Hurd is a waste of a Down

Hurd doesn't fit this scheme. He needs a fullback and run straight ahead or off tackle. With power blocking. No holes. And he is a bigger target for the defenders. Great player. Used wrong scheme wise

Hurd doesn't fit this scheme. He needs a fullback and run straight ahead or off tackle. With power blocking. No holes. And he is a bigger target for the defenders. Great player. Used wrong scheme wise

I agree. But doesn't a good coach design his scheme around his talent, instead of the other way around? It's like trying to make Dobbs a pocket Passer, when instead he is at his best when he is improvising. The problem is debord isn't utilizing the talent we have.

Hurd is most likely going to be the all time rushing leader at Tennessee and some of you think he sucks? That's a whole different level of stupid for this place.

Reactions: 5 people

This is my opinion too. I am still puzzled why we ran this at least half a dozen times in the Outback Bowl but never developed it more this year. Was it just for laughs?

Hurd is most likely going to be the all time rushing leader at Tennessee and some of you think he sucks? That's a whole different level of stupid for this place.

Nobody is saying " Hurd sucks"... What we are saying is, there are two other backs, get them the damn ball.

No one could of ran behind our OLine tonight. With that said and Vol74 can dislike it all he wants. Yes, Kamara does deserve some more of the touches. Hurd and Kamara are both good backs who need to be utilized and in the correct way. That's hard to do when the OLine can't block anyone. And I also have little faith in Debord to get it done if they could block.

Reactions: 2 people
So my question is when did the scheme change exactly? If he didint fit our scheme then why did he come here?..I'm glad he did but what exactly is the difference from our previous OC and this one it seems like the same offense but the line is a lot worse this year than last year

He was hit behind the line virtually every time he touched the ball. There was no real threat for dobbs to pull it run so they teed off on Hurd. Not much you can do against that defense with the patchwork line we had out there.

Reactions: 2 people
No one could of ran behind our OLine tonight. With that said and Vol74 can dislike it all he wants. Yes, Kamara does deserve some more of the touches. Hurd and Kamara are both good backs who need to be utilized and in the correct way. That's hard to do when the OLine can't block anyone. And I also have little faith in Debord to get it done if they could block.

I agree with this. They are both fantastic talents that need to be utilized. However, like you, I have little faith in debord making that happen

I agree. He seems to have lost the explosiveness when immediately getting the hand off, almost like he has to think more than just get it and go. He's just.....off, for whatever reason.

Yes! Exactly this past offseason he focused on his speed a lot and he had ok speed but I believe he lost all his power he looks slimmer to me and shys away from contact he was always better running through people instead of trying to go around them and that's what he's done all year I don't know just not the same power back we seen his freshman and sophomore year

Reactions: 1 person
By no means do I want people to think that I don't want kamara to get more touches, because I definitely think he should. I thought that last year. I felt a 1-2 punch of Hurd and kamara would help keep both guys heavier, longer. But wanting kamara to get more touches and thinking that Hurd is a waste of a down don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
Even a great RB has to have great blocking which we don't have unfortunately. Even Fournette would get beat to death behind this O-Line.

I would like to see Hurd line up as a fullback and block for Kamara.

It worked that one time we tried it, maybe Debord had dimintia or some other memory problem and forgets which plays worked and which ones didn't. And the only thing logged in his long term memory is HB Dive

After some time thinking about this situation, Hurd should get less touches and should be less used in our gameplan. Sorry but if he produced more it wouldn't be this way.

Reactions: 1 person
After some time thinking about this situation, Hurd should get less touches and should be less used in our gameplan. Sorry but if he produced more it wouldn't be this way.

Having a O-Line that's least worth a sh*t helps a RB's production a ton too.

The problem is that everybody in the stadium knows he is getting the handoff on first down.

This , the main reason . No blocking second.
The only way he gains yards is run over or carry tacklers with him.
Put him behind a good OL with a good OC and he is a 1000 yard rusher easy!

VN Store

Back