I don't want a new coach

Butch has done a phenomenal job at restocking the roster. I bet there are several coaches with their eye on our program so they can enter their name into the candidate pool. The program is in 100x better shape than it was 5 years ago and there are plenty of guys that would kill to have the head coaching job. It maybe doesn't have to be a Gruden, Kelly or Stoops but we should not have any problem attracting a quality coach. If we hire a second, or third rate coach again we will know the Administration doesn't care about wins and losses. They only care about their precious budget.

I think it's time for Butch to move on, however I have no confidence in the utad that the next hire will be any different. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

Can't grasp why people want to mediocre former pro coach with very little college experience (Gruden - barely exceeded 50% wins in NFL). Also, why would you want a coach who has previously had a show cause from the NCAA (Kelly), and he would likely violate more rules here, plus the NCAA will be closely checking him out all the time? Stoops would be good, but doubt he would come here, same for Mullen or Patterson. As far as recruiting, some are saying that Tennessee sells itself, but that sure didn't happen under Dooley.

.... if the UTAD is not serious about the only global brand at the University of Tennessee.

I've been on record for five years on the Botchfense. I've probably been #2 behind D4H in praise of Dobbs and said he bailed out the Botchfense for four years. As much as I don't want to see another hand-off from a standing start, I also don't care for us to trawl the OVC and Sun Belt for another snake oil diamond in the rough. We don't find those guys and we never have.

I want to see UTAD understand in the era of the SEC Network, in the era of big TV money, it's time to invest in a big time coach. I want to see and know that they know the times have changed and to beat Saban et al you need to attract and retain Saban level coaching.

I was an Original Grudenite (check your Grudentude) and would be thrilled if UTAD made a serious play for him even if he doesn't work out as some feel is inevitable. I want to know that UTAD recognizes the new realities and is ready to compete with the best. Going after a Gruden, Kelly, or Shoop is what is required this year.

If we're going to trawl for Butch 2 or Derek Stooley again to hell with it. Just promote Scott or Hoke and see what happens. Currie already has huge decade-long decisions to make and I have been doubtful from the beginning. He is marinated in the Hamilton way; let's see if he is his own man.
Hoke it will be

Nice try! I'm calling BS on this one.

Reminds me of a hilarious story from back in 2004-2005

I live in South Carolina. I have on-and-off for most of my life.

But I remember I had a buddy who is a South Carolina fan and did construction work. All over the state. And I remember we were all at a get-together once and talking Football. Talking about Tennessee, Clemson, South Carolina. And I remember him saying, dead ass seriously "Steve Spurrier is going to be coaching South Carolina next year, so we will see how Clemson does in the Palmetto bowl then" and we all started busting out laughing. Because I mean...well, it's South Carolina. Right? Steve Spurrier wouldn't be caught dead in Columbia...

Well. We were all poking him and he said "My boss just got contracted out to install all the hardwood floors in his new house he just bought on the lake. I'm telling you. Steve Spurrier is going to be the new coach at South Carolina."

And well....the rest is history. Lolol.

.... if the UTAD is not serious about the only global brand at the University of Tennessee.

I've been on record for five years on the Botchfense. I've probably been #2 behind D4H in praise of Dobbs and said he bailed out the Botchfense for four years. As much as I don't want to see another hand-off from a standing start, I also don't care for us to trawl the OVC and Sun Belt for another snake oil diamond in the rough. We don't find those guys and we never have.

I want to see UTAD understand in the era of the SEC Network, in the era of big TV money, it's time to invest in a big time coach. I want to see and know that they know the times have changed and to beat Saban et al you need to attract and retain Saban level coaching.

I was an Original Grudenite (check your Grudentude) and would be thrilled if UTAD made a serious play for him even if he doesn't work out as some feel is inevitable. I want to know that UTAD recognizes the new realities and is ready to compete with the best. Going after a Gruden, Kelly, or Shoop is what is required this year.

If we're going to trawl for Butch 2 or Derek Stooley again to hell with it. Just promote Scott or Hoke and see what happens. Currie already has huge decade-long decisions to make and I have been doubtful from the beginning. He is marinated in the Hamilton way; let's see if he is his own man.

Maybe UTAD doesn't care about getting a big name coach as long as the TV money keeps coming in. Maybe that is the problem.

I want a new coach, just don't want to go through the rebuilding again and again and again:mf_surrender:

Reactions: 1 person
I want a new coach, just don't want to go through the rebuilding again and again and again:mf_surrender:

Tennessee shouldn't have to right now. Years of top recruiting classes, talent & solid back ups, Tennessee has been winning, and they have been winning bowl games. Everything is ready for the right person to take the keys and frekin ride.

It's hard not to LOL at these threads. People are unrealistic on who UT would hire. You think you will get a top tier coach you need to have your head examined!

Hey I'll just say it again.....Chip isn't in a coach gig....but he will be somewhere by this time next year.

I know many of you don't like/want him; however he is a proven college winner, proven talent developer, and proven game manager. I would love to see Tennessee averaging 45+ per while giving up 20-22 per.

He'd get killed in SEC after the first year or so....

Tennessee shouldn't have to right now. Years of top recruiting classes, talent & solid back ups, Tennessee has been winning, and they have been winning bowl games. Everything is ready for the right person to take the keys and frekin ride.

The QBs suck though -- I dont know much about this Martinez CBJ has commited, but if he decommits UT things wont get any better

We have run the gamet of coaches since Fulmer from other conferences who have no clue about what it means to coach in the SEC, and Tennessee and its traditions.

Tee Martin gets it when it comes to donning Orange. He seems to be doing good things at USC. And he knows what it is like to bring a NC home to Rocky Top.

No one on these other lists have that on their resume.

I like Tee but the only way I see him getting a shot is if we wait to fire Butch during or after the 2018 season. He hasn't been a coordinator long enough to give him a HC gig. This is year 2 and we don't know how much input he had installing their offense or if he just kept the same system rolling. I also think fans would scream "you decided to hire a former UT QB but didn't try Manning or JB Cooter". Also there would be some "we're hiring the USC OC again b/c he's a great recruiter, how did that work out last time?"

Completely agree. We must have a homerun hire able to compete with Bama and everyone else Year 1 (the real Year 1, no excuses). I do not want to buy out another coach's contract so IMHO there are 3 coaches, only 3, that fit that bill (in no particular order):

- Gruden
- C. Kelly (w/ Helfrich as OC)
- B. Stoops

If the admin/ boosters won't pony up then keep running this circus until CBJs contract runs out or he skips town and they can make another meh hire if it's not an absolute homerun hire. Anything less and I know the admin/boosters legitimately don't care a thing about championships and we'll be back to this same spot in 5-7 years.

Absolutely no to these coaches:

Cutcliffe
Chavis
Miles
Patterson
Peterson
Franklin
Petrino
Mullen
Shaw
Orgeron
Durkin
Schiano
Pelini
Fuente
Brohm
Fleck
Norvel
Wilcox
Taggart
F. Wilson
B. Kelly
Sumlin
Venables
T. Martin
Cooter
Satterfield
Morris
Aranda
Canada
or anyone else already mentioned on VN

Gruden not coming, Stoops isn't going to rival his brother, Chip Kelly doesn't want to play Bama every year. As much as I agree with ya, I must say there are a few names on your no list I would be ok with.

The QBs suck though -- I dont know much about this Martinez CBJ has commited, but if he decommits UT things wont get any better

Our QBs do not suck. I will never understand that narrative on this board. It's like people honestly forgot the days of Crompton,Simms, Worley, and Peterman.

The sky is the limit for JG and Dormady. I hate to blame everything on the coaches but it seems the small issues they do have could be fixed with coaching, or playcalling... or ya know the WR corps actually running routes correctly.

He'd get killed in SEC after the first year or so....

Can you offer any proof......or at least a legit reason as to why he would?

3 Pac titles with 1 North title
10-3
12-1
12-2
12-1
averaged 45+
gave up average 20-22
2010 coach of the year
2012 coach of the year
2 Rose Bowls, 1 BCS championship game, 1 Fiesta game

I understand that stuff would NEVER fly in the SEC East, because the East is/has been so dominate over the past many years.

Fla puts anyone in at QB and beats Tennessee, GA plugs in a new freshman and destroys MSU, Clem looses their best QB of all time....and just look at them, and these are just a few......good coaches can win....and most importantly they develop what they have.

Good coaches do not recruit o top DT/QB and 2 years later say "they cant line up under center."

LOL look at Bama.....they plug anyone in at QB and keep right on going........this is no longer 2008-13 at Tennessee.

A shameless bump but now UTAD has to step up to the plate and they need to show they have the cajones to do what must be done -- starting today.

Our QBs do not suck. I will never understand that narrative on this board. It's like people honestly forgot the days of Crompton,Simms, Worley, and Peterman.

The sky is the limit for JG and Dormady. I hate to blame everything on the coaches but it seems the small issues they do have could be fixed with coaching, or playcalling... or ya know the WR corps actually running routes correctly.

There isn't any doubt that Dormady isn't playing good.

VN Store

Back