Hurricane Michael

I have a friend from here in Georgia who moved to LH a couple of years ago. They posted some pictures on facebook earlier, and it's a mess. They were very fortunate, and only had little damage compared to others.

It is absolutely crazy how it goes from very little damage, to starting to see a trees / houses damaged to WTF just happened in a matter of 10 miles.

It is absolutely crazy how it goes from very little damage, to starting to see a trees / houses damaged to WTF just happened in a matter of 10 miles.
I can't imagine. My friend showed pics of shingles gone, a little siding, and the mailbox. Their AC unit was destroyed, but compared to others he said they got off lucky.

Keep in mind, every one of those pics came from the west side of the storm, which is the least powerful side.

I have a feeling the death toll is going to rise significantly. I’m guessing a lot of people didn’t evacuate. Once the debris starts getting cleaned up, they will start finding the bodies.

I have a feeling the death toll is going to rise significantly. I’m guessing a lot of people didn’t evacuate. Once the debris starts getting cleaned up, they will start finding the bodies.

I was thinking the same thing but as of now they're only reporting 18 or 19 deaths depending on which outlet you watch.

Drove over to North Panama City today, Lynn Haven. My wife's brother-in-law has a house there and he is currently stationed in San Diego. It is a total war zone, pictures we have all seen do no justice. I took a direct hit(in the eye) from Ivan in '04 and an east side scraping from Katrina in '05 and they were minimal compared to what I saw today. I only live 45 minutes from Lynn Haven and can hardly believe the difference between here and there, we have no damage at all and they have entire fields of trees snapped off and neighborhoods that have half the houses with at best a partial roof. It will be many, many weeks before these people even get power back, much less home repairs. If you can help, please do. Also if you have been to Panama City and Panama City Beach, there is a world of difference between the 2 right now. PCB has full power(no cell service) and has minimal damage along back beach road. As soon as you cross the bay into Panama City, the entire world changes. Knowing what I saw was the west side of the storm, I really could not imagine what the east side looks like. Please continue to pray for everyone affected by this monster.

BTW, my wife's BIL's house took some serious damage on the back and roof and will need some extensive repairs. Thankfully, they are not living there currently.

EDIT: I know we have several members in The PC area and we are waiting to hear how they are doing. They currently have no power or cell service. I lost all cell service 20 miles out from Lynn Haven.
Hopefully they will check in at some point. Until then, I continue to pray.

The lightning is apparently indicative of a storm that is increasing in strength and intensity. Continues to do so, right up to landfall...

Thing looked like Charlie..just a wicked buzzsaw. I was lucky that evil little bastitch turned right a few hours before it would have hitting my house.

I've never been to Mexico Beach or that area, but I understand it is part of "Old Florida." That's sad, because most of that is gone now and will be replaced with new stuff. I'm not one of these anti-development people per se (especially where nothing exists to begin with) but where places like that do exist it is neat to see it preserved.

Reactions: Zues1
I wonder if building codes will be changed in the wake of Hurricane Michael? Somebody needs to explain to me why a good portion of Florida's electrical lines at least a few miles inland aren't buried underground?

I wonder if building codes will be changed in the wake of Hurricane Michael? Somebody needs to explain to me why a good portion of Florida's electrical lines at least a few miles inland aren't buried underground?

Money

It’s probably cheaper to replace the above ground lines every half century

Reactions: barknoxbrawler

I am not someone who is in that business or knows much about it, but I think it’s simple- money. I live in an area where most of the lines are buried, but there are still a few streets where they are not, including mine. After discussing it with some, it’s expensive. The number I heard was like $1 million every 100 feet or something ridiculous like that.

Edit: did not see the answer above but I agree.

I am not someone who is in that business or knows much about it, but I think it’s simple- money. I live in an area where most of the lines are buried, but there are still a few streets where they are not, including mine. After discussing it with some, it’s expensive. The number I heard was like $1 million every 100 feet or something ridiculous like that.

Edit: did not see the answer above but I agree.
I think it’s $1Mish per mile. You could replace poles 5 times for that amount.

flooding. and the relation to the water line. you need it a couple feet deep to protect it, water line probably isn't that far down in most places. and cost as others have said. beyond the cost of digging and burying the lines, fixing the lines is as expensive. some times its also purely a logistical thing with the preexisting buildings, and whatever other utilities are in the ground.

Reactions: TopsideVol
Hurricane Michael tore the water and sewer lines completely out of the ground and cut them in pieces on Cape San Blas.

VN Store

Back