Hurricane Michael

Thank you Volly! I know they'll have that place back in business in no time.
My sons went on a fishing trip to Indian Pass last year. Youngest went back this year (oldest was prepping to get married). And both talked about wanting to take a big family vacation to that area next year. I think we'll start a new family tradition (when they are ready for tourists to come back of course).

My sons went on a fishing trip to Indian Pass last year. Youngest went back this year (oldest was prepping to get married). And both talked about wanting to take a big family vacation to that area next year. I think we'll start a new family tradition (when they are ready for tourists to come back of course).

I think that is a great idea Volly. You won't be disappointed.

As soon as things are back to some sense of normalcy, we are going to take a trip down there and spend a whole whack of money. In my opinion, anyone who has ever spent time and enjoyed themselves in any of the hardest hit areas, owes it to those folks to go spend a lot of money there to help out. This isn't Tampa/St. Pete or Key West or Miami that can recover in a couple of months because of the mega $$ in those areas... This is a hard-working blue collar area that puts up with our tourist activities all for the sake of the extra income it helps to bring into their struggling economy.

If you didn't know, Port St. Joe was not doing well for a long time. It was a very depressed town. Basically all they had was the paper mill, the prison and the schools for jobs. Almost every business in PSJ is locally/family owned. And they are feeling that depression and desperation again right now, I guarantee you. I am feeling it with them.

It's not a large amount of tourism money, but it has helped to upgrade a lot of public facilities and businesses in and around PSJ. They have a hospital now, some new schools, a new building for the community college, an upgrade on the airstrip, etc.

I love this place and feel such an attachment to it. I am not a beach person by any means (give me the mountains any day over the beach), but there is just something about the CSB, PSJ, SGI and Apalach area that just feels like home.

Reactions: CPA and 1972 Grad
A buddy of mine has a vacation rental on CSB - They just put a ton of fly-over pics, on their Facebook page, of what is now "Island SB"

FB page is "Greg and Kim's Holey Mackeral"

Dozens of pics.......I hope you guys that have places down there see yours still standing!!

A buddy of mine has a vacation rental on CSB - They just put a ton of fly-over pics, on their Facebook page, of what is now "Island SB"

Dozens of pics.......I hope you guys that have places down there see yours still standing!!
Thanks. I found mine last night on those pics, and then again this morning from UTV13's link from a different angle. It looks really good from what I can tell, but who knows when you get up close. At least it's still standing and still has siding and a roof.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong because I don't have Facebook or use it. But I can't find anything with that name through a google search or trying to search on facebook.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong because I don't have Facebook or use it. But I can't find anything with that name through a google search or trying to search on facebook.

It comes up when you are a FB member and search at the top of your page. If you are not, I do not know what to tell ya, sorry.

The two houses we lived in MB are still standing with minimal damage sustained according to the overhead shots available on NOAA.

The one we rented for a year, about 150 yards from the beach, looks almost totally unscathed. The one we owned for 6 years, about 400 yards from the beach, is missing some shingles. The houses around both didn't fare so well.

Last edited:
Drove over to North Panama City today, Lynn Haven. My wife's brother-in-law has a house there and he is currently stationed in San Diego. It is a total war zone, pictures we have all seen do no justice. I took a direct hit(in the eye) from Ivan in '04 and an east side scraping from Katrina in '05 and they were minimal compared to what I saw today. I only live 45 minutes from Lynn Haven and can hardly believe the difference between here and there, we have no damage at all and they have entire fields of trees snapped off and neighborhoods that have half the houses with at best a partial roof. It will be many, many weeks before these people even get power back, much less home repairs. If you can help, please do. Also if you have been to Panama City and Panama City Beach, there is a world of difference between the 2 right now. PCB has full power(no cell service) and has minimal damage along back beach road. As soon as you cross the bay into Panama City, the entire world changes. Knowing what I saw was the west side of the storm, I really could not imagine what the east side looks like. Please continue to pray for everyone affected by this monster.

BTW, my wife's BIL's house took some serious damage on the back and roof and will need some extensive repairs. Thankfully, they are not living there currently.

EDIT: I know we have several members in The PC area and we are waiting to hear how they are doing. They currently have no power or cell service. I lost all cell service 20 miles out from Lynn Haven.

Last edited:
Drove over to North Panama City today, Lynn Haven. My wife's brother-in-law has a house there and is currently stationed in San Diego. It is a total war zone, pictures we have all seen do no justice. I took a direct hit(in the eye) from Ivan in '04 and an east side scraping from Katrina in '05 and they were minimal compared to what I saw today. I only live 45 minutes from Lynn Haven and can hardly believe the difference between here and there, we have no damage at all and they have entire fields of trees snapped off and neighborhoods that have half the houses with at best a partial roof. It will be many, many weeks before these people even get power back, much less home repairs. If you can help, please do. Knowing what I saw was the west side of the storm, I really could not imagine what the east side looks like. Please continue to pray for everyone affected by this monster.

BTW, my wife's BIL's house took some serious damage on the back and roof and will need some extensive repairs. Thankfully, they are not living there currently.

EDIT: I know we have several members in The PC area and we are waiting to hear how they are doing. They currently have no power or cell service. I lost all cell service 20 miles out from Lynn Haven.
I have a friend from here in Georgia who moved to LH a couple of years ago. They posted some pictures on facebook earlier, and it's a mess. They were very fortunate, and only had little damage compared to others.

VN Store

Back