I don't want a new coach

Butch is a classy guy.

Butch runs a clean program.

Butch has started and continued the rebuilding process of what was once a dumpster fire.

Butch is recruiting much better players than we've had in years.

Butch has shown he's willing to make changes and get different/better coaches.

Butch has fixed the APR problem with a focus on academics.

Butch Jones will never win championships at this level.

The question for the powers that be is, do all the good things he's done outweigh the bottom line, which is wins and losses. IMHO, it comes down to money. Last year Tennessee was the highest grossing, highest profiting football program in the country. As long as that continues, there will not be a coaching change. Butch would have to pull a Bobby Petrino or Hugh Freeze for the admin to walk away from him.

TIFWIW. JMHO. :hi:

Hm. Interesting. I think the bottom line will start to be affected if he botches this season up though.

I just don't see UT getting a big time coach. Imo and I'm no expert....but I don't think butch is such a huge problem. I just think he needs a better supporting cast of coaches...especially our OC. I was not impressed with our play calling yesterday and I'm not sure why we are experimenting with an OC with so little proven success/experience anyways. Also...butch has always been a great recruiter and i hate to see us not hang on to this class we have now....there's some great football players in there and it is shaping up to be our best class yet. I understand we want to win but if we go with another coach then who??...people was cheering for MSU's Mullen and KY's stoops yesterday and they both ended up losing!! ...anyways..GBO!!!

Gruden is never coming to Tennessee.

Exactly. I did some work for his son in son's home. We casually talked all morning. He said my dad will coach again but he will never coach college. He has the competitive itch to coach in the NFL but not interested in all that's involved with a college job.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch has got Georgia set up perfectly. We are the heavy home underdog. Backs in the corner. The lads will come out swinging.

You may be right, not saying you're necessarily wrong. I would ask though, what have you seen this season that makes you think they'll come out swinging and pull off a Georgia win? And to say "Butch has got Georgia set up perfectly" is almost laughable! To say that, implies he has intended to look like crap......

Last edited:
Completely agree. We must have a homerun hire able to compete with Bama and everyone else Year 1 (the real Year 1, no excuses). I do not want to buy out another coach's contract so IMHO there are 3 coaches, only 3, that fit that bill (in no particular order):

- Gruden
- C. Kelly (w/ Helfrich as OC)
- B. Stoops

If the admin/ boosters won't pony up then keep running this circus until CBJs contract runs out or he skips town and they can make another meh hire if it's not an absolute homerun hire. Anything less and I know the admin/boosters legitimately don't care a thing about championships and we'll be back to this same spot in 5-7 years.

Absolutely no to these coaches:

Cutcliffe
Chavis
Miles
Patterson
Peterson
Franklin
Petrino
Mullen
Durkin
Schiano
Pelini
Fuente
Brohm
Fleck
Norvel
Wilcox
Taggart
F. Wilson
B. Kelly
Sumlin
Venables
T. Martin
Cooter
Morris
or anyone else already mentioned on VN

There's about as much change of hiring one of the three coaches you mention as there is of Neyland Stadium sliding off into the Tennessee river. And BTW, there are some very fine coaches on your never-ever list.

Reactions: 3 people
Sorry to burst your bubble but if Butch goes 5-7 he's getting canned.

Fade, you could be right. But I don't believe it will be because of poor play. They'll can him because of the impact to the bottom line. And then they'll go out and find another bargain basement coach. Which will suck.

In the end I guess it really doesn't matter why they sack Butch. But all Vol fans would have every right to be very apprehensive about the hiring of the next coach.

Butch is a classy guy.

Butch runs a clean program.

Butch has started and continued the rebuilding process of what was once a dumpster fire.

Butch is recruiting much better players than we've had in years.

Butch has shown he's willing to make changes and get different/better coaches.

Butch has fixed the APR problem with a focus on academics.

Butch Jones will never win championships at this level.

The question for the powers that be is, do all the good things he's done outweigh the bottom line, which is wins and losses. IMHO, it comes down to money. Last year Tennessee was the highest grossing, highest profiting football program in the country. As long as that continues, there will not be a coaching change. Butch would have to pull a Bobby Petrino or Hugh Freeze for the admin to walk away from him.

TIFWIW. JMHO. :hi:

Perfect synopsis.
My only change to your last sentence would be OR FINISH WITH A LOSING RECORD AND LOSSES TO BOTH KENTUCKY AND VANDY. That would embarrass the Haslems, etc, too much.

We have run the gamet of coaches since Fulmer from other conferences who have no clue about what it means to coach in the SEC, and Tennessee and its traditions.

Tee Martin gets it when it comes to donning Orange. He seems to be doing good things at USC. And he knows what it is like to bring a NC home to Rocky Top.

No one on these other lists have that on their resume.

We have run the gamet of coaches since Fulmer from other conferences who have no clue about what it means to coach in the SEC, and Tennessee and its traditions.

Tee Martin gets it when it comes to donning Orange. He seems to be doing good things at USC. And he knows what it is like to bring a NC home to Rocky Top.

No one on these other lists have that on their resume.

And yet some morons will object because they are still not over Martin saying Hurd was slow (which was correct btw)

Reactions: 2 people
Considering Gary Patterson makes $4.7 million. I think it would take way more to make him leave.

Patterson won't come here...he's sitting pretty in a talent hotbed state and he's rolling...another mil or two won't get him to come here...would you? :salute:

And yet some morons will object because they are still not over Martin saying Hurd was slow (which was correct btw)

Actually, I think he said Hurd was soft, not slow. And he was still correct.

Also, please don't expect I have any kind of bubble about Butch. I will admit I probably hung to hopes of Dooley not sucking too long. But I think I've learned my lesson. I don't believe Butch is the long term answer for this team or this school. What will be interesting to see is how our AD handles, and eventually executes, the termination. Will he do it like he did when they let Fulmer go? Or will he try to handle it better and not blow up the program.

.... if the UTAD is not serious about the only global brand at the University of Tennessee.

I've been on record for five years on the Botchfense. I've probably been #2 behind D4H in praise of Dobbs and said he bailed out the Botchfense for four years. As much as I don't want to see another hand-off from a standing start, I also don't care for us to trawl the OVC and Sun Belt for another snake oil diamond in the rough. We don't find those guys and we never have.

I want to see UTAD understand in the era of the SEC Network, in the era of big TV money, it's time to invest in a big time coach. I want to see and know that they know the times have changed and to beat Saban et al you need to attract and retain Saban level coaching.

I was an Original Grudenite (check your Grudentude) and would be thrilled if UTAD made a serious play for him even if he doesn't work out as some feel is inevitable. I want to know that UTAD recognizes the new realities and is ready to compete with the best. Going after a Gruden, Kelly, or Shoop is what is required this year.

If we're going to trawl for Butch 2 or Derek Stooley again to hell with it. Just promote Scott or Hoke and see what happens. Currie already has huge decade-long decisions to make and I have been doubtful from the beginning. He is marinated in the Hamilton way; let's see if he is his own man.

Totally agree.. I'm afraid the administration doesn't.. I don't think it's very high on their board.

.... if the UTAD is not serious about the only global brand at the University of Tennessee.

I've been on record for five years on the Botchfense. I've probably been #2 behind D4H in praise of Dobbs and said he bailed out the Botchfense for four years. As much as I don't want to see another hand-off from a standing start, I also don't care for us to trawl the OVC and Sun Belt for another snake oil diamond in the rough. We don't find those guys and we never have.

I want to see UTAD understand in the era of the SEC Network, in the era of big TV money, it's time to invest in a big time coach. I want to see and know that they know the times have changed and to beat Saban et al you need to attract and retain Saban level coaching.

I was an Original Grudenite (check your Grudentude) and would be thrilled if UTAD made a serious play for him even if he doesn't work out as some feel is inevitable. I want to know that UTAD recognizes the new realities and is ready to compete with the best. Going after a Gruden, Kelly, or Shoop is what is required this year.

If we're going to trawl for Butch 2 or Derek Stooley again to hell with it. Just promote Scott or Hoke and see what happens. Currie already has huge decade-long decisions to make and I have been doubtful from the beginning. He is marinated in the Hamilton way; let's see if he is his own man.

No one wants a new coach. We all want Butch to succeed at UT, but this is year 5 in his program, these are all his players, and he's recruited players that don't necessarily fit his system. He's on his third offensive coordinator, and the system is STILL the same. Butch has proven to be too stubborn to change.

He keeps making the same stupid mistakes game after game, season after season. Essentially, and I hate to say this because I like him as a person, but Butch has proven to be too stupid to change his offense.

The definition of stupid is doing the same thing over and over again that doesn't work while expecting a better result.

I have always said that you can't fix stupid

Honestly, I feel the same way. I don't have confidence that the AD can make a decent hire. If it can't be a home run hire, then it's not worth risking getting a new staff

Wow. Ok, so $6mil to $7mil.
TCU should never have a better coach better paid than UT.

I don't know if Patterson would want to leave his situation at TCU. That said, the University of Tennessee brand and it's fans deserve someone at least to that level. The program was so mismanaged from 2005 through 2012 (Hamilton andx Hart) that some people now believe this program is mid SEC level and can't get better. Most people looking at this program from the outside must be baffled at our lack of success. Even Saban as Bamas coach mentioned years ago that this UT program was being mismanaged. I remember a few posters back at the end of the last decade talking about it on another UT board. Most of us dismissed the idea that the AD and boosters were bungling the program. We were wrong then and I predict will regretfully be wrong again if a change in HC isn't made soon.

If a new coaching search ensues, be prepared to be humiliated while coach after coach turns us down. UT is a mid level SEC position now. If you think that Tennessee is a Top 10 coaching position, you're deluding yourself. A lot of prestige was lost with the Fulmer firing, the Kiffin debacle, and the Dooley years.

VN Store

Back