I don't want a new coach

We have run the gamet of coaches since Fulmer from other conferences who have no clue about what it means to coach in the SEC, and Tennessee and its traditions.

Tee Martin gets it when it comes to donning Orange. He seems to be doing good things at USC. And he knows what it is like to bring a NC home to Rocky Top.

No one on these other lists have that on their resume.

Who was Tee's QB coach when he won the natty? Who was Jameis Winston's QB coach when he won the natty ? He's not on OP's "list" but he donned the orange and has tons of SEC experience. I would trust him as UT's coach and JB Cooter as OC. Get Peyton's opinion on JB and realize his status as an influential booster. I'd talk to JB but he's concentrating on the falcons right now. LOL

Who was Tee's QB coach when he won the natty? Who was Jameis Winston's QB coach when he won the natty ? He's not on OP's "list" but he donned the orange and has tons of SEC experience. I would trust him as UT's coach and JB Cooter as OC. Get Peyton's opinion on JB and realize his status as an influential booster. I'd talk to JB but he's concentrating on the falcons right now. LOL

Both Tee and JBC have rocketed up the coaching ranks and they are good shout out for replacements.

Upon reflection, the best coach we've had on the Hill since Fulmer has been Justin Wilcox. I can't remember his recruiting prowess while here, but he was the best pure coach we've had since the Hambone Debacle.

We are clueless as to what is occurring behind the scenes. Here's what should be happening IMO. CBJ should be on CLS's azz bigtime and Canales' as well. Coach Wells held out Robertson from the UMass game and got some 2nd team players quite a few needed reps. The OL looked sluggish against UMass so CBJ should get on Wells also but to a lesser extent.UGA will tell the story as to how this team has evolved under CBJ's tenure because he'll be compared to 2nd year coach Smart. McElwain is already a good "measuring stick" to make comparisons by.

Coach Shoop's D showed positive signs of his use of varying blitzes but against an inferior opponent which really doesn't tell us anything at all. I found coach Thigpen's insights on THE BJ'S SHOW to be very informative as it deals with our LB's and what's expected of them. There is a degree of sophistication involved that requires some time to learn and apply to get optimum performance. 2nd teamers got good reps on DLine vs. UMass. Our D is coming along but likely not enough to shut down UGA or Bama this year. Offense is our achilles heel no if ands,or buts. The OL has to man up for the rest of the season to allow other aspects of the offense to grow. CBJ has to know these things and explain it to this team and motivate them in some manner.

Reactions: 1 person
Completely agree. We must have a homerun hire able to compete with Bama and everyone else Year 1 (the real Year 1, no excuses). I do not want to buy out another coach's contract so IMHO there are 3 coaches, only 3, that fit that bill (in no particular order):

- Gruden
- C. Kelly (w/ Helfrich as OC)
- B. Stoops

If the admin/ boosters won't pony up then keep running this circus until CBJs contract runs out or he skips town and they can make another meh hire if it's not an absolute homerun hire. Anything less and I know the admin/boosters legitimately don't care a thing about championships and we'll be back to this same spot in 5-7 years.

Absolutely no to these coaches:

Cutcliffe
Chavis
Miles
Patterson
Peterson
Franklin
Petrino
Mullen
Shaw
Orgeron
Durkin
Schiano
Pelini
Fuente
Brohm
Fleck
Norvel
Wilcox
Taggart
F. Wilson
B. Kelly
Sumlin
Venables
T. Martin
Cooter
Morris
Aranda
Canada
or anyone else already mentioned on VN

This is more delusional than a D4H post. Why are you mentioning Gruden as a possible coach?

I dont think we need a big name. We need a coach proven to field fundamentally sound football teams. Talent will take care of filling the gap. No coach has proven to be able to consistently beat Nick Saban therefore you are sitting any coach up for failure of thats the mark. You need a coach that fields a tough competative team, winning 9-11 games consistently, but is competative with everyone. Then you figure if a coach can do that consistently, every once in a while everything will align to win more. At that point, i think most people accept that you win some, you lose some. I know i would.

If we have to keep Jones can we right it in to his contract that he has to shut the **** up. I dont want to hear his excuses and him blame other people for his inadequacies.

Completely agree. We must have a homerun hire able to compete with Bama and everyone else Year 1 (the real Year 1, no excuses). I do not want to buy out another coach's contract so IMHO there are 3 coaches, only 3, that fit that bill (in no particular order):

- Gruden
- C. Kelly (w/ Helfrich as OC)
- B. Stoops

If the admin/ boosters won't pony up then keep running this circus until CBJs contract runs out or he skips town and they can make another meh hire if it's not an absolute homerun hire. Anything less and I know the admin/boosters legitimately don't care a thing about championships and we'll be back to this same spot in 5-7 years.

Cutcliffe
Chavis
Miles
Patterson
Peterson
Franklin
Petrino
Mullen
Shaw
Orgeron
Durkin
Schiano
Pelini
Fuente
Brohm
Fleck
Norvel
Wilcox
Taggart
F. Wilson
B. Kelly
Sumlin
Venables
T. Martin
Cooter
Morris
Aranda
Canada
or anyone else already mentioned on VN

I honestly believe any one of these coaches would put a better coached product on the field than what we have seen the last couple of years.

I honestly believe any one of these coaches would put a better coached product on the field than what we have seen the last couple of years.

And this is the problem with the thought of a good number on this board. Our measuring stick shouldn't be Dooley and Butch. I want to beat Saban, Meyer, Dabo, etc. That, I believe, requires a homerun hire.

You wanna outdo Dooley and Butch then go ahead but UT will be back at this same spot in 5-7 years.

Here is the thing. Currie really isn't the key figure here. At least from the outset. It instead will depend on the amount that others are willing to allow Currie to pay a HFC at Tennessee.

If it is at the absolute top of the market, then Currie will be able to go big. But, if the amount continues to be middle of the SEC, then the AD's options get limited in a hurry.

Yep. This is a lot bigger than John Currie. Those above him will have to be on board with spending big $ for a big time coach. That's why I feel like the best we could do is Justin Fuente. He currently only makes $3.25 which we would be willing to exceed (we will probably go as high as $4.75m, maybe $5.00m). We won't be willing to pay what it takes for guys like Chip Kelly. Our coaching hires over the last 10 years prove that the powers that be at UT don't prioritize paying big money for a head football coach.

This is more delusional than a D4H post. Why are you mentioning Gruden as a possible coach?

I dont think we need a big name. We need a coach proven to field fundamentally sound football teams. Talent will take care of filling the gap. No coach has proven to be able to consistently beat Nick Saban therefore you are sitting any coach up for failure of thats the mark. You need a coach that fields a tough competative team, winning 9-11 games consistently, but is competative with everyone. Then you figure if a coach can do that consistently, every once in a while everything will align to win more. At that point, i think most people accept that you win some, you lose some. I know i would.

No...

While I agree that Gruden is never coming here,I believe our AD should look to rejoin the Bama, Ohio State, USC, Oklahoma, Clemson universe.

Either that or join the Sun Belt.

And this is the problem with the thought of a good number on this board. Our measuring stick shouldn't be Dooley and Butch. I want to beat Saban, Meyer, Dabo, etc. That, I believe, requires a homerun hire.

You wanna outdo Dooley and Butch then go ahead but UT will be back at this same spot in 5-7 years.

Hell , everybody wants a homerun hire! I'm just sayin, any coach on that list would put a better coached team on the field week to week, and be a better game day coach. Who knows who the next Saban, Meyer, or Dabo is gonna be?

Good, because your not going to get one this year, 1st year athletic director....Jones is safe this year....book it

Gruden may not come but I believe he could put together and surround himself with truly the best staff of any coach that can recruit anywhere in the country and with any team in the country and develop the talent to compete with any team for championships. Yes he wants to get back into coaching and I completely understand it may not be at the college level but he would be my first call. This program needs a complete reboot and an absolute homerun hire.

Perfectly fine to disagree and call me delusional but that's my stance.

If we have to keep Jones can we right it in to his contract that he has to shut the **** up. I dont want to hear his excuses and him blame other people for his inadequacies.

His last two games at least he's said it starts with him.

Hey I'll just say it again.....Chip isn't in a coach gig....but he will be somewhere by this time next year.

I know many of you don't like/want him; however he is a proven college winner, proven talent developer, and proven game manager. I would love to see Tennessee averaging 45+ per while giving up 20-22 per.

Gruden's added advertising bottled horse piss to his resume. doubt seriously if he wants to get back to earning a living.

completely agree. We must have a homerun hire able to compete with bama and everyone else year 1 (the real year 1, no excuses). I do not want to buy out another coach's contract so imho there are 3 coaches, only 3, that fit that bill (in no particular order):

- gruden
- c. Kelly (w/ helfrich as oc)
- b. Stoops

if the admin/ boosters won't pony up then keep running this circus until cbjs contract runs out or he skips town and they can make another meh hire if it's not an absolute homerun hire. Anything less and i know the admin/boosters legitimately don't care a thing about championships and we'll be back to this same spot in 5-7 years.

Cutcliffe
chavis
miles
patterson
peterson
franklin
petrino
mullen
shaw
orgeron
durkin
schiano
pelini
fuente
brohm
fleck
norvel
wilcox
taggart
f. Wilson
b. Kelly
sumlin
venables
t. Martin
cooter
morris
aranda
canada
or anyone else already mentioned on vn

lmao!!! Id take 90% of these guys over Gruden

I just don't understand how these very smart guys on the Board and the billionaire donors don't get that a big investment in a top shelf coach would have such a domino effect on the entire athletic department in revenue and profits and the enormously positive energy derived from that that would reflect on the University as a whole. Just seems like a no brainer to me.

If there is a coaching change at UT the issue will not be money, it will be control. Our boosters and administration will not give a big name coach the freedom to run the program. We, like many SEC schools, have boosters and donors who will not take hands off the program. Many people with money to donate want to have control and access.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back