, and injuries

Why Jones?

Yeah, I agree as well that it's not the O line last season but all this ultimately falls at the feet of the offensive staff to improve the overall performance.

It's obvious that's happening on the defensive side of the ball.

It's obvious that it's not happening on offense. Not saying fire anyone ( other than Mahoney...sorry but this o line just looks horrible from a technique and attitude standpoint to me) but I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel next season either.

It'll be another year on offense with built in excuses. New QB, young O line etc.

No. You missed the point, as always. Adding a blocking TE, ensuring the RB says back to block, perhaps using an I formation, and countless other ways are tweaks to helping out this horrific offensive line. Thanks for playing and looking stupid again. Always enjoyable and a reminder of what a joke this forum has become is though.

Yes, those haven't been done at all.
But we all appreciate your expertise in scheming. I bet you might get a job as a rec league coach one day. Will you move out of mom's basement then?

Again, We saw the same issues with a senior line playing in the NFL now

Including the best season running the ball in 9 years.

Also, how about give the coaches some credit for getting them to the NFL? You want to place all the blame on the coaches for the OL this year, yet give them absolutely no credit for getting guys drafted. Typical.

I'm not saying our line was bad last year. I'm saying that the same issues with play calling this year, happened last year, so a different or experienced line won't coorect that

Yes, we did beat them and still lost to Vandy

You didn't give a pass to Dooley for youth, inexperience, and injuries

Why Jones?

Cause only one person got to inherit Dooley's mess, Jones.

Almost none of you understood the complete mess Dooley was creating.

EVERY school running EVERY formation relies on a dependable O-Line. It's the backbone of your entire offense.

I'm not a football guru, but here are the things I've seen the staff try/do:

- Zone blocking on run plays: The entire O-Line runs towards the sideline and essentially committee blocks the other team and doesn't depend as much on creating specific gaps. Gets blown up because defenses have so many guys protecting short passing game.

- Multiple RBs in the backfield to help, essentially committing 7 guys to blocking the QB from 4 defenders (even this has blown up). Think about that: 7-8 guys blocking so we can get 1 short pass off to one of a couple targets.

- The Read-Option, allowing us to theoretically cancel out a defender by letting Worley make a read. Problem is that cancelling out just one guy isn't enough to give this O-Line an advantage.

- Quick bubbles/flats to completely nullify reliance on the O-Line. Problem is that it gets played tough because, like short passing plays, its all we have without an O-Line and defenses know it.

- Delayed Run plays, allowing everything to essentially fall apart and then sending out runner. This seems to work sparingly when the defense is caught sleeping

- Traditional Gap running - this works extremely rarely because we can't consistently open scripted gaps with the talent, but they try it to mix it up on the defense

Can I stop now?

Last edited:
I don't disagree with you post. My point was that it's not the offensive line that's been the issue for two years

Am I reading this wrong?

VN Store

Back